PSP FW 3.00 RELEASED and FileSystem on Flash0 was changed !

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

0okm0000

PSP FW 3.00 RELEASED and FileSystem on Flash0 was changed !

Post by 0okm0000 »

can't find Flash0 FAT12 table
PSP hardware hack
http://0okm.blogspot.com/
Art

Post by Art »

How shifty of Sony ;)

I thought there would have to be a filesystem for anything to work?
Wouldn't they have to rewrite ->everything<- to discard the flash0 filesystem?
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

This update includes the following changes:

- PLAYSTATION(R)Network titles are now supported under Game.
- Remote Play has been added as a feature under Network.
- Online Instruction Manuals has been added as a feature under Network.
- Timed recording has been added as a feature under RSS Channel.
- A visual player has been added as a feature under Music.
- 3-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature under Music.
- Camera has been added as a feature under Photo.
- UMDtm Auto-Start has been added as a feature in System Settings under Settings.
Ironically, the 3-speed fast forward and fast reverse is one I was just starting to miss today, because I've picked up a habit of listening to podcasts through my PSP just recently (the 1up Yours broadcasts are pretty fun).

The Auto-Start feature is one I've been wanting for a long, long time - no more powering up your PSP and having to keep the disc tray open to prevent your game to start because you wanted to do something XMB ...

Now it's a matter of looking out for those PS1 games!

To break it down:

- PLAYSTATION(R)Network titles are now supported under [Game].

These are for the downloadable playstation store games among which the PS1 games.

- [Remote Play] has been added as a feature under [Network].

This is for paring your PSP with your PS3 for remote functionality like streaming movies, audio, and eventually games

- [Online Instruction Manuals] has been added as a feature under [Network].

Links to on-line manuals, as advertised. Will check them out soon.

- Timed recording has been added as a feature under [RSS Channel].

EDIT: You can set a certain time at which the channel will be saved automatically.

- A visual player has been added as a feature under [Music].

A visualiser for music playback. EDIT: there are actually five visualisers immediately available! Some of them pretty nice too ...

- 3-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature under [Music].

Being able to fast forward at three speed levels rather than the just one you have now. The option is 10/30/120, which is great and makes me totally happy; 120 is insanely fast :D Just what I need for those 1 hour plus podcasts. :)

- [Camera] has been added as a feature under [Photo].

This is for the Chotto-shot USB camera add-on that has been released in Japan about a month ago. It says PSP compatible camera, so who knows there might be third-party products at some point.

- [UMDtm Auto-Start] has been added as a feature in [System Settings] under [Settings].

This is to set your preference to what happens when you power-on your PSP. By default, it automatically boots up the game in your UMD drive, but now you can tell it to always go to the XMB first. EDIT: This is the first thing I changed as after the Firmware it rebooted and of course started up Mind Quiz immediately, while I just wanted to go to the XMB of course. :D

EDIT: I'll be testing the online features soon.

EDIT: I also found some non-advertised changes

- Changes to the Text Input

You now have on-screen indicators that tell you what each button does right away. For instance, I didn't know that Start was a shortcut to Enter, and Select allows you to change the mapped keys, with the address bar featuring three options: standard, one with extra characters like Ñ, and numbers only. I actually didn't know this was possible, though they were probably there already? But the shortcuts are definitely new.

- Certificate Utility

Can't tell what it is for exactly, but it's there as a new icon under game. Probably has to do with the online purchases, as there is no other evidence of this being installed now.

EDIT: I couldn't find any evidence of youtube working now, but I did notice that both when I started up youtube and when I went to Eurogamer TV, that it asked if I wanted to install a plugin embedded on this page.

EDIT: The online manuals are pretty decent. From that, I'm figuring right now you can only get downloadable games right now if you also have a PS3. I suppose that downloading from the playstation store we have on yourpsp will come a little later.
Last edited by Arwin on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
cory1492

Post by cory1492 »

My guess (and probably a bad one), from looking at a single dump of the 3.00 NAND using UP's USB to dump it is that the FS is still FAT12, just crypted in some fashion. Whitespace seems non-existant in alot of places there should be white space.

Arwin: certificate util is (supposed to be) for linking to PS3 for the online DRM content.
hlide

Post by hlide »

cory1492 wrote:My guess (and probably a bad one), from looking at a single dump of the 3.00 NAND using UP's USB to dump it is that the FS is still FAT12, just crypted in some fashion. Whitespace seems non-existant in alot of places there should be white space.
and how a PC would see contents of ms0 when pluging USB !? If it is encrypted, it will be impossible for PC to read it... may they filled some areas with random contents just to disturb the hackers ?
hlide

Post by hlide »

unless an USB access will let PSP encrypt/decryt data to/from MS.
ryoko_no_usagi

Post by ryoko_no_usagi »

They are talking about the nand, not ms0 :)
Encrypted would be my uninformed guess too :)
hlide

Post by hlide »

ryoko_no_usagi wrote:They are talking about the nand, not ms0 :)
Encrypted would be my uninformed guess too :)
oh my god, i misread :////
harleyg

Post by harleyg »

Cannot be decrypted at this moment, although it has not been looked into much.... just thought i'd join in the conversation... :D

Just wondering, 0okm: did you get this dump directly via your multi firmware mod? We have managed to extract the PSAR already.
gamerzworld

Post by gamerzworld »

A little side note about the visual player, when you go out to the XMB by pressing HOME it will greatly lag the XMB.

The Certificate Utility is pretty interesting. Does it just verify PS1 games you have downloaded with a PS3? If so, does it connect to the internet to verify? I wonder if there could be a way to use this to hackers advantage. Also it looks like Magic Gate is in the firmware. [Go to your mem stick under game and then press triangle. Then click on information. It says Magic Gate supported.] Magic Gate was on the PS2 and was suppost to prevent you from transferring game saves, but it didn't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magicgate
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

magic gate has been in the PSP firmware since 1.0, its use on the PSP seems to be only related to protecting media content such as atrac3 from copying to a different memory stick. That kinda went out the window when they added mp3 support. But it would make some sense to lock ps1 games to a particular memory stick.

As for its use on the PS2 it was there for two reasons, 1 as a technical lockout chip to prevent 3rd party memory cards and 2 to protect and lock dvdplayer and OSD updates to a particular device so they cannot be copied between memory cards (unless you knew the secret :P) I dont think it was ever planned to prevent copying game saves and goes unused in those situations even if there is a bitflag to tell the OSD you shouldn't allow copying.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

3.01 is now out. Changes: "Revisions to strengthen security have been added."
someone
Idiot

Post by someone »

most likely compressed, maybe encrypted too. But new features should increase the required space in flash0.