PSP LCD alternatives - Can you only use the OG spec?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

nonzero

PSP LCD alternatives - Can you only use the OG spec?

Post by nonzero »

Is it possible to use a different LCD for the PSP instead of the standard one?

I'd love to create a PSP based console that uses a PS2 pad for input and a bigger LCD for output.

So, in a nutshell - is it possible to find a larger LCD that can be adapted or used with the PSPs output?

Not thinking about using the PSP2TV style solution, just taking the native output signal and displaying it on a different LCD.

BTW - Does anyone have a model number for the PSPs LCD or a pinout?

Doable?
adrahil

Post by adrahil »

Short answer: Forget it...

Long answer:
1) we don't know much about the LCD pinout. Noone really investigated it that much, as it would be pointless anyway... The LCD is controlled from a virtual hardware memory address, and we can't access the pins directly.

2) even if we found out, the lcd controller would have to be changed, which is a pain. I had once looked at sceLcdc and it seemed as a wrapper for hardware addresses. It would simply handle the modes, and the states and such... Therefore one would have to have a FULLY compatible LCD, which of course is impossible.

3)it would be unesthetical to have a big LCD coming out of nowhere...

P.S.
You could just do something for streaming the screen framebuffer over HPRM, or USB, and connect to a TV for a native signal... (not sure about the compatibility of speeds though...)
nonzero

Post by nonzero »

adrahil - Have I misunderstood something or is this not the LCD pinout? Found it after poking around on Google for a while.

More info at the Sharp site and PDF spec sheet.

And the datasheet for the connector is located here.

Can anyone decipher some helpful information from this lot?

Would it be a case of finding a similar display that operates at the same native resolution and just patching the wires to and from them or is there more to it than that?

Also, does anyone have any info on how I can wire a PS2 pad into the PSP ala PSP2TV?
laichung

Post by laichung »

If you know VHDL and FPGA , and if you know the timming of the PSP and TFT LCD signal, you can custom your controller chip for TFT Lcd panel and convert the PSP LCD signal into TFT LCD. (or best solution is , convert the PSP LCD signal to stardard VGA signal, then you can directly plug it into your montior)

But if you know nothing about what I'm talking about, you can give up your project right now and no need to find any document on the internet at all. Because you question just like people asking "How can I connect my laptop LCD to PC desktop". The answer is you can buy a controller card (if exist in the world) or giveup. It is not a easy task for homebrew.

ps. Convert signal from one panel to ther others is not simple as you think. Because there are no standard interface and no stardard timming between different companies. Companies (like sony) need to BUY a complete documentation from Sharp about the Panel before they can build the controller from PSP. If you try to connet PSP LCD to TFT LCD means, two documentation of the panels are needed.
nonzero

Post by nonzero »

Thanks for that illuminating response laichung.

Coming at this from another perspective then, how does the PSP2TV hardware module work and can it be recreated homebrew style?
adrahil

Post by adrahil »

Uhm.... PSP2TV just films the screen of the PSP i guess...
nonzero

Post by nonzero »

adrahil wrote:Uhm.... PSP2TV just films the screen of the PSP i guess...
No no, thats the others with the whole camera over the top style.

The PSP2TV is a chunk of replacement parts and kit that takes the PSP signal and blows it up to TV resolution.

Click here to see more pics and info. The only problem with this method is the upscaling filter is wank and it makes the text very blocky due to the way it chops the resolution in half and then reinserts the alternate lines.

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve the picutre output using this method? More importantly, how did they hook up the external PS2 pad?

Thanks
laichung

Post by laichung »

Since I'm also the one who want to connect my laptop LCD to desktop. So I have a deep research on this topic and I know clearly that it is a hard task for homebrew (especially for someone dont have knowledge in EE).

You can make your onw PSP2TV by using a WebCam or a Videocam but the quaility must be bad. If you really want to have a big output screen , I think to best solution is using a projector. There are many homebrew LCD to projector solution on the web and you can google for some working samples.
nonzero wrote:Thanks for that illuminating response laichung.

Coming at this from another perspective then, how does the PSP2TV hardware module work and can it be recreated homebrew style?
nonzero

Post by nonzero »

Interesting angle, I'd never thought of taking the projector route - Will look into that.

Still prefer the idea of outputting to another LCD or TV but the projector option does seem very feasible and relatively easy to do in comparision to the work that would be needed for the LCD mod/swap.
laichung

Post by laichung »

Yes and because you can buy a new PSP LCD modules on the internet, you can disassemble the PSP LCD, put it on the top of projector and get it focus. Of course there are still many problem you need to solve, but I think the quality should be higher than using a webcam.

Anyway, if you got any progress, pls share it to us. Thanks and have fun

nonzero wrote:Interesting angle, I'd never thought of taking the projector route - Will look into that.

Still prefer the idea of outputting to another LCD or TV but the projector option does seem very feasible and relatively easy to do in comparision to the work that would be needed for the LCD mod/swap.
nonzero

Post by nonzero »

Will do but I'm still researching the initial mod I had in mind at the moment, project option will be looked into fully once I've exhausted all LCD related mod methods :D

On a related note, I've been informed that the PSP LCD differs to a standard interface because the panel has an intergrated controller so theoretically you should be able to whack a DAC on each of the three colour signal outputs to obtain analog video. H and V sync are already present too.

Need to grab a frequency counter to find out the horizontal and vertical scan rates in order to proceed with a feasibilty check.
laichung

Post by laichung »

After take a look to the LCD spec you attach before , I can tell you that, PSP LCD is just like the other TFT LCD. I think you and yr friend is mis-leaded by the spec. Most LCD have 3signal for blue, 3signal for red and 3signal for green, and all of them have H/V sync. Those signal is used for light up the spot on the LCD panel. But they are different from the standard VGA output (analog output).

And even you can found a connector to connect the PSP LCD to TFT LCD with exact pin the document show, it doesnt mean the image will show. As I said before, it require convert the "Timming". The spot of the LCD Panel is not lighting up in the same time, actually they are lighting up from top to bottom, left to right. So the H/V sync contain a very importmant information, the Resolution of image.

And the conversion is too fast, you can only create you own chip (with VHDL and FPGA) , get the PSP LCD output , do conversion, then output to TFT LCD. (not possible in software way)

If you still want to try, I think you better understand how the image show on the LCD/Monitor first. You can leave the PSP LCD alone. Since it is useless before you know what you are trying to do.

nonzero wrote:Will do but I'm still researching the initial mod I had in mind at the moment, project option will be looked into fully once I've exhausted all LCD related mod methods :D

On a related note, I've been informed that the PSP LCD differs to a standard interface because the panel has an intergrated controller so theoretically you should be able to whack a DAC on each of the three colour signal outputs to obtain analog video. H and V sync are already present too.

Need to grab a frequency counter to find out the horizontal and vertical scan rates in order to proceed with a feasibilty check.
nonzero

Post by nonzero »

Just thinking of a different approach here, seeing as the PSP2TV already jacks into the video and control points (doing half the job I need already) but has poor upscaling would it be possible to take the PSP2TV setup and modify its upscaling process so that it didn't cock the picture up as it does now?
nonzero

Post by nonzero »

laichung - My friends response:
All I'm saying is that IF the timing is the same as normal TV timing (it's possible to drive the LCD with such timing as indicated by the datasheet) then you can simply put an analog to digital converter on each set of video data lines and have analog RGB video. The horizontal and vertical sync pulses may need to be lengthened to meed the standard too.

As far as I can tell this LCD operates in the same way as a CRT monitor ie. only one pixel is drawn at a time, the video is drawn as a sequence of lines from top to bottom, etc. Unlike some LCDs I've come across (like laptop pannels) which have the data fed to them in a multiplexed parallel arangement where multiple pixels are drawn with each clock pluse (and it may even scan draw the picture right to left, bottom to top, or anything)

Chances aren't all that good though...just look at the PSP2TV
laichung

Post by laichung »

Well , as I said before, you better learn more about how LCD panel show
image first.

NO, I mean NO, LCD Panel accept ANALOG RGB signal (I guess you know what is different between ANALOG and DIGITAL). And you should understand one thing, the stardand VGA output (from PC to CRT/LCD) from computer is ANALOG signal, after LCD get the signal from the PC, the LCD controller(not the panel) will convert it into a DIGITAL signal and send it to the LCD panel. (DVI is an other different thing, and dont mix it up)

But the tasks of the LCD controller not only conversion of signal, it also send the bootup signal to the LCD panel (which you may or may not get it from the datasheet) and the brightness/contrast signal. And all these kind of signal are different between different LCD Panel. And even you know the detail of those signal, you need a HARDWARE (FPGA/VHDL) to convert those signal (this mean you build your own LCD controller). So, again, do you know anything about EE?

And, the last thing is , PSP2TV is nothing more than a webcam plus a TV output. No upscale is done. (And if you know more about your TV and PSP, you will know that, PSP have a resolution higher than a VCD). And you can make a better PSP2TV on your own by using a better cam with higher resolution.
sneeze

Post by sneeze »

Just a note, PSP2TV _is_ a hardware mod (google for it), it is _not_ one of those cameras that captures the screen.
laichung

Post by laichung »

Ok after I take a look to the installation of PSP2TV, I must say I'm wrong about my comments on PSP2TV is just a webcam plus TVout. I mixed it up with Blaze product , etc.

http://myhard.yesky.com/news_hard/214/2248714.shtml

Anyway , LCD to LCD or LCD to CRT is not a simple task for homebrew.

sneeze wrote:Just a note, PSP2TV _is_ a hardware mod (google for it), it is _not_ one of those cameras that captures the screen.
sutejok

Post by sutejok »

well, to me this is a very simple task, i mean converting the signal from the psp to something vga monitor can take. you just need the right DACs and the right connector to connect to the connector on board on the psp (i worked on these chips before..) no HDL/FPGA necessary.

the other way around, you can of course interface the lcd with an embedded microprocessor or fpga, thats no problem too. seems like the clock rate of the screen is typically 9Mhz - any atmel chip should be able to handle this easily. this is IF the information above about the LCD is accurate. (if thats even the right LCD documentation.. I'm not too sure)

let me know if you have any questions