AVItoPMP (1.2.0): advanced tool for pmp video

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

therock003

Post by therock003 »

Hey uNn bout the vbr option i've previously proposed,why not add a vbr box next to abr,so the user can select it if vbr is prefered?Cause i really think vbr option is better than abr.

BTW pegasts what is a k7 cpu?I used to have the same problem,but after i formatted my pc it's gone.
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

it's an Athlon K7 CPU..
btw i'll quote jonny's words.
i hope sum1 might find it usefull

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... start=1530

meybe there are users of K7 here and this might be useful
@pegasus:

can you try this mencoder?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TFHFRZ0P

(anyway mencoder uses x264, don't expect big speed differences)
djamm

Post by djamm »

Great, great program!!!

It works almost perfect for me...Recently, I ran into an except when I try and rip the dvd...and encode with the *.vob files...

It seems to go fine creates the pmp...but it doesn't play in the player...I am sure I must be doing something wrong....

Could someone please take the time to point me in the right direction, and let me know the steps - settings to make it happen...

cheers,

~djamm
felonyr301

Post by felonyr301 »

like your program but why is it that when encoding in avc it takes really long and when encoding the divx one it goes really fast and im sure i got the right one for me (AMD) and notice it does the same for all programs but they all use mencoder so im guessing its mencoder like to know why it does this i like avc but ill use the other one cause it takes to long to encode by the avc one.
edepot

new name

Post by edepot »

Why is it still called AVItoPMP when it supports .vob and other types of
input? Why not rename the app to VideoToPMP or MediaToPMP or along similar reigns?
NeoKnight

Post by NeoKnight »

well it doesn't support almost every type of extension there is so..... maybe it could be called Alltopmp. Then on top of that it could add support for mvk and other extensions.
Signature has been banned
Djakku

great but...

Post by Djakku »

Exellent program, I really like the stream copy option but I run into some problem with it: I've got a few time a DW x8! (not sure if i wrote it correctly) error for my aspect ratio. IFAIK PMP is now able to run higher resolution movies, but does it still have to be a multiple of 8 resolution?
could you add a check for resolution compatibility before enabling stream copy mode?
I have a pentium 1.5GH centrino and it take some time to transcode a hole movie, plus when the resolution error is displayed after compiying the movie and transcoding the sound, I'm kinda pissed that I waited for nothing :)
great job,you keep making it my favorite converstion App!

BTW another minimal request, could you add a minimize button on the upcoming version?
uNn99

Re: great but...

Post by uNn99 »

Djakku wrote:Exellent program, I really like the stream copy option but I run into some problem with it: I've got a few time a DW x8! (not sure if i wrote it correctly) error for my aspect ratio. IFAIK PMP is now able to run higher resolution movies, but does it still have to be a multiple of 8 resolution?
could you add a check for resolution compatibility before enabling stream copy mode?
Yes, it's a restriction of a pmp muxer. So a check for resolution will be usefull, maybe next build...
madmax2

thanks uNn99, avc file size

Post by madmax2 »

Hi uNn99 and everyone,
thanks for the great app uNn99.
I think it is a great app compared to xvid, for some reason that app seems to take forever to create some avs file.

Anyway I like to know why it is that avc is almost double the file size of an xvid file when i convert it despite leaving the same bitrate settings.
I thought avc was supposed to be smaller size with same great quality??

Also there seems to be a problem with wmv, i try converting to avc and then check the output and there is none, but mpg works.

Thanks again. And keep updating with new features.

:)
ColinZeal

Post by ColinZeal »

I´m getting crackling in the sound after 6 seconds when I run a clip.

I converted a clip of 42MB shot with a digital camera.
the settings are:
XVID, 368x272, Const. Quality, Q2, VHQ1, Use Sharp, chroma_opt, max-b-frames=0 (tried with off too)

BeSweet (Mencoder doesn´t save the clip on the harddrive after the encoding is finished?), cbr160 (tried with crb32 too)

Crackling sound, what´s up?
The crackling sound doesn´t happen when I run "Const. Bitrate", but I need the quality. :)

I run the clips with PMP Mod 2.02
Is there a better PMP Player out there?
(PMPlayer is just slooow.)
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

ColinZeal wrote:I´m getting crackling in the sound after 6 seconds when I run a clip.

I converted a clip of 42MB shot with a digital camera.
the settings are:
XVID, 368x272, Const. Quality, Q2, VHQ1, Use Sharp, chroma_opt, max-b-frames=0 (tried with off too)

BeSweet (Mencoder doesn´t save the clip on the harddrive after the encoding is finished?), cbr160 (tried with crb32 too)

Crackling sound, what´s up?
The crackling sound doesn´t happen when I run "Const. Bitrate", but I need the quality. :)

I run the clips with PMP Mod 2.02
Is there a better PMP Player out there?
(PMPlayer is just slooow.)
What "quantizer" do you set in Const. Quality mode? I think you get too high bitrate with it. Quantizer 3 or 4 should work well, but it depends on the video source. If there are some complex scenes then it may stutter with rather high bitrate.
ColinZeal

Post by ColinZeal »

I thought "Q2" spoke for itself. ;)

I tried with quantizer 6 and it worked perfectly. Except for that the quality is a bit worse, not that I can see the flaws. But knowing it theoretically is as bad as seeing it being bad.

How about me using the Mencoder for sound? It doesn´t save the clip on the harddrive after the encoding is finished?
That is weird. It seems as if the merging doesn´t happen before the tmp-files are deleted.
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

ColinZeal wrote:I thought "Q2" spoke for itself. ;)

I tried with quantizer 6 and it worked perfectly. Except for that the quality is a bit worse, not that I can see the flaws. But knowing it theoretically is as bad as seeing it being bad.

How about me using the Mencoder for sound? It doesn´t save the clip on the harddrive after the encoding is finished?
That is weird. It seems as if the merging doesn´t happen before the tmp-files are deleted.
Aaa, didn't notice q2 :) It's really too big bitrate for a psp. But q3 usually works w/o problems. Besides you can use AVC version of pmp player (AVC codec produces better quality with the same bitrate and avc pmp player gives you more fps, but encoding to this format is much slower).
And about "mencoder" - i have never had any problems with mencoder, but besweet not always works for me (it depends on the source). Maybe there's something strange with your video...
ColinZeal

Post by ColinZeal »

This is one of the clips i´ve tried to convert.
ftp://abpg:abpg@abpg.myftp.org/mov/MVI_1043.AVI
(10MB, filmed with a Canon Ixus 60, 6 MegaPixel)

I tried to convert to AVC but it wouldn´t run on my psp for some reason. Unknown format or something like that if I recall correctly.

And please try converting xvid with Mencoder to see if it´s a problem with my .avi?
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

ColinZeal wrote:This is one of the clips i´ve tried to convert.
ftp://abpg:abpg@abpg.myftp.org/mov/MVI_1043.AVI
(10MB, filmed with a Canon Ixus 60, 6 MegaPixel)

I tried to convert to AVC but it wouldn´t run on my psp for some reason. Unknown format or something like that if I recall correctly.

And please try converting xvid with Mencoder to see if it´s a problem with my .avi?
The problem is your video has mono sound (and muxer supports only stereo). Unfortunately I can't find the solution how to fix it in mencoder (in documentation it says mode=0 is stereo, but it makes mono mp3). But BeSweet makes stereo mp3, so just use it with mono sources.
About AVC: you have to use another player - PMP Mod AVC: http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/pmp_mod_avc/index.htm
ColinZeal

Post by ColinZeal »

Ok! Thanks for the tips.

btw, for a future version, it would be great to be able to select multiple files while selecting files for a batch job.

Great program! A pleasure to use.
ksilvert

Post by ksilvert »

I've been able to encode several files perfectly....very easy to use...I am having an issue with converting DVDs though. if I select either the drive letter that contains a DVD disk or select a TS_VIDEO folder on my hard drive, I get the following error message "I/O error 32".

Does anyone know what this means? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong....

Thanks

Ken
sachinwalia75

manual cropping tool required

Post by sachinwalia75 »

Hi,

I am just wondering if this tool supports manual cropping not by specifyng the co-ordinates but by doing a selection on the video itself. something like virtualdub or nero does.

please let me know if it does that thing and how do i do that.

thanks,

sachin
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

I can't download avitopmp from the links on 1st page. Can someone reupload them to another server?

Thanks
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I just got the rar from the link on the first page. Might just be a heavy traffic period when you tried it.
rakis

Post by rakis »

Since I've found this program, I've started re-encoding my video files with it, which brought me to a feature request.....

A lot of my anime DVDs have subtitles plastered all over the screen at times (Martian Successor Nadesico is a prime example) and was wondering if you could include/add-in a program that could read the unencrypted VOB file(s) and hard-encode those subtitle 'overlays' onto the video stream. The option to do it in one click would be quite welcome - but I wouldn't care if I would have to rip the subtitle overlays first then click on the "Use Subtitles" option.

Thanks for the nice, simple to use program though....sure beats what I was having to do before.
Tydude4Christ

Unbelievable

Post by Tydude4Christ »

I've used many pmp encoding programs and this by far is the easiest and noob-friendliest program that makes incredible quality movies.
@uNn99 thank you for this great program. I have one question/suggestion for you. You know how the program tells you how audio and video is off when you are done encoding. Is there a way to find out the difference before the encoding so that maybe you could add an auto corrector to the audio/video sync. Also is there a way to donate to you for your hard work.
csuper

Post by csuper »

Is this possible to manage MKV (with the possibilities to choose a specific audio track in a multiple audio possibilities and subtitles tracks : like the couple idx/sub directly from DVD rip) ?

Anyway I use only your program it is from far the BEST.

Regards.

csuper.
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

csuper wrote:Is this possible to manage MKV (with the possibilities to choose a specific audio track in a multiple audio possibilities and subtitles tracks : like the couple idx/sub directly from DVD rip) ?

Anyway I use only your program it is from far the BEST.

Regards.

csuper.
You can try to use advanced settings (general): -aid for audio channel (0 is first), -sid for subtitle stream and -vid for video stream. For example: -aid 1 -sid 1

Tydude4Christ wrote:I've used many pmp encoding programs and this by far is the easiest and noob-friendliest program that makes incredible quality movies.
@uNn99 thank you for this great program. I have one question/suggestion for you. You know how the program tells you how audio and video is off when you are done encoding. Is there a way to find out the difference before the encoding so that maybe you could add an auto corrector to the audio/video sync. Also is there a way to donate to you for your hard work.
Sorry, i don't think there's a way to find it before muxing (the final step of encoding). If somebody know how to check it with mencoder - say :)
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

I want to convert only part of a wmv file(first few minutes only) into PMP format. Can anyone guide me through the process please. Really appreciate it in advance. Thanks
MNOB07

Post by MNOB07 »

Like WinRAR has an option inside the right-click menu that let's you extract the files from an archive to a folder with no further user intervention or wizard, AVItoPMP should do similair with encoding based on predefined user defaults.

Is this still being developed?

That's one feature I think would make a great addition; shell integration.

Basically on the user side, first you define default encoding settings setting For example by deafult anything narrower than 16:9 will be formatted to fit 16:9. You'll choose constant 250kbps .h264 video and 96kbps audio using a certain encoder, number of passes and every other option.

Then, all you'll have to do is right click any compatible video file > encode as pmp and it starts running and dumps the .pmp file in the same directory. It will make the whole process that much more easier.

I'd also like to extend a long overdue Thank You to everyone who has developed AVItoPMP. This I believe is the cream of the crop as far as video converters go for the PSP.

I don't know any programming but I really hope that this feature can be added is anyone up to it?
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

yoshaw wrote:I want to convert only part of a wmv file(first few minutes only) into PMP format. Can anyone guide me through the process please. Really appreciate it in advance. Thanks
"Advanced" button -> check "encode only this fragment" and set "duration" to for example 00:05:00 (5 minutes)

2All I don't have much time now and besides functionality of the AVItoPMP fully corresponds with the needs of mine :) So, if anybody wants to make it even better and has a good knowledge of Delphi, i can give him the sources.
crassvs

Post by crassvs »

I would like to know what settings you are using for converting DVD movies. Is the "const. quality" or "const. bitrate" the methode of choice when size matters but quality does more? And what bitrate/quantizer settings do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
crassvs

Post by crassvs »

Nobody wanting to share their settings? Well, I have done some testing and found out that the standart settings for "const. quality" (with "use sharp) are giving good results. The quality is nice and the filesize about 500MB for a full DVD movie.

Anyway, thanks uNn99 for creating this GREAT and very useful application!
uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

crassvs wrote:I would like to know what settings you are using for converting DVD movies. Is the "const. quality" or "const. bitrate" the methode of choice when size matters but quality does more? And what bitrate/quantizer settings do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
With "const. bitrate" you can predict the final size of video (use bitrate calculator). But with "const. quality" the size will depends heavily on the complexity of video. And also take into account that "const. quality" mode uses 1pass. As for me - I prefer "const. quality" with videos that are not very big to be shure it will fit my memory card and when i don't want to wait for 2passes. And on the other hand, if i don't care about encoding time - i'd better use AVC version of player :)