PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

jackandjohn wrote:
jockyw2001 wrote: you can also play avi files, eg. h264 avc+aac, from memstick with it
Oh! I assumed it was just a client end for the vlc output from a pc, not an actual port of vlc.. I'll test it right away; thanks
Ok; tested - it does the same as PSPlayerMT, but different symptoms:
Whereas MT stutters about every 2 seconds, but keeps sync -
pmpvlc drops sync, but processes all the frames (video goes very slow); takes about 7-10 seconds of difference before the audio starts stuttering.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Would be nice if you can post a sample somewhere.
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

jackandjohn wrote: As an example of content that stutters:
http://downloads.revision3.com/torrents ... 4v.torrent

Second (smaller) example:
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.m4v ... yte023.m4v

There are tonnes more, of course - video podcasting is gaining momentum :)
scyrax

Post by scyrax »

UMD sdk leaked,we should be able to encode MPS & PMF.I think it also Might be helpful for PMPmod AVC using larger resolution.
jonny

Post by jonny »

no one here is going to use illegal obtained pieces of the official sdk.

you also ignore my last answer about high resolution, in this way you easly run in getting no more answers.
scyrax

Post by scyrax »

If this would run into trouble,please just ignore what I said above,sorry.
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

The only thing with the sdk that might filter down is some of the api - for example, if it had documentation for the AVC api; the AVC would have been unlocked a long time ago.

Noone is going to admit to using the sdk directly, though.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

jackandjohn wrote:The only thing with the sdk that might filter down is some of the api - for example, if it had documentation for the AVC api; the AVC would have been unlocked a long time ago.
Sony's documentation is provided to developers under NDA and it is illegal to share. We have no interest in using it here.
Noone is going to admit to using the sdk directly, though.
These forums are not about "pretending" to be legit. Even just a hint that someone has illegal access to a SDK could easily get you banned. http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4081
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

Right, exactly: the SDK and official documentation are illegal and not allowed to be used.

That's basically the perspective I was coming from.
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

well more important is
nobody needs this
the scene decrypted the secrets on their own
Djakku

Post by Djakku »

And that's what HOMEBREW is all about, I may say..
karnare

Post by karnare »

to jonny:
Is it possbile to merge mod v2.0 and mod avc into one single mod? So it will be more convenient for users.
I found there is much difference between two mods, but I think the only difference should be just the decoder.So we would like to see as follows:
if(pmp2.0)
{
mp4_decode();
}
else if(pmp_avc)
{
h.264_decode();
}

But it seems not.Wish for your reasons, thanks!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

jonny wrote:no, the ME code in the standard version conflict with the avc code (plus, i'm more comfortable with 2 versions for many reasons).
As of some pages ago already clarified.
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

jackandjohn wrote:
jackandjohn wrote:
jockyw2001 wrote: you can also play avi files, eg. h264 avc+aac, from memstick with it
Oh! I assumed it was just a client end for the vlc output from a pc, not an actual port of vlc.. I'll test it right away; thanks
Ok; tested - it does the same as PSPlayerMT, but different symptoms:
Whereas MT stutters about every 2 seconds, but keeps sync -
pmpvlc drops sync, but processes all the frames (video goes very slow); takes about 7-10 seconds of difference before the audio starts stuttering.
Update: looks like firmware 2.8 supports ipod formatted mp4!
... now we just need emulated 2.8, or for someone to figure out how they did it and make a 1.5 version :)
Matrixdub

Post by Matrixdub »

What's the maximum resolution of a file I can use on the psp? I'm asking because there's a streamcopy option in avitopmp (no transcoding) and I always get Height > 480.

Does that mean my pmp files HAVE to be 480 or less in length? What about the guy that posted earlier in this thread with a 592 width file?

Thanks!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Matrixdub wrote:What's the maximum resolution of a file I can use on the psp? I'm asking because there's a streamcopy option in avitopmp (no transcoding) and I always get Height > 480.

Does that mean my pmp files HAVE to be 480 or less in length? What about the guy that posted earlier in this thread with a 592 width file?

Thanks!
The AVC version has a limit to 480x272 max, because the hardware decoder had problems handling bigger sized videos.
The standard version however is able to playback up to 720x512 videos, though it's slow.
<Don't push the river, it flows.>
http://wordpress.fx-world.org - my devblog
http://wiki.fx-world.org - VFPU documentation wiki

Alexander Berl
Matrixdub

Post by Matrixdub »

Thank you for the clear and concise response!!
yawoo

Post by yawoo »

Is there any guideline how to patch the source of mencoder, such that it produces pmp compatible x264?

x264-info_file.diff
x264-pictiming-magik.diff

Just apply the above patch? or any modified version for mencoder?

Thanks a lot.
sachinwalia75

difference in native H.264 and PMP AVC created video

Post by sachinwalia75 »

Hi,

I am a beginner so please bear with me. I have encoded a video earlier for psp for H.264 profile and the size came out to be 480 mb and i encoded the same source to pmpmod avc and now the size came out around 610 mb.

the output for native h.264 is 768kbps for 320x240 resolution and
the output for pmpmod avc is 768kbps for 480x272 resolution. I'd like to know if pmpmodavc native codec is same as h.264 and if yes what's the reason for difference in the output size (is it resolution?).

friends i'd really appreciate the co-operation.

thanks,

sachin
jackandjohn

Post by jackandjohn »

Is there any chance that a small addition could be made to the resize options?

Specifically, adding:
crop to width, and crop to height.

I'm not sure if there is a good reason it wasn't done before (psp doesn't support unseen video outsize the screen, etc), or if it was simply overlooked because noone thought of it ;)

As always; Amazing work, jonny, and everyone else that has helped out
jackandjohn

Re: difference in native H.264 and PMP AVC created video

Post by jackandjohn »

sachinwalia75 wrote: I am a beginner so please bear with me. I have encoded a video earlier for psp for H.264 profile and the size came out to be 480 mb and i encoded the same source to pmpmod avc and now the size came out around 610 mb.

the output for native h.264 is 768kbps for 320x240 resolution and
the output for pmpmod avc is 768kbps for 480x272 resolution. I'd like to know if pmpmodavc native codec is same as h.264 and if yes what's the reason for difference in the output size (is it resolution?).
Basically, the pmpmod AVC is a restricted version of the AVC 'standard' (avc gets pretty complicated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264 ;) )

The reason for the big size difference, however, is simply the resolution change. If you were to keep the output at pmpmod avc 768kbps for 320x240, the resulting filesize size would be very close.

p.s. Thanks for proving exactly the information someone needs to properly answer the question :)
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

yawoo wrote:Is there any guideline how to patch the source of mencoder, such that it produces pmp compatible x264?
yawoo,

AVItoPMP contains patched versions of mencoder (for all CPUs) that output pmp-compatible AVC, it's a great program for conversion. Check it here[/url]
CLUNESY

Post by CLUNESY »

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but if you want to use Nero Recode to go directly from DVD to pmp, can it be done (I really like the ease of use) ? Would it be possible to modify the recode AVC PSP profile and simply just change the resolution to 480 x 272 ? Or is the aac audio still a problem ? Does nero use mp3 audio for its psp profile ? It still makes .mp4 files - can you run them through the pmp muxer ?

Is AVItoPMP 1.0.2 x264 avc as good as nero cinema avc ?

many thanks - sorry if I'm being lame, just a noob.

clunes
sachinwalia75

pmpmod

Post by sachinwalia75 »

Hi is it possible to integrate the libraries available for ogg/mp3 audio playback on pmpmod and this way it'll help the application to evolve more into a general purpose media player rather than a simple video player. something in the lines of xbmc. i know the chances of becoming bloatware are also high but i think it's worth a thought. i am a java programmer and dont know C otherwise I'd have helped the devs.
Khannie

Post by Khannie »

mp3 support is there already, so adding it as an option wouldn't be very difficult, but the psp natively plays mp3's anyway. Personally, ogg support (in video, or as a separate supported file type) would make me smile. :) It's a much better codec below 128K, and things like cartoons could be made very very small with a 2 pass video encode at moderate bitrate and 64K ogg audio (for example), where 64K mp3 sounds absolutely terrible.

I know that mp3 and ogg are lossy in different ways, but compressing a high quality mp3 stream to 64K ogg would still result in fine audio for spoken voice (which cartoons are mostly).
taimoorh

Post by taimoorh »

I have the new PSPMPverter 0.99 with all the required files. I can easily convert normal anime episodes that are like 140 - 250mb and I even converted a film in xvid format (Final Destination 3 DVDSCR) Anyways it worked fine but now when I try to convert any film (Doom in this case) I get this wierd error in the log file:

C:\Docume~1\Taimoor\Desktop\pspmpv~1\temp.avi:
Processing video ...

Status: [open failed on "C:\Docume~1\Taimoor\Desktop\pspmpv~1\temp.avi"]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sowhat did I do wrong? Any ideas on how to correct this...?

I even tried redownloading everything and extracted all the files in a new folder but no good.

PS: Im sorry if this question has been asked before but there are 55 pages on this thread and the Search didnt come up with anything good either.
AXA

Post by AXA »

usb support like the sms for ps2..
would this new feature can be implemented in pmp mod...
does anyone here know SMS (media player app for ps2 - capable playing avi movie) it has this feature that im thinkin, u know the features usb mode were u put an external usb drive on the ps2 then sms is able to browse all the content of the usb drive which are avi's...

can anyone here confirm if this is possible, cus the ms of psp is limited (4gb only) not much movie content. if this feature is implemented on psp we can have external usb drive with 100gbs of pmp... yeah it sound absurd, but im only asking if this thing is possible..?
Djakku

Post by Djakku »

I don't know if usb mode would be implemented, but you can already play your pmp file from your pc from different ways:
there is pimpstreamer who transcode AVI to PMP in real time.
there is also PMPmod Optixx mod which was the first to add streaming to PMP by playing the PMP file that where on you HDD.
Last but not least, there is PMPVLC that is developped and showing amazing progress.
Hell, you can even use jonny's latest build and stream from your usb If you install IRshell and setup nethost or usbhost to map your computer's HDD.
If you're asking for an avi container, (I guess you're not but you're talking about avi files) well there won't be one ATM.
AXA

Post by AXA »

nah im not talkin about avis- a app for psp.
yeah i know all of those thing but here's what im trying to say if this feature will be implemented. we can hook up an ipod as our media source (using usb) to our psp. then pmp mod will be able to recognize the usb source which is the ipod then it will list all pmp store on the ipod. all im thinking here is the portability that we can bring in or out wherever we go (enough to carry around). thers no point bringing a psp with pc (notebook) to stream movies into it since u can just bring ur notebook to view movies... to sum what i said, it will be more convienient if we only have to bring a psp with a small external usb drive (like an ipod) to watch movies on our psp. i wanna know if this feature can be done or not... cus what i know on the sms it was implemented using usbd.irx...

if u know SMS for ps2, u know im talking about.im using sms to play my avi's using my ipod for media source (usb feature of SMS).
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

The problem is that the PSP can only be a client on a USB connection. So USB-HDDs and alike are out of question, and for anything other, you'd need some kind of driver as you do for windows (libusb0.sys).
<Don't push the river, it flows.>
http://wordpress.fx-world.org - my devblog
http://wiki.fx-world.org - VFPU documentation wiki

Alexander Berl