DVDr's for data

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

FuNkY MoOsE

DVDr's for data

Post by FuNkY MoOsE »

ok, supposing im using on of the variety of methods that allow me to boot the ps2 of a cd//memory card, can I use dvdr's for data purposes (I dont think its possible to boot of them without comercial swap disk or mod chip so im not asking about that). One of the uses im thinking is large divx files, if anyone is wondering.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Reading data off of a cd/dvd without using a mod chip or one of the so called "swap tricks" is considered impossible.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
mharris

Post by mharris »

Drakonite wrote:Reading data off of a cd/dvd without using a mod chip or one of the so called "swap tricks" is considered impossible.
Does this include if you're using the Independence exploit?

Once I d/l a program via ps2link to the ps2, can I swap disks and have the prog read from the dvd/cd? Or does the "disc changed" code live in the ROM and prevent that?
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Drakonite wrote:Reading data off of a cd/dvd without using a mod chip or one of the so called "swap tricks" is considered impossible.
That is a very loaded statement :).
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

mharris wrote:
Does this include if you're using the Independence exploit?

Once I d/l a program via ps2link to the ps2, can I swap disks and have the prog read from the dvd/cd? Or does the "disc changed" code live in the ROM and prevent that?
The independence exploit doesn't do anything to allow reading of cd/dvds. It allows you to run homebrew code, but if you insert a disc the PS2 isn't supposed to be able to read it still acts like there is no disc.

Of course... If you insert a disc the PS2 can normally read (i.e. a PS2 game) you can read from it just fine.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

mrbrown wrote:
That is a very loaded statement :).
Maybe I should have clarified and said a cd-r... reading from a PS2 game cd works fine...

Or is that not what you meant? ;)
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
FuNkY MoOsE

Post by FuNkY MoOsE »

ok so if I want to run stuff off a cd or dvd I need a mod chip or a swap disk like swap magic?
mharris

still confused

Post by mharris »

Drakonite wrote:The independence exploit doesn't do anything to allow reading of cd/dvds. It allows you to run homebrew code, but if you insert a disc the PS2 isn't supposed to be able to read it still acts like there is no disc.

Of course... If you insert a disc the PS2 can normally read (i.e. a PS2 game) you can read from it just fine.
OK, lemme rephrase my question, since I'm still a little confused.

Say I write an app that can be dowloaded via ps2link to my ps2. I have a large data set -- textures, models, sounds, whatever -- that I don't feel inclined to load over ps2link. Can I burn these to a CD-R and pop it into the ps2 after the exploit has loaded, and my app can read the data files from the disc?

ps2 is *not* chipped, btw.

Sorry for being dense
m

edit: I understand that there's no CD/DVD code in ps2link, so naturally I'd be using the rom0:CDVDMAN (or whatever it is) to access it.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Like Drakonite says, the PS2 is in the same condition after the exploit, so no, you still couldn't just pop in a plain data CD and read data off of it.

IMO, with the proliferation of the network adapter and homebrew HDD drivers it makes a lot more sense to ditch the slow, read-only, error-prone CDVD drive and use the HDD for everything :). HDD is faster, as big as any newer HDD that will fit the adapter (I've heard of at least 80GB drives being used, not sure about 120GB or higher), and we wrote all the drivers, so you have plenty of support :P.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

I agree with mrbrown that in most cases the HDD will be a much better solution.

However I can still see situations where reading from a CD would still be benificial, such as wanting to run on PS2s that don't have HDDs, more portable than a HDD, or to copy files to the HDD to start with.

If you are the type of person who agrees with those reasons, then you may want to keep an eye on ps2dev.org...
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development