IR examples? and questions?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

reefbarman

IR examples? and questions?

Post by reefbarman »

Hey everyone,

have people got some easy to follow examples of infra red programs, like sending and receiving information, data, variables?

Also i want to know if the is a function or a way to have the IR Port read what ever signals get sents its way from any other IR device, save what it recieves and then resend these signals?? is this to hard to do??
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Start by searching the forum for IrDAmon. It's a simple proggy by Dr. Vegetable that simply echos the bytes received by the IR in the PSP to the screen. From there, you should be able to modify it to more what you want to do.
reefbarman

Post by reefbarman »

kewl ill have a look thnx
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You can also look at PspIrda (download here). It's supposed to transfer files between a PSP and other IRDA devices. It comes with the source.
reefbarman

Post by reefbarman »

okay i had a look at irdamon, but what is it exactly printing to the screen, i tried to figure it out using the most basic ir device i could find a TV remote, but if i pressed the volume up button it would print lots of stuff on screen like two digit hex codes or something, then if i pressed the same button again it printed more codes but they where completely different this time, and here i was thinking that if i pressed a button on a remote it would send the same signal every press and it should, so it got me thinking is irdamon storing the data correctly in a unsigned char?? could this be the reason its a different set of codes each time? how should i store the information the ir port is receiving so that in the example about the remote that it is saving the information the remote is sending correctly

i hope that made sense
reefbarman

Post by reefbarman »

okay i have researched that the signal sent from a remote is a little bit more complicated than i first thought, before i try to figure out how to capture the information i want, has there been a homebrew app written that can learn remote control functions?? if not is there someone who has a bit of experience in this area or knows a better way of displaying the information sent from a remote so i can figure out how to capture it and resend it from the psp
hagisbasheruk

Post by hagisbasheruk »

Since you are looking at the IR port for your current program,when you get it sussed out, how about adding a Terminal to communicate with any other IR devices like pocket PCs then you could sync data and send files between devices.Mabey you could even use a pocket PCs on screen keyboard for text input to the PSP,now that would be a really useful tool.Just some ideas i am throwing your way i hope you don't mind Reefbarman as i have an interest in your current project .Mabey you could modify this wince code to act as a IR keyboard if you have any Handheld PC or Pocket PC devices http://www.codeproject.com/ce/tvremote.asp ,i have a Jornada 720 which runs runs Microsoft Windows Handheld PC (H/PC) 2000 Operating System. This OS is a modified version of the Pocket PC version of Windows CE 3.0. if you need any testing done,i have also hacked this device to run Pocket PC applications ;)
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

Several issues.

TV remote controls don't use IRDA !
So the IRDA samples won't help you.

Instead TV remote controls and other IR devices use what is commonly called "Consumer IR". How the IR signal is encoded varies a lot, depending on the manufacturer, device etc. It looks nothing like IRDA.

The regular PSP does both IRDA and SIRCS (Sony's specific version of their consumer IR)
I wrote a program that tricks the PSP hardware into sending other consumer IR signals
http://www.aibohack.com/psp/roboir.htm

However it does not do capturing. AFAIK nobody has figured out a way of doing it.

You need to use another hardware setup to capture the IR signal and figure out the encoding (or if you are lucky, find the specs on the web). FWIW: I used a CLIE PDA.
Once you know the way your TV remote signal is encoded, it should be trivial to write the code for the PSP to send it.
Bottom line: easy to make the PSP send a known signal. Not a solution for an IR "universal remote" with learning capabilities.

---
Also look for the "PSP Universal Remote". A PSP homebrew program that sends consumer IR signals based on "lirc" files (free description files for many remotes)
IIRC it is not open source and does not do capture either.
reefbarman

Post by reefbarman »

thanks psppet,

that does explain alot, i did want to put together a universal remote app with learning capabilities, as i once had a gameboy color game, i think it was mission: impossible that used the gameboys ir port and was able to record any remotes functions and then act as a remote itself it was great, parents hated it haha. And me thinking that they included this with a game as a little gimmick it wouldnt be too hard at all to do for the psp,

as for other universal remote apps like ir commander and psp universal remote none of them have support for my Sony tv which is an australian only release i think so i wanted to get my psp as a remote for it some how.

Anyway im an amateur at psp coding, but i have been writing apps for the pc for quite some time so eventually ill figure a way to do what i want i hope practice make perfect

@ hagis: i thought this exercise would be fairly simple and help me learn the in and outs of the ir protocol so i could then as you said have sinc capabilities with phones, pda and other devices, this is still on the books for pSPC ill just have to experiment a bit more

cheers

everyone
hagisbasheruk

Post by hagisbasheruk »

I don't know if you are aware if it but Google has a new Beta search just for Scholars,hopefully you will be able to gather good info from it
IrDA Principles and Protocols
http://scholar.google.com/scholar%3Fq%3 ... 3Dscholart