Installing PSP toolchain in Linux

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

duane

Installing PSP toolchain in Linux

Post by duane »

Hi all,

I'm having a problem setting the path for the PSP toolchain and SDK in Linux. I tried looking all over the internet, but the only tutorials I could find were for Cygwin. Does anyone know the command to use to set the path? I'm using Fedora Core 6. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Duane.

[/b]Edit: I found it: [http://wiki.ps2dev.org/psp:programming_faq] Thanks anyways :)
duane

Post by duane »

Another thing, does anyone know how to include the PATH command in the shell on startup? It can get annoying to type it in every time... I'll try as soon as I get home, and maybe I'll figure this one on my own too, but once again, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Duane
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Add them to the end of /home/username/.bash_profile, like this

Code: Select all

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
export PATH
You'll have to logout before it'll go into affect as it's only checked when the user logs in.
duane

Post by duane »

J.F. wrote:Add them to the end of /home/username/.bash_profile, like this

export PATH
You'll have to logout before it'll go into affect as it's only checked when the user logs in.
Thanks for your reply J.F. It seems I don't have the file '.bash_profile' under '/home/username'. Should I create one?

export PATH
Shouldn't this be:

PATH="/usr/local/pspdev/bin:$PATH"
export PATH
because that's the path for the toolchain...

Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I'm not too familiar with Linux. Thanks again.

Duane.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

add to /etc/bashrc seems easier
should be this one:

export PATH="/usr/local/pspdev/bin":$PATH
export PSPDEV="/usr/local/pspdev"

the second line is used for compiling Python PSP port.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

duane wrote:
J.F. wrote:Add them to the end of /home/username/.bash_profile, like this

export PATH
Thanks for your reply J.F. It seems I don't have the file '.bash_profile' under '/home/username'. Should I create one?

export PATH
Shouldn't this be:

PATH="/usr/local/pspdev/bin:$PATH"
export PATH
because that's the path for the toolchain...

Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I'm not too familiar with Linux. Thanks again.

Duane.
It was an example of how to add env vars to the bash_profile, not the actual lines you would use. :)

Username is YOUR user name. For example, for me it's /home/jlfenton/.bash_profile. If you correctly installed FC6, you WILL have that file. Since it starts with a period, you won't see it unless you set your preferences to show hidden files, or use the "-a" switch in the shell to show all files.

Mine looks like this:

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
	. ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

export PATH

DEVKITPPC=$HOME/crosstools/devkitPPC
export DEVKITPPC
I haven't gotten around to sticking in the environment vars for PS2 and PSP yet... I still use the shell history to run the exports when I open a shell.

gbj1: For some reason, FC6 doesn't seem to like defining an env var and exporting it at the same time.

DEVKITPPC=$HOME/crosstools/devkitPPC
export DEVKITPPC

works for me while

export DEVKITPPC=$HOME/crosstools/devkitPPC

does not. Weird, but there it is.
gbj1

Post by gbj1 »

J.F. :
I've got the same problem, so I avoid including env var while exporting.

SOLVED!
check for updates first... quite a lot, 204 updates to me.
Now I can define a new env var like this:

$export NEW_VAR=$PSPDEV/psp/sdk
$printenv
I can find a line:

NEW_VAR=/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk
duane

Post by duane »

J.F. wrote:
It was an example of how to add env vars to the bash_profile, not the actual lines you would use. :)
Yea that's what I thought. I just wanted to be sure... It's going to take me a while to get used to dev lingo :)
J.F. wrote:
Username is YOUR user name. For example, for me it's /home/jlfenton/.bash_profile. If you correctly installed FC6, you WILL have that file. Since it starts with a period, you won't see it unless you set your preferences to show hidden files, or use the "-a" switch in the shell to show all files.
It figures I wouldn't know that it was a hidden file :D

Anyways, I tried it and it worked. Thanks.

Duane
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

duane wrote:
J.F. wrote:
Yea that's what I thought. I just wanted to be sure... It's going to take me a while to get used to dev lingo :)
J.F. wrote:
It figures I wouldn't know that it was a hidden file :D

Anyways, I tried it and it worked. Thanks.

Duane
As long as you keep learning... no one starts out an expert. Anyway, things starting with "." being hidden by default is why most config files and program related directories start with "." - it means that you don't have to wade through dozens of config files and extra folders when looking at the user directory.