Clamshell PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

TimmyJ

Clamshell PSP

Post by TimmyJ »

My only real problem with my PSP is that it doesn't feel all that portable, I think that this is mostly due to the fact that the screen's constantly on display, something which constantly makes me worry about the chances of somehow breaking it.

Well, I've finally decided that I want to try and do something about it - I have some surplus money coming my way so why not spend it on something that could actually be beneficial to me?

I've decided that effectively taking apart a PSP and reconstructing it with a clamshell design shoudn't be too difficult a task provided that I know what I'm doing.

I've researched it to some extent already and aside from making a custom case, all that really needs to be done is an extension of the leads that go from the LCD to the mainboard.

Edit: Well, I've found a UK based company that will manufacture one-off plastic objects so I'm all set as far as a custom case is concerned!

I've found a whole bunch of diagrams/websites etc that detail the PSP and I'm confident about messing around with it.

Edit: I've found out the pinout configuration for the LCD (on this forum no less) and since I'll be using the same screen there's no need for me to mess about with timing and all the rest of it.

What I really need to try and get my head around is the basic clamshell design - how to get the signal from the mainboard to the screen - so I'm probably going to order some cheap clamshell phone off of eBay.

Again, any information on any of this would be greatly appreciated =)
adrahil

Post by adrahil »

Why not use Logitech hard plastic case? :)
TimmyJ

Post by TimmyJ »

Taken from my post over at GFAQS:

It's perfectly valid to suggest that the Logitech hard case (which houses my current PSP) or the MGS:PO armoured case are sufficient, however, I don't feel that having redundant pieces of plastic hanging off of the PSP whilst it's open is aesthetically pleasing.

Another problem that I have with the PSP is the fact that I regularly find myself leaving smudge marks on the screen whilst I'm pressing the square button - changing the position of the screen would change this.

Anyway, I've figured out how clamshell designs work (embarrassingly simple) after taking apart an old clamshell phone that I found lying around the house. Now I can't do much until I order a broken PSP to have a goosey inside so that I can try an order a female to male extension for the pinout of the LCD.