Firmware 3.11 out

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

FreePlay

Firmware 3.11 out

Post by FreePlay »

Download here, full changelog and some conjecture right here. Looks mainly like a POPS update/bugfix, plus a new IPL and a couple modifications to lflash_fatfmt.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

It seems to have some improvements on their so called *security*...lol
still looking forward to having'em decrypted. Did they patch their old friend GTA?
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Yes they patched it correctly this time and they fixed the registry bug as well.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

I'm worring about DAX OE's future...
the official firmwares are growing bigger and bigger, I think there will be not enough flash space to put 1.5 and probably 3.20 kernel together. sigh
Wally

Post by Wally »

well Im sure DAX could delete more unnessesary things like

Fonts
remote play
Game Sharing

Should give us a bit more room then :)
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

yeah, then we'll probably need new docs and sdk for new prx if old ones have been replaced, suppose if we can replace some kernel prx.

a bit off-topic: How about working on a prx encryptor? Then we can have 3.11 prx loaded normally on 1.5 firmware. lol
ZoiD

Post by ZoiD »

Wally4000 wrote:well Im sure DAX could delete more unnessesary things like

Fonts
remote play
Game Sharing

Should give us a bit more room then :)
Could just compress, and decompress on demand?
Or have non critical modules get loaded from outside the flash.. risky but if it's just non-critical prx's and whatnot it should be ok.

But regardless, it's like you say if room runs out can just as a last resort remove certain things that are rarely used by home brew users.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

even make a tool with prx module description and dependency check so we can choose what we want, like linux. Since game players may not need a web browser, photo or music player, devs probably won't need a pops.
ZoiD

Post by ZoiD »

gbj1 wrote:even make a tool with prx module description and dependency check so we can choose what we want, like linux. Since game players may not need a web browser, photo or music player, devs probably won't need a pops.
nice idea.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

it must be fully tested before release and a recovery mode is necessary, otherwise it will certainly bring bricks I think.
Or have non critical modules get loaded from outside the flash..
this solution might be the better one for now.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I don't think the size of the kernel will be a problem anytime soon. Remember the NAND flash is 32MB. The original 1.50 was 13.3MB, and 2.60 was 17.9MB. The latest 3.11 is still only 20.9 MB, and hasn't grow at all since 3.00.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

It will soon go out of space I guess. In spite of their poor security, they actually do adding new features and growing the size.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The last time they needed space, they took one of the Asian fonts out of the flash. They still gots lots of stuff they can do away with before running out of room. They'd really have to put in something bulky to run out of room.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

don't delete chinese charsets! delete japanese's instead if necessary.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

gbj1 wrote:don't delete chinese charsets! delete japanese's instead if necessary.
Heh why?
I made a copy of the english charset, renamed it to the chinese one and it runs just fine. I saved almost 1 mb this way. And also kept the Japanese one intact for fonts to show up properly when i browse japanese sites.
I guess it comes down to what the user does with his PSP.
Later,

Alcahest
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

Oops! sorry for that Alcahest, I have the same idea when I want to browse Chinese sites. So it depends on personal needs.