PMP VLC 0.0.9 Player

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

I use this program a lot but not really to stream because I do not have WiFi. I was wondering, how much work and how hard would it be to stream to the USB port on PSP instead? I know VLC would probably need to be modified.

I'm just wondering if it is possible.
puppinoo

Post by puppinoo »

Hi,
Congratulation for this soft. It's amazing and proves that Psp is a great tech device.
I tried to use it to stream with my dreambox dm500. It works great with channels with low bitrates (max 1800bps) but when i try to stream (not transcoding but just stream) channels with higher bitrates (sky italy chans which are 2300+ bps) I receive discontinuity errors and others, and images appear with glitches and artifacts. This happens intercepting stream on 31339 port. tried using the port 31338 with same results.
Has anyone had the same problem and benn able to solve it?.

Thanks a lot and buy..and again congratulation for this great soft.

Bye.
puppinoo.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

@puppinoo: oh wow, you manage to directly stream from dreambox to psp?! I'm very surprised that this works w/o transcoding bitrate and resolution. The way it is supposed to work is to stream from dreambox to pc where the stream is transcoded by vlc which then sends it over to psp. On the pc I use a vlc wrapper called neutrinoTV. That works great.
zero80473

Post by zero80473 »

jocky can u code a volume control in to the menu (like dickydick has done but he did it with arrows up and down )

becuase all the sound is low when useing my headset (when lieing in bed watching a movie or 2 since my tv is packed away )

and can i use this with a tv - input card ? ? cheers :D
uneasy

Post by uneasy »

Found a bug: VLC hangs when I try to fast forward to the middle of the video.
puppinoo

Post by puppinoo »

Hi,
No im sorry if i failed to correctly explain my problem (im italian and my english sucks) Im having problem streaming stuff to my pc client so..before i actually transcode and send the compressed stream to psp. I thought it was clear but reading again the post i realized it sucks :) So you could even say this post is off topic cos the problem im having has nothing to do with using your great soft. Just I hadnt other place to ask. Tried to ask on Videolan forum but nobody has been able to help me. If that can be useful I can say that with dm500 the http string is a bit different its actually:
http://LAN IP:31339 (or 31338 but no audio stream)/VPID,APID,(always 0???),PMT,PCRPID , instead if im not wrong the combination for dm7000 was different..but i could be wrong.
I could even suspect its a problem only on the dm500 cos no dm7000+ user had it so far... at least i didnt read about it.
I even contacted one of the vlc developer who confirmed me he has never been able to handle bitrates higher than 2300bps in streaming. I cannot not believe him even if I saw many PC sat card users use those cards with vlc so I thought it was normnal to handle average bitrates of 2000+ bps.
BTW i dunno what else to do. I will have to be stuck with lower bitrates until I find a solution. Im even trying to compile a nightly release using cygwin...who knows...

BTW thanks a lot again for your soft. I dont care what people say about quality of games on psp but i think its hardware is great.

Bye
puppinoo.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

Running into problems getting this to work. I've set up the ini, added the port to my router port forwarding list, and on starting the psp app and hitting right trigger, it connects perfectly, but when I hit select and goto video, it only lists the sole mp4 file i placed as told to in the instructions.
No sign of any network files, and I created a folder called Movies on my C drive to match the inititial ini and added an episode of Red Dwarf but it won't smegging work :)

Any ideas? Do I have to do anything special to vlc other than the commandline?
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Kojima wrote:Any ideas? Do I have to do anything special to vlc other than the commandline?
You're on windows? The only vlc cmdline parameter is "--extraintf=http"
In pmp.ini try first with psp and pc both behind your router and set an ip for your vlc server (not a hostname). If that works it could be that port 8080 is used for remote management of your router and you must configure another port (e.g. 8081) in both pmp.ini and in vlc. I had to do that also. In vlc you can configure another port as follows. Start vlc w/o the extra cmdline param and in settings-preferences-interface-main interfaces-http check advanced options and enter e.g. "0.0.0.0:8081"

You can test on your pc by starting vlc with --extraintf=http then open a browser and enter the url:
http://192.168.13:8081/old/admin/pspfil ... =d:\movies\

puppinoo: I don't know the dm500, if it can run a neutrino image try it.

uneasy: In live streams you can't seek (i thought i have disabled that). In net: streamed files with some files it doesn't work and with some files it does. Don't expect immediate response it can take seconds before something happens, don't press too often in short time.

Shapyi: usb streaming is way down on my todo list
Djakku

Post by Djakku »

Thanks jockyw2001 for these clarifications, I had some problem with PSPVLC and now i'm gonna try using a different port now that I know how to configure them on VLC :)

BTW, i've been using VLC nightly build before using PSPVLC, do I have to install your compiled version even if i'm not going to use the AVC encoding?

Also, for those like me who use peerguardian, you have to deactivate it if you want to use the program properly or you won't be able to connect to you PC.

Oh, I almost forgot, GREAT JOB :)
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Djakku wrote:BTW, i've been using VLC nightly build before using PSPVLC, do I have to install your compiled version even if i'm not going to use the AVC encoding?
If you're not using AVC you can use the nightly. But don't forget to put pspfiles.html in http/old/admin !
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

zero80473 wrote:jocky can u code a volume control in to the menu (like dickydick has done but he did it with arrows up and down )

becuase all the sound is low when useing my headset (when lieing in bed watching a movie or 2 since my tv is packed away )

and can i use this with a tv - input card ? ? cheers :D
The extended control menu will be in 0.1.0. First there will be another 0.0.9 rev.3

Here are some nice wrappers for TV & DVB-T cards in windows:
http://anuragworld.googlepages.com/remotetv (TV)
http://www.jtvlan.org/ (DVB-T)

In remotetv just edit the #transcode{...} line in serverconfig.xml to suit PMP VLC, e.g.

Code: Select all

<ServerConfig>
	<ServerPort>5800</ServerPort>
	<ClientTimeoutSecs>120</ClientTimeoutSecs>
	<AudioDevice>none</AudioDevice>
	<VideoDevice>none</VideoDevice>
	<AllowMultipleClients>False</AllowMultipleClients>
	<VLCConfig>
		<Executable></Executable>
		<CommandLineArguments>dshow&#58;// --dshow-vdev "$videoDevice" --dshow-adev "$audioDevice" --dshow-size "" --no-dshow-config --no-dshow-tuner --dshow-tuner-channel $channel &#58;sout=#transcode&#123;vcodec=DIV3,vb=600,width=360,height=272,fps=25,acodec=mp3,ab=48,channels=2&#125;&#58;duplicate&#123;dst=std&#123;access=http,mux=ogg,url=$remoteHost&#58;1234&#125;&#125;</CommandLineArguments>
	</VLCConfig>
</ServerConfig>
I haven't tried any of them, but saw some positive feedback. For both tools I intend to build zap controls in PMP VLC if users ask for it here.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

jockyw2001 wrote:
Kojima wrote:Any ideas? Do I have to do anything special to vlc other than the commandline?
You're on windows? The only vlc cmdline parameter is "--extraintf=http"
In pmp.ini try first with psp and pc both behind your router and set an ip for your vlc server (not a hostname). If that works it could be that port 8080 is used for remote management of your router and you must configure another port (e.g. 8081) in both pmp.ini and in vlc. I had to do that also. In vlc you can configure another port as follows. Start vlc w/o the extra cmdline param and in settings-preferences-interface-main interfaces-http check advanced options and enter e.g. "0.0.0.0:8081"

You can test on your pc by starting vlc with --extraintf=http then open a browser and enter the url:
http://192.168.13:8081/old/admin/pspfil ... =d:\movies\
/quote]

Thanks for the tips but still no luck.

I tried changing the ports, 25645, then I opened the port and forwarded it in my router settings.
I then changed the port in vlc to match it, and the ini.

But then I tried your pc test, using this url.

to http://192.168.1.1:25645/old/admin/pspf ... =c:\movies\

but it just times out saying could not connect to the url. (Using opera 9 if that makes a difference.)
I then tried the psp app just to be sure and as before it listed no files.

Could it be windows firewall? (IT asked me about unblocking vlc the first time it ran and I did, so i don't think it is but you never know.)
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Kojima wrote:Could it be windows firewall? (IT asked me about unblocking vlc the first time it ran and I did, so i don't think it is but you never know.)
Yes, that's possible. Disable it and test again. If it works you should add an exception to windows firewall (vlc executable path and scope set to any computer) and then re-enable it.

Actually I don't think that's the problem if the browsertest on vlc server fails already. You get a page not found?
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

I'll give the firewall ago but I don't think it's that either tbh, since it already asked me if I wanted to unblock it. (unless there are other layers of security that need to be set manually)

and yep, well not page not found, the usual 'you have tried to connect to 'blah blah' which is unavliable'

it doesn't do so instantly, it tries to connect for about five seconds then timeouts.
puppinoo

Post by puppinoo »

Hi again,
Im testing the files streaming and i noticed that when u stop playback, even if it closes correctly, the file gets stuck in that position as if it was still used by some soft (vlc probably) so i cant rename it or move it to a different folder etc. I wonder if it happens to anyone else too. Probably I have to reboot but I was worried cos that means something is still in memory so memory is leaking (but of course its just a guess, i could be wrong). (EDIT: Just tried on another pc and that doesnt happen...so i have no idea...ill try to reboot and see what happens.).
Also I noticed the soft doesnt work using devhook and mounting 2.71. Its a real problem for a friend who has to use wpa encryption (not supported by 1.5), so I wondered if it can be fixed.
Also my biggest problem i have with many streaming versions of pmpmod, sometimes with this one or with mage version, is that if it goes in error (format not supported or anything else), the soft gets stuck. Thank God with this one i just turn off and restart, but with others HOME button doesnt work and console doesnt turns off and I have to remove battery.

BTW Thanks again for help and for this great soft.

P.s.: If someone uses this soft with a dreambox dm500, please let me know if you can intercept the stream from the db (not transcoding..just get the stream from the http db) of high bitrates (2000bps or higher) chans. cos i wasnt able to... no probs with lower bitrates (1800bps or lower).

P.s.: Just an idea ... To remotely execute the vlc maybe it could be possible to use a vba script called Exec.vbs. While looking for else I found out that XP has a server listening for vba remote execution on pot 500 or something like that and u can execute other vbscripts using that one from a pc client. Ive been able to use it on a lan ..but not from a wan ip.
If anyone interested :http://www.activexperts.com/axscript/vb ... roduction/ (and look for exec.vbs)
No idea theres any way to execute vbs on PSP though ..but if so...it was just to avoid another server/daemon running...probably its just easier to use Pocket vnc.

Bye
Pino.
Porkape

Post by Porkape »

Eagerly awaiting the next release Jocky for the new features and what not. The current one is working great except for my streaming files over a network. I did change the filepath to a simpler name i.e. D:/Shared and put all my music and movies in seperate folders within it but no luck. Anyway, I'm sure its something stupid I'll figure out over time.

On a side note, I found a couple of Icons and backgrounds for the PSP VLC Player for people who might need one. They're made by "shadow-evillink" and "raven" and the first ones I have seen.

Djakku

usage report

Post by Djakku »

Well, I may be late to do so, it may be not, but i decided to go through VLC for PSP.
I know that you've got a some features you want to add for the upcoming releases and bugs to fixes...
While waiting for a better version, (the improvement between each version are amazing), here are a few things that I wanted to share..

When I do a long pause (1min or above) and try to play back my video, it only play a few second before the apps hangs.
Maybe pressing the X button should also do pause the transcoding on the PC to fix that.. But i'm no coder
Also, I can't access the video without being connected to a network, the apps just freeze
I could never access the music function as my psp crahes as soon as I push the O button, (maybe bad config, I don't have Python intalled though)
I've got sceMpegAvcDecode failed when I tried to launch a mp4 converted movie (kill bill uncunt) but the sound worked fine
Also pspvlc crashes when I add more than 3 line to the movies directory (ex: d:\movie\ ; d:\concerts\ ; d:\musicvidz\)
I can scrool through dir1, but when I'm at then end, the files in the dir2 are mixed up with dir1 and as soon as dir2 finises, the app crash.

Well i'm sending a kinda pessimistic looking report but on the contrary, i'm truly amazed about your work and maybe this help making it even more great !
cheers and sorry for my wierd english

Nice backround picture i like the second one backround very much
w00blyn

Post by w00blyn »

Congrats on a great program jockyw2001.

I seem to remember there being a python script in one of the earlier releases, it was for a PMP Server. I don't suppose you have an xbox, eh? I was just thinking how cool it would be to run the PMP server script from XBMC. Streaming from xbox-->psp would be grand, because they make great home theatre/multimedia boxes.
puppinoo

Post by puppinoo »

That should be nice,
I have an xbox too and it became my ultimate media player. The fact is that xbox HD itself is almost empty because I stream everything from my pc Hds through samba server or even from an usb 2.0 HD connected to my router. So whatever I'd watch with my xbox I should always stream it from elsewhere. Btw it should be cool. It even has a great dreambox-TV python script which streams dreambox to xbox...That ìs really great. Now that i think about it, the streaming using that script seems much stabler than the one done with vlc... but it could be just me.

Bye.
puppinoo.
aface

Post by aface »

Jocky,

Any news on an update? The main reason i visit this site is to check this thread :)

Also, is there any chance you could post the source code for the rev2 version on the first post?

Thanks
Alex
mandros

Aspect ratio problem

Post by mandros »

Hi,
I have been investigating the aspect ratio problem. I think the right way to solve this woluld be to add "canvas" configuration to transcode.

Using canvas-aspect, canvas-width and canvas-height we can tell VLC the destination aspect ratio and it will add black borders when necessary.

I have tested this using live stream and it works as expected. And we can use 480x272 resolution. I have not tested AVC but should work too, I am not working with an AVC enabled VLC yet.

This is a typical vlc without canvas configuration:

vlc --sout="#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=500,width=480,height=272,fps=30,acodec=vorb,ab=128,samplerate=44100,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ogg,dst=0.0.0.0:1234}}" filename

And this using canvas:

vlc --sout="#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=500,canvas-aspect=16:9,canvas-width=480,canvas-height=272,width=480,height=272,fps=30,acodec=vorb,ab=128,samplerate=44100,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ogg,dst=0.0.0.0:1234}}" filename

PSP is almost 16:9. Maybe there is a way to be more exact (1.777=16:9 vs 1.764=PSP)

Maybe someone can try to add this changes on pmp.ini to test if it works using avc. It shall be like this:
venc = x264{me=dia,subme=1,analyse=none,bframes=0,b-adapt=none,chroma-me=none,merange=1},canvas-aspect=16:9,canvas-width=480,canvas-height=360;

Tomorrow i'll try to add the necessary code to PMPVLC009Rev1 source code and if it works I will post the changes.

Having Rev2 source code would be great too :-)

Congratulations for this great program.

Greetings.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

hi guys, I just returned from holidays and will pick up where I left

mandros: very nice thx!

Porkape: can you send me those nice images in the appropriate format, I like them both and will select one for the next update
Porkape

Post by Porkape »

jockyw2001 wrote:hi guys, I just returned from holidays and will pick up where I left

Porkape: can you send me those nice images in the appropriate format, I like them both and will select one for the next update
Good to have you back, I hope you had a nice break. You can just right click and save those as I hosted them on Imageshack just as I got them. But if you have a problem I can zip them up somewhere. Let me know. Cheers
mbf

Post by mbf »

jockyw2001 wrote:Porkape: can you send me those nice images in the appropriate format, I like them both and will select one for the next update
Can I vote for the second one, with the cinema ticket? ;)

Very very nice job btw jockyw2001 :)

I'd like to implement the necessary changes for PMP VLC to run under devhook (to get WPA WiFi). If my memory doesn't fail me, the AVC playback is done in user mode, is that correct? I would however have to remove support for everything else when running under devhook though (but does it really matter?).

Any chance you could post a recent snapshot of the sources? Thanks :)
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Hey All, I've been using PMPVLC for quite some time now and while i've been using it 100% to watch live stream with AVC, today i tried DVD and i have a very strange issue.

While live stream (from tvtuner/capture card) works abolutely flawlesly in AVC at 25FPS with no frame drops whatsoever (no kidding it's perfect), DVD is another story with crazy skipping, maybe 7 fps.

It's strange because if i hook up my external DVD player to my tvtuner composite input and "live stream" it, it's perfect.

But when VLC decodes this same DVD physically inside the PC, then the performance is extremely bad.

What makes me wonder is that my TVtuner delivers a TS MPEG2 stream so it should be as hard to decode/encode as a DVD shouldn't it? (and as hungry on ressources I guess).

Is there any setting in VLC i could alter to solve the skipping/bad perf problem?

Thanks for any info.
Later,

Alcahest
Jim

Post by Jim »

Well in one case your PC is decoding the DVD/video and encoding it for transmitting over the network. In the other case it's capturing and only doing the encoding. Sounds like your machine's not quite fast enough to do the former in realtime.

Jim
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

hey Jim, thanks for your input but i'm not sure if it's correct.
Because VLC only uses 60-70 % of the CPU, it's never maxed out.
Also, for streaming live streams from my video capture card, i had huge stuttering with caching set to 200 in VLC for Directx capture.
I set it to 300 and no more frame drops however when i do this for DVD source in VLC, it still isn't enough for the framerate not to be aweful.
Well, i'll play with it some more soon because i'm sure i can improve it one way or another.
Later,

Alcahest
Porkape

Post by Porkape »

I know I am slow and didn't try it earlier and now I have this app working 101% for me. I finally got to stream all my files which was the only thing I couldn't figure out due to lack of experimenting. All I had to do was have them in a folder in the root of the drive. I have a shared folder in My Documents folder and for some reason PSP VLC Player would not see it. I should have done this to begin with or perhaps when Jocky told me but I is lazy. How is the next update going? Mahalo
jockyw2001

Re: Aspect ratio problem

Post by jockyw2001 »

mandros wrote:And this using canvas:

vlc --sout="#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=500,canvas-aspect=16:9,canvas-width=480,canvas-height=272,width=480,height=272,fps=30,acodec=vorb,ab=128,samplerate=44100,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ogg,dst=0.0.0.0:1234}}" filename
I have built a Rev3 with support for this, but I'm having trouble with it. Vlc crashes each time when I play a file. Here's the url I send:

&#91;VlcRequestStream&#93; URL      &#58; http&#58;//192.168.1.13&#58;8081/?sout=#transcode&#123;vcodec=DIV3,vb=500,width=480,height=272,fps=30,canvas-aspect=16&#58;9,canvas-width=480,canvas-height=272,acodec=vorb,ab=128,channels=2&#125;&#58;standard&#123;access=http,mux=ogg,dst=&#58;8081/pspstream&#125;
Is there something wrong with what I send? I believe I took all of your recommended settings.
mandros

Re: Aspect ratio problem

Post by mandros »

jockyw2001 wrote:
mandros wrote:And this using canvas:

I have built a Rev3 with support for this, but I'm having trouble with it. Vlc crashes each time when I play a file. Here's the url I send:

&#91;VlcRequestStream&#93; URL      &#58; http&#58;//192.168.1.13&#58;8081/?sout=#transcode&#123;vcodec=DIV3,vb=500,width=480,height=272,fps=30,canvas-aspect=16&#58;9,canvas-width=480,canvas-height=272,acodec=vorb,ab=128,channels=2&#125;&#58;standard&#123;access=http,mux=ogg,dst=&#58;8081/pspstream&#125;
Is there something wrong with what I send? I believe I took all of your recommended settings.
Try launching vlc from command line:

vlc --sout="#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=500,width=480,height=272,fps=30,canvas-aspect=16:9,canvas-width=480,canvas-height=272,acodec=vorb,ab=128,channels=2}:standard{access=http,mux=ogg,dst=:1234}" filename

and use Live Stream to see the results.

I modified your code to include the canvas parameter. It worked for the first video but vlc crashed on the second. I don't know why but it keeps crashing using the last vlc snapshot from cvs.

In theory it should work, so maybe I should send a bugreport to vlc developer's team. Let me know if you have the same symptoms.

Greetings.