PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Khannie

Post by Khannie »

jonny wrote:@Khannie:

x264 support only uncompressed avi (both on windows/linux)
on windows we use avisynth to frameserve, there is a minitut some pages ago
(in case you have missed there is also the possibility to compile mencoder with the modified x264 support - so no need to pipe or frameserve)
Didn't know that about the windows x264, though I did try using avs files with wine, I had no joy there. You can't compile in any avi support for x264 on linux as it requires windows.h. :)

I haven't tried the mencoder build because it's a pain in the bum on linux to add codec support so I just use the default apt repository version. I'm actually really happy with the way things are though. :) I was just looking for a way to optimise my encodes.

Congrats on the world cup victory btw.

@eingang: The best way to do this would be to append the avi files together before encoding to pmp.
karnare

Post by karnare »

to jonny:
It seems that after calling sceIoReadAsync(), the file pointer points the right place where the next packet starts. But why calling sceIoLseek32() to move to the same offset before reading the packet?
jonny

Post by jonny »

this is not true when you seek with ff/rw
iirc removing/optimizing sceIoLseek32 doesn't change the performance
karnare

Post by karnare »

jonny wrote:this is not true when you seek with ff/rw
iirc removing/optimizing sceIoLseek32 doesn't change the performance
I see, thanks a lot!
And I wonder that why choosing sceIoReadAsync instead of sceIoRead.
Can I use sceIoRead only to get the data buf? Thanks.
jonny

Post by jonny »

the reading of the next packets block is done in parallel with the decoding of the current packets block
in this way reading routines have the cost of 0 (with a memstick there could be a boost of 2-4 fps on high bitrate portions, using an hd, for example the datel hd, the speed boost is around 12-15 fps)

you can substitute sceIoReadAsync with sceIoRead (you should also change wait_asynchronous_buffer with a function that simply return 0)
you'll get a speed penality that change based on the memstick used (if you search in this thread there was a public test/benchmark some months ago)
csuper

Post by csuper »

Hye Jonny,

I've seen lately, pop-up some news, about custom firmware...
I'm wandering if you think possible to add natively pmp mod to a custom firmware... ? (PMP file accessible directly in the VIDEO tab of the XMB would be so nice, no ? ;)

Also do you think it's possible, to unlock the resolution limitation for the xmb (example 480x272 for MPEG ASP profile in FW 1.5 or 480*272 for MPEG AVC in FW 2.+)... ?

CIAO.

csuper.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Would a resolution of 480x352 run smoothly on the new version?Cause i need that resolution for 4:3 videos.IS it better displayed than a distorted 480x272 or a cropped file?
jonny

Post by jonny »

@csuper:

interesting question but ... i don't have an answer :)

@therock003:

is there any reason to not use 360x272?
also remember that no matter what the resolution is, you can force 4:3 aspect ratio with the player (and using the zoom, you can reduce black bars at the cost of some cropping)

PMP Mod v2.02 is out.

- Speed increase (640x272 MPEG4-SP goes at ~28fps).
- Fixed some audio problems (random pops, mainly audible with headphones).
- Added loop option (x + right trigger to toggle).
- New key mapping.

it's really hot here, don't expect big updates for some time :P
psp

Post by psp »

i checked the new 2.02 at 592*320 xvid movie
work flawless !!!!

we are getting closer to run untouched movies without any transcoding

can you add a option to chance cpu speed to 222 (or 266) ?
jonny

Post by jonny »

can you add a option to chance cpu speed to 222 (or 266) ?
sadly i have some strange behavior if i use a lower clock, i'm still investigating
scyrax

Post by scyrax »

@jonny

Any progress on how to make 720x480 AVC working?
Khannie

Post by Khannie »

jonny wrote:PMP Mod v2.02 is out.
:o

After the AVC release, I didn't expect any further development on the "standard" PMP Mod.

Out of interest: Why is it that you have done further work on it given that the AVC player is technically superior?
The only disadvantage I've seen with it is increased encoding times. For a high quality 480x272, 2 pass encode, the worst case for me is 1.6 times the length of the original video (I have a 3800+ x2 at 2.4GHz) where the 2 pass xvid encode for the PMP Mod 2.x took about 0.8 times the length of the original video.

Encoding times aren't a big issue for me anyway. I usually kick them off from work or last thing at night, so they're running while I'm away from the computer.
jonny

Post by jonny »

@scyrax:

research in this direction is actually stopped (magiK probably doesn't have enough motivations, and i'm sharing the same feeling about this)

@Khannie:

actually i find the standard version more interesting/challenging
the prospective of playing mpeg4asp video without the need of reencoding is quite attractive (and this is the new target for the std pmpmod version)
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

jonny wrote: actually i find the standard version more interesting/challenging
the prospective of playing mpeg4asp video without the need of reencoding is quite attractive (and this is the new target for the std pmpmod version)
Does this mean that there's a chance we could have ipod-compatable mp4 (read; diggnation, frederator, etc) files running without re-encode (ie: just muxing)??

I can /just/ barely get them running with PSPlayer MT, but it "hiccups" every 10 seconds or so which makes them functionally unwatchable
csuper

Post by csuper »

Full Metal alchemist (yeah !)
Gumnn (re-Yeah !)
What's next ??? ;)
Cowboy Bebop ?

Anyway, I'm loosing myself...

I'm testing right now 2.02 :
-----
NARUTO 640*480 episode --- stream copy + VBR 112 kb ---
=>Strong Crackle & Tuttering during the generic but some part of the episode is OK (just a bit of crakle behind) !?
Amazing work between 2.01 and 2.02 and btw time of encoding < 2minutes :), Keep up the good work jonny.
-----
I've tested with a CBR 112kb audio - no change.

B R A V O !
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Khannie wrote:
jonny wrote:PMP Mod v2.02 is out.
:o

After the AVC release, I didn't expect any further development on the "standard" PMP Mod.

Out of interest: Why is it that you have done further work on it given that the AVC player is technically superior?
The only disadvantage I've seen with it is increased encoding times. For a high quality 480x272, 2 pass encode, the worst case for me is 1.6 times the length of the original video (I have a 3800+ x2 at 2.4GHz) where the 2 pass xvid encode for the PMP Mod 2.x took about 0.8 times the length of the original video.

Encoding times aren't a big issue for me anyway. I usually kick them off from work or last thing at night, so they're running while I'm away from the computer.
Don't forget also that standard MP4 is better for real time encoding in the PC + wifi streaming like the pimpstreamer mod. At least i doubt my PC is enough powerful to handle real time AVC encoding.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

jonny wrote: @therock003:

is there any reason to not use 360x272?
also remember that no matter what the resolution is, you can force 4:3 aspect ratio with the player (and using the zoom, you can reduce black bars at the cost of some cropping)
I hate bars being displayed at the left and right of the screen.Now that higher res is supported,wouldn't it be better to use standard 4:3 resolutions?
jonny

Post by jonny »

@jackandjohn:

it depends by what is exactly contained in "ipod-compatable mp4", you should give me detailed specs (i'm lazy to search :P)

@csuper:
Full Metal alchemist (yeah !)
Gumnn (re-Yeah !)
What's next ??? ;)
Cowboy Bebop ?
too early to answer this, i don't have idea :)
NARUTO 640*480 episode --- stream copy + VBR 112 kb ---
=>Strong Crackle & Tuttering during the generic but some part of the episode is OK (just a bit of crakle behind) !?
Amazing work between 2.01 and 2.02 and btw time of encoding < 2minutes :), Keep up the good work jonny.
actually i'm using a 640x384 clip as speed reference (this goes ~22fps - always without gmc/qpel)

@therock003:
I hate bars being displayed at the left and right of the screen.Now that higher res is supported,wouldn't it be better to use standard 4:3 resolutions?
you have do decide if you like deformed picture or not.
1) if you accept a deformed picture, you can simply encode @480x272
2) if you want correct aspect ratio, you should crop top/bottom slices of the original video (to obtain a 16:9 picture) and encode @480x272
encoding @480x352 doesn't change the things too much:
with aspect ratio set to original, 480x352 is automatically resized to something near 360x272
you can always zoom until black bars goes away, obtaining the result described in 2) (with the difference that you have wasted space encoding top and bottom slices that are actually not visible)
softgun

question regarding AVItoPMP

Post by softgun »

I'm still sort of new to PMP encoding...I'm using the new AVItoPMP (release a couple days ago), and when I try to encode a lot of AVI's, I keep getting "Status: only stereo/joint stereo is supported!"

And of course there's no PMP file afterwards, so I'm guessing this is some error on my part. On other programs, this message comes up as an error, saying nothing was transcoded.

I'm basically trying to encode a 368 x 272 video to AVC PMP for Jonny's mod.

Thanks in advance guys.
Sudds

Post by Sudds »

AVItoPMP doesnt support AVC at the moment mate, try Xvid4psp http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... post852802
Scroll down to last post.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

AVItoPMP does support AVC!
Grab the latest release ;)
Later,

Alcahest
Sudds

Post by Sudds »

Great! Thanks for the eye opener Alcahest.
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

jonny wrote:@jackandjohn:

it depends by what is exactly contained in "ipod-compatable mp4", you should give me detailed specs (i'm lazy to search :P)
I guess I can give you that luxury ;P

From http://www.dv.com/features/features_ite ... =183701552:

-320 x 240 video window,
-a video data rate of up to 768 Kbps,
-playback at 30 frames per second,
-a baseline profile up to level 1.3
-an AAC-LC audio track with a data rate up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz stereo.
-H.264 MPEG4 video

As an example of content that stutters:
http://downloads.revision3.com/torrents ... 4v.torrent

Second (smaller) example:
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.m4v ... yte023.m4v

My assumption is that it's the combo of H.264 and AAC that really kills the psp - if we could even get away with only having to transcode the audio and put it in a PMP container in order for it to be smooth; I would be happy :)
jonny

Post by jonny »

@softgun:

the message mean that you are passing a mono mp3 to the muxer

@jackandjohn:
-H.264 MPEG4 video
sadly not.
the h264 software decoding (in libavcodec) is still unoptimized for psp, you'll obtain the same poor performance.
on the other side, hardware assisted h264 decoding (as in pmpmod avc) require some constraints that make the ipod streams incompatible
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

jonny wrote: @jackandjohn:
-H.264 MPEG4 video
sadly not.
the h264 software decoding (in libavcodec) is still unoptimized for psp, you'll obtain the same poor performance.
on the other side, hardware assisted h264 decoding (as in pmpmod avc) require some constraints that make the ipod streams incompatible
Aww :(
I don't suppose there's a way to shortcut, and apply those constraints without having to re-encode? (A long-shot, I know, but I use democracy tv, and subscribe to a fair number of video podcasts)
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

use PMP VLC
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

jockyw2001 wrote:use PMP VLC
For?
(It's a streaming app; PMPMOD is for video off the memory stick)
moontan77

Post by moontan77 »

jonny wrote:@scyrax:

Do you mean standard size xvids that a lot of ppl would have on modded xbox's etc or do you have no wish to do this at all?
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

jackandjohn wrote:
jockyw2001 wrote:use PMP VLC
For?
(It's a streaming app; PMPMOD is for video off the memory stick)
you can also play avi files, eg. h264 avc+aac, from memstick with it
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

jockyw2001 wrote: you can also play avi files, eg. h264 avc+aac, from memstick with it
Oh! I assumed it was just a client end for the vlc output from a pc, not an actual port of vlc.. I'll test it right away; thanks