Last Step

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

underrisk

Last Step

Post by underrisk »

Hello , all

I remember when i was programming for PSone , after using all that

programs as (e3d20, movieconverter , R3000A , ...... etc. )

finally, when your demo ready then convert to the right sector

arrangement ....... and after that add your logo then make your .cnf and

burn by CDRwin.

thats all now you can take your cd and put it in any PS and it will work.

Now what happened to PS2 wherever you go you will find somebody says you need // mod or you can use swab cd or .... any how you cant do this or that , i really confused .

I hope somebody can explain that to me in way which i can get it right

why i cant make my demo and burn it in way that anyone can run it like

anyother game cd?.

Can i have reply,,, please ???????

thanks all
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The PS1 has never been broken. Even to today, it takes a mod-chip, swap disc, or something like action replay to use a CDR in it. The procedure you describe was what you needed to do IN ADDITION to having a mod-chip to boot a CDR.

The PS2 is the same - you need a mod-chip, a swap disc, or something like action replay or the ID exploit to use a properly prepared disc/program.
underrisk

Post by underrisk »

Thanks alot J.F.

Yes you are correct , i recalled tha things and pls forgive old man.

But my wandaring what that mod,or swap suppose to do to make my demo ready to run..... i think the head of the ps2 read the first few sectors
looking for license and the job of the swap to override this step like using
continue in c program . ... Is this correct or there something else which i dont know it???

thanks again, and i hope if you have time or any other guy has to reply and tell all like me some basic information.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The basic idea is that there is data encoded in the wobble track at the start of the disc. This simply can't be written by a burner, so it's emulated by some mod-chips (the SBox did this), or by replacing the IPL rom with something that skips the check (what many mod-chips do).

The idea behind disc swapping is to use a valid disc, then swap it with a burned disc without the PS1/2 knowing you swapped it. Flip-top lids are popular for this purpose on the PS2. With the PS1, the lid switch was easy to bypass (I replaced mine with a toggle switch).

The SEGA CD was the console that only checked for a specific data header at the start of the CD. I can point you to a web site where you can get a program that will write that header to the ISO image so that your burned homebrew boots fine on an unmodded SEGA CD. I've done that with mine and it works fine... I just need to do something meaningful in the way of homebrew for the SEGA CD. :)
underrisk

Post by underrisk »

Great with many many thanks for J.F.

simple, clear, and pointed talk , left me with complete idea about my wandering and i hope the other whom like me got it.

yes, please i wish i can get the web site where can i get the program for sega cd you just mention it .and if you feel to email its more easy for you here my email:
underrisk@yahoo.com or
psxdd1@gmail.com

with all my respect
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

No problem. I emailed you some SEGA homebrew links I like. Amazingly, there's still a pretty active SEGA Genesis homebrew community.
underrisk

Post by underrisk »

Thanks J.F.

I got it