Midi through PSP USB port

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

leelinn

Midi through PSP USB port

Post by leelinn »

Hello,
is it possible to implement midi for PSP? The idea is to use PSP (with software like rhythm7) like a master sequencer to control synth and other midi/music devices.

I know that at the moment USB port can be used only for data transfer. I don't know how midi protocol works by USB...but is it really so impossible make PSP midi-capable?

Of course, there is the need to have a midi device....like this> http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html

i don't know if it's possible to make a version of driver for psp of m-audio stuff....but using that device should be more simple that make one DIY project of midi interface....

tnx a lot for attention

lee
Bytrix

Post by Bytrix »

I don't know about USB, I would've thought it'd be possible to send midi commands from the serial port though. The only experience I have with midi is my guitar effects and floorboard, never really looked into it anymore than that.
jblaze2201

Post by jblaze2201 »

forget about usb check this out. I personally use ableton live and this is the ultimate homebrew to me. wireless controller for ableton. So i would assume its possible to make one to control other midi programs also. Here is link to the page.
http://e-mu.org/?p=20
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

The PSP will never be an adequate MIDI sequencer. The PSP is not a USB Host which is needed to connect to USB MIDI devices. The PSP can't provide enough USB power for most external devices. Serial is limited. The PSP doesn't have the right drivers. There is no PSP sequencer software. Next-to-no open source software. Almost all the commercial software will only run on a PC or Mac.
(I could go on ;-)

If you want a portable solution, look for a PC laptop. Then add a USB (or FireWire) device that will transmit/receive MIDI.
A very basic PC is all that you need for MIDI control. If you are doing instrument synthesis on the PC itself, you need more power.

The PSP can become a WiFi connected control surface with a few inputs. The main problem is the limited number of PSP buttons.
IMHO: dedicated MIDI input devices (keyboards, drum pads, etc) will give you more control, and are close to the price of a PSP. You still need a PC, and some software, to do the sequencer work.