PMP VLC 0.0.9 Player

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

gooms9

Post by gooms9 »

w00t... works for me. Thanks for the update
The1n

Post by The1n »

Very nice update, no hanging here now, only thing it stutters alot when streaming from PC, any idea the pc is powerful enough for this.

The1n
gooms9

Post by gooms9 »

I'm just curious, but would it be possible to modify it so it works via any wifi hotspot area? It would deffinitely be sweet to be able to stream your videos while on the go. Not sure if it would be stable enough, it's been crashing on me quite a bit, but for the future once you've cleaned up the code a bit.
Ody nOOb

Post by Ody nOOb »

Nice :)

Still some issues (need to do some more tests before I'll post them), but much better than 0.0.9 ;)

/Update

When I try to open my livestream, I get an error "AVC error: sceMpegAvcDecode failed. Press square button to stop playback

I opened the stream with the

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=600,width=360,height=272,fps=25,acodec=mp3,ab=48,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ogg,url=0.0.0.0:1234}}

(found in "How to stream from TV cards to PSP ")

Am I supposed to change that to h264 in order to use avc ?!?

/Update2

Tried it with

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=H264,vb=800,width=480,height=272,fps=25,acodec=mp3,ab=48,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ogg,url=0.0.0.0:1234}}

I don't get that error, but I don't get the stream to display (only 2 (encoded) lines are shown).

/Update3

While playing a DVD, I can only watch the first track.
As soon as it get's the the next (second) track, screen stays black.
Wifi light keeps flashing, which suggest that the stream is still delivered to the PSP (which must get out of sync or something like that).

Kind of tired of watching my movies intro ... :p
Last edited by Ody nOOb on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doble-U

Post by Doble-U »

ok now i can play videos or audio from the mem stick without a problem but i cant stream anything cuz it hangsthen i have to power down the psp any idea what it could be?
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Ody nOOb wrote:I don't get that error, but I don't get the stream to display (only 2 (encoded) lines are shown).
Your line is not entirely correct. I've described vlc 'sout' lines here:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=44240#44240
But here it is:

Code: Select all

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=600,width=480,height=272,fps=25,venc=x264{me=dia,subme=1,analyse=none,bframes=0,b-adapt=none,chroma-me=none,merange=1},acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2}:std{access=http,mux=ts,url=0.0.0.0:1234}
Generally AVC streams are a bit hard to start, sometimes you have to try 2 or 3 times before it runs. But then usually it's running very fluent.
I also recommend to reduce the video bitrate (vb) to 600 and increase the audio bitrate (ab) to 64
/Update3
As soon as it get's the the next (second) track, screen stays black.
Wifi light keeps flashing, which suggest that the stream is still delivered to the PSP (which must get out of sync or something like that).
That's a vlc dvd-playback issue. Use dvddecrypter to only rip the main movie then it's fine. In a next version I hope to add some more advanced dvd navigation controls.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

OK, that fixed my freezes/crashes.. good job.

Strange thing is, my Finding Nemo now appears as 4:3 and stutters like mad. (When I got it working on the previous release.. only got it working once, it played perfectly). Will have to play around with the settings..

Anyway.. good job on the fix.. thanks heaps.

EDIT1: OK, used the recommended High Qual DVD settings and all is well... Brilliant stuff!
Last edited by BazzaLB on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Doble-U wrote:ok now i can play videos or audio from the mem stick without a problem but i cant stream anything cuz it hangsthen i have to power down the psp any idea what it could be?
Looks like vlc is not correctly installed on your PC. You can test vlc by playing files locally on pc and when you connect with PMP VLC from your psp then you can observe what it does by observing the messages (Ctrl-M) and the playlist (Ctrl-P) windows.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

BazzaLB wrote:Will have to play around with the settings..
for sure, since the default pmp.ini settings supplied with Rev1 is 360x272 with avc off
Ody nOOb

Post by Ody nOOb »

jockyw2001 wrote:
Ody nOOb wrote:I don't get that error, but I don't get the stream to display (only 2 (encoded) lines are shown).
Your line is not entirely correct. I've described vlc 'sout' lines here:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=44240#44240
sry, missed that ...
jockyw2001 wrote:But here it is:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=600,width=480,height=272,fps=25,venc=x264{me=dia,subme=1,analyse=none,bframes=0,b-adapt=none,chroma-me=none,merange=1},acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2}:std{access=http,mux=ts,url=0.0.0.0:1234}
Generally AVC streams are a bit hard to start, sometimes you have to try 2 or 3 times before it runs. But then usually it's running very fluent.
I also recommend to reduce the video bitrate (vb) to 600 and increase the audio bitrate (ab) to 64
Hey that works great, tx :)

Now I only need to find a way to get VLC to support sound from my crapy Pinnacle PCTV USB2 ... :p
/Update3
As soon as it get's to the next (second) track, screen stays black.
That's a vlc dvd-playback issue. Use dvddecrypter to only rip the main movie then it's fine. In a next version I hope to add some more advanced dvd navigation controls.
k, keep up the good work :)

Some more questions:

Am I right in supposing that we have to play "vlc-enable.avi" everytime we restart pmp vlc player ?
At least avc_hw seems to only work for me IF I played that avi before ...

Would it be possible to automagically support sub-directories of indicated videopath and musicpath ?!?

Especially usefull for music, as most users will have it organised in sub-folders (or iTunes does it for them/me ...).

/Edit

Any chance you'll support switching TV channels some day ?!? :)
Last edited by Ody nOOb on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

jockyw2001 wrote:
BazzaLB wrote:Will have to play around with the settings..
for sure, since the default pmp.ini settings supplied with Rev1 is 360x272 with avc off
Yep, used the recommended HQ DVD settings and it works a treat... absolutely brilliant.. Finding Nemo smooth as silk @ 480x272
Jim

Post by Jim »

The new path handling patch fixes it for me, thanks!
Jim
gooms9

Post by gooms9 »

not sure if it's just me or what... but dvd playback works perfectly for about 8 or so minutes then just freezes and VLC crashes.
matr1x

error with VLC

Post by matr1x »

i can see my videos on the pc from my psp, but when i choose one of them i get the error on vlc -- 'no suitable modules'

my psp then just hangs at the loading screen text.

anyone know what is causing this. i uninstalled vlc on my pc and reinstalled all the files from page 1 of this thread again.

thanks for any help
BazzaLB

Post by BazzaLB »

gooms9 wrote:not sure if it's just me or what... but dvd playback works perfectly for about 8 or so minutes then just freezes and VLC crashes.
I played the first half hour of Finding Nemo... No problems. I was having issues until I used the pmp.ini settings provided in the archive for HQ DVD though.
Doble-U

Post by Doble-U »

jockyw2001 wrote:
Doble-U wrote:ok now i can play videos or audio from the mem stick without a problem but i cant stream anything cuz it hangsthen i have to power down the psp any idea what it could be?
Looks like vlc is not correctly installed on your PC. You can test vlc by playing files locally on pc and when you connect with PMP VLC from your psp then you can observe what it does by observing the messages (Ctrl-M) and the playlist (Ctrl-P) windows.
look at the file, that mesage appears a bunch lot of times

main warning: cannot select sockets (10038)
DocMAX

Post by DocMAX »

@JockyW2001

works now for me too. but can u explain now why the old version worked for you psp?

EDIT: The AVC Quality is awesome! Great work!!! But 2 Questions:

- is it possible to amplify volume (nomalise?)
- can i crop 4:3 videos to 16:9 (no stretch)
hoola

Post by hoola »

the previous version works for me. I have random crashes, but it plays my mp4/avc files fine. they are encoded for my psp to begin with. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I put the video bitrate at 600. I think it was 800 to start with.

I tried to grab the latest build but it says session invalid or some such messege. I'll try again later.

Nice work! As usual.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

If the only feature I use within PMPVLC is to stream from TV encoder, do I absolutely need the new VLC 0.8.5 client if I want AVC?

For now i'm using PMPVLC "normal" DV3 stream (not AVC) with the original 0.8.5 and it works.

The reason i would like to avoid installing the custom 0.8.5 is because I have tweaked the original very much already for it to work with my TV Encoder.

Jocky, could you explain what the difference is between original 0.85 and PSP-custom 0.8.5 when ONLY "stream from tv encoder in AVC" is considered?
I would like to mod my current installation rather than replace all my setup if possible.

Thanks for your hard work and 4/3 does work real nice in DV3... i wonder what it looks like in AVC!
Later,

Alcahest
tabs

Post by tabs »

great work!sorry for my english
i have only 2 problems:

1 i have ss2 dvb-s card and in the last version i could use it setting in vlc stream resize 0.25 and the psp reproduced it in full screen but in this version if i set it in psp the image it is very little

2 for avc i have to install codec in pc?i follow the read me but i have always the avc eror messege in psp.

thanks!
Last edited by tabs on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matr1x

Post by matr1x »

i am going mad.

have reinstalled vlc... pmpvlc on the psp connects to network. if i choose video it shows my films on the network. if i choose one, vlc says file cannot be opened and when i go to messages in vlc is says ' no suitable access module found'

what is causing this.. can anybody shed some light.

thanks
thejew

Post by thejew »

Wow ...
I have managed to stream my TV card @AVC 1200kbps with MP3 128kps and no hickups!!! The Picture looks awesome!! Watching Tour de France at the moment and can even see very small details! Realy incredible.
Thx so much jokyw2000 for your hard work!

btw. with my Athlon 2100 XP i get about 90 % CPU usage so thats about the power you need for AVC encoding, anything slower wont be able to encode AVC i gues.

If we just wouldnt need that VLC-ENABLE.avi it would be perfect :)!

I ll soon get internet connection with 800kbps upload, should be possible to watch high quality TV from all over the world for me then :)
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Ok one more round of free support :)

@Ody nOOb:
- Am I right in supposing that we have to play "vlc-enable.avi" everytime we restart pmp vlc player ?
- Would it be possible to automagically support sub-directories of indicated videopath and musicpath ?!?
- Any chance you'll support switching TV channels some day ?!? :)
- yes, RTFM :)
- listing subdirs and changing them is high on my priority list
- if there is a generic solution then yes (I believe there is)

@gooms9:
not sure if it's just me or what... but dvd playback works perfectly for about 8 or so minutes then just freezes and VLC crashes.
You mean VLC on PC crashes? What cpu do you use? I noticed that on my AMD 2400 PC VLC is rock stable, but on my notebook with 1GB and Intel Core Duo VLC often crashes for no reason.
I noticed that it helps to delete the directory 'vlc' in C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data and then restart VLC.

@Doble-U:
I found this in google: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/219
There seems to be a problem in the x264 module, but I never encountered it.
Perhaps it helps to delete the directory 'vlc' in C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data and then restart VLC.

@DocMAX:
- is it possible to amplify volume (nomalise?)
- can i crop 4:3 videos to 16:9 (no stretch)
how old are u? ;)
- very likely in a next version where codebase will be jonny's PMP MOD
- I think VLC can do cropping in real time, must check. If it is the case I need to add a param in pmp.ini

@Alcahest:
Jocky, could you explain what the difference is between original 0.85 and PSP-custom 0.8.5 when ONLY "stream from tv encoder in AVC" is considered?
I would like to mod my current installation rather than replace all my setup if possible.
x264 is the only modified module in the supplied VLC 0.8.5 compared to the original 0.8.5
(PSP uses a proprietary AVC encoding which has been reverse engineered by magiK)
Just note down your preferences and install the modified VLC 0.8.5. Should work fine.

@matr1x:
i can see my videos on the pc from my psp, but when i choose one of them i get the error on vlc -- 'no suitable modules'
Can you play these videos in VLC on PC?
It seems that VLC can't open your videos, since it says 'no suitable modules'

@hoola:
I tried to grab the latest build but it says session invalid or some such messege. I'll try again later.
You better download 0.0.9Rev1 since it is more stable. There are additional dl links on p.1 of this thread

@tabs:
1 i have ss2 dvb-s card and in the last version i could use it setting in vlc stream resize 0.25 and the psp reproduced it in full screen but in this version if i set it in psp the image it is very little
2 for avc i have to install codec in pc?i follow the read me but i have always the avc eror messege in psp.
1. press start button (twice) during playback to stretch the picture scale to fullscreen
2. RTFM (see p.1)

@thejew: that is fantastic, vb=1200!! and ab=64 or ab=128?
And yes, having access to my media from anywhere and anytime is also my ultimate goal :)
zero80473

Post by zero80473 »

hi i cant get this working my psp crashes when i selced video even when the vlc_enable.avi is on

hears the pmp.ini

# Net Io Config
[net]
con	    	= 1;   
vlc_server 	= 192.168.0.148;
vlc_port	= 8080;

pmp_server 	= 192.168.0.148;
pmp_port	= 3333;

debug	  	= 0;

videopath1	= F:\Video\;
videopath2	= ;
videopath3	= ;
videopath4	= ;
videopath5	= ;

musicpath1	= F:\Music\;
musicpath2	= ;
musicpath3	= ;
musicpath4	= ;
musicpath5	= ;

dvd_drive	= g:

# VLC transcoding settings
[transcode]
# set res_horiz = 360 for better performance
res_horiz	= 480;
res_vert	= 272;

# use_avc_hw is heavily experimental !!
# if set to 1 then automatically vid_codec = h264, aud_codec = mp3, and container = ts are set
# your pmp.ini settings are then superseded
use_avc_hw	= 1;

#vid_codec = DIV3;
#vid_codec = mp1v;
#vid_codec = mp2v;
#vid_codec = mp4v;
#vid_codec = DIV1;
#vid_codec = DIV2;
#vid_codec = h263;
vid_codec = h264;
#vid_codec = WMV1;
#vid_codec = WMV2;
#vid_codec = mjpg;
#vid_codec = theo;

vid_bitrate = 600;
vid_fps = 25;

# next transcoding parameter is only used if vid_codec = h264 !!
venc = x264{me=dia,subme=1,analyse=none,bframes=0,b-adapt=none,chroma-me=none,merange=1};

#aud_codec = mpga;
#aud_codec = mp2a;
aud_codec = mp3;
#aud_codec = mp4a;
#aud_codec = a52;
#aud_codec = vorb;
#aud_codec = flac;
#aud_codec = spx;
#aud_codec = s16l;
#aud_codec = fl32;

aud_bitrate		= 64;
aud_channels	= 2;

# resampling is not required on VLC server, it's just for experimenting
resample		= 0;
aud_samplerate	= 44100;

#container = ogg;
container = ts;
#container = ps;
#container = mpeg1;
#container = mp4;
#container = mov;
#container = wav;
#container = raw;
#container = asf;
#container = asfh;
#container = mpjpeg;

# live stream server
[live]
liveserver	= 192.168.1.13;
liveport	= 1234;
for the moviepath 1 i have a dir called video that has lots of other dirs Eg
f:/video/bleach/ and in there are the avis

and i installed vlc (the one that came with .0.0.9)

and set it up 2 the way the readme says

and vlc media console works when i type http://localhost:8080 and on my laptop when i type http://192.168.0.148:8080

how would i fix this

p.s sry for my spelling my keybord is fucked not all keys work without me hitting hard
plebihan

VLC cant play video stored on my pc

Post by plebihan »

Hi jockyw2001 ,
i have a little problem , when i try to load a video which on my pc, vlc display a message window on the pc : it says "unable to open k://filename.avi"

i don't know why there are two slashes in the path ...

here is my conf
# Net Io Config
[net]
con = 1;
vlc_server = 192.168.0.2;
vlc_port = 8080;

pmp_server = 192.168.0.2;
pmp_port = 3333;

debug = 0;

videopath1 = k:\;
videopath2 = ;
videopath3 = ;
videopath4 = ;
videopath5 = ;

musicpath1 = c:\Music\;
musicpath2 = ;
musicpath3 = ;
musicpath4 = ;
musicpath5 = ;

dvd_drive = j:

# VLC transcoding settings
[transcode]
res_horiz = 480;
res_vert = 272;
use_avc_hw = 1;
vid_codec = DIV3;
vid_bitrate = 600;
vid_fps = 25;
venc = x264{me=dia,subme=1,analyse=none,bframes=0,b-adapt=none,chroma-me=none,merange=1};

aud_codec = mp3;
aud_bitrate = 64;
aud_channels = 2;
resample = 0;
aud_samplerate = 44100;

container = ogg;

# live stream server
[live]
liveserver = 192.168.0.2;
liveport = 1234;
i tried videopath1 = k:; and videopath1 = k: it's does the same

local playing and streming playing work like a charm :)
could you help me please ??

Pacopad[/quote]
jockyw2001

Re: VLC cant play video stored on my pc

Post by jockyw2001 »

plebihan wrote:i have a little problem , when i try to load a video which on my pc, vlc display a message window on the pc : it says "unable to open k://filename.avi"
dunno, mybe vlc doesn't like rootdirs. Create a subdir movies and put your videos in it and change videopath1 to k:\movies\

@zero80473: maybe you should dl 0.0.9Rev1 from p.1 and reinstall the modded VLC 0.8.5. If you already use both, then I can not further help you.
Doble-U

Post by Doble-U »

jockyw2001 wrote:Ok one more round of free support :)
@Doble-U:
I found this in google: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/219
There seems to be a problem in the x264 module, but I never encountered it.
Perhaps it helps to delete the directory 'vlc' in C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data and then restart VLC.
ahhh man i tried everytning and nothing seems to work, its driving me crazy i want to use this app so bad
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Then perform some elementary tests to see if you have it installed correctly. Start off with std streaming (use_hw_avc=0) and copy VLC-ENABLE.AVI to your videopath1 directory. Make sure videopath1 is not a rootdirectory (see prev. post)

1. Start VLC on PC
2. Start a browser and enter:
http://localhost:8080/old/admin/pspfile ... =D:\movies
This should return the directorylist. If yes, continue with 3. otherwise check your shortcut, does it have the additional parameter? It should look like:
"D:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --extraintf=http
3. In VLC open file VLC-ENABLE.AVI from your videopath1. Does it play?

If all went well continue testing on PSP with 4

4. Start PMP VLC on PSP and enable network. Do you get an IP? Yes go on with 5, No, check your wlan settings and pmp.ini
5. Click select, select VIDEO. Do you see a directory list which includes the files in videopath1?
6. select net:/videopath1/VLC-ENABLE.AVI
Start playback on PSP and observe Messages and Playlist of VLC on the PC. Does playback start? Did you see VLC-ENABLE.AVI in the playlist? If playback failed, what is said in the messages window?

If everything worked move on with high quality streaming. Use a pmp.ini sample which has use_avc_hw=1 and do the same tests 4-6.
Don't forget before 6. you have first to start VLC-ENABLE.AVI from memstick.

Good luck
Doble-U

Post by Doble-U »

jockyw2001 wrote:Then perform some elementary tests to see if you have it installed correctly. Start off with std streaming (use_hw_avc=0) and copy VLC-ENABLE.AVI to your videopath1 directory. Make sure videopath1 is not a rootdirectory (see prev. post)

1. Start VLC on PC
2. Start a browser and enter:
http://localhost:8080/old/admin/pspfile ... =D:\movies
This should return the directorylist.
If yes, continue with 3. otherwise check your shortcut, does it have the additional parameter? It should look like:
"D:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --extraintf=http
3. In VLC open file VLC-ENABLE.AVI from your videopath1. Does it play?

If all went well continue testing on PSP with 4

4. Start PMP VLC on PSP and enable network. Do you get an IP? Yes go on with 5, No, check your wlan settings and pmp.ini
5. Click select, select VIDEO. Do you see a directory list which includes the files in videopath1?
6. select net:/videopath1/VLC-ENABLE.AVI
Start playback on PSP and observe Messages and Playlist of VLC on the PC. Does playback start? Did you see VLC-ENABLE.AVI in the playlist? If playback failed, what is said in the messages window?

If everything worked move on with high quality streaming. Use a pmp.ini sample which has use_avc_hw=1 and do the same tests 4-6.
Don't forget before 6. you have first to start VLC-ENABLE.AVI from memstick.

Good luck
that part i cant get anything to show on the browserit says on the bottom "Opening page http://localhost:8080/old/admin/pspfile ... \downloads" and nothing happens also i cheked the target and this is what i have ""C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --extraintf=http"
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Doble-U wrote:that part i cant get anything to show on the browserit says on the bottom "Opening page http://localhost:8080/old/admin/pspfile ... \downloads" and nothing happens also i cheked the target and this is what i have ""C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --extraintf=http"
Okay, check if you have pspfiles.html in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\http\old\admin

If yes, it's very likely a firewall running on your PC which blocks port 8080. So disable all firewalls and start testing again. If you get it to work open port 8080 to your local network.