dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

futaris

Post by futaris »

Adding IR keyboard is fairly trivial. I'm happy to test it for you if you need someone to. zx-81 has just been using libirkeyb directly, since he had problems with pikey.
iperez

Post by iperez »

Sorry, off-topic. Moved here.
Last edited by iperez on Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ziner

Post by ziner »

Hi!
I figured out that it would the best option to set a new topic for psp's dos games so we would not interfere with programming stuff and still get the info about which games are working and wich aren't.

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=55688#55688

If You guys think it is a good idea, just post game related messeges there.
Cheers!
Ziner
Sylus101

Some help with p-sprint

Post by Sylus101 »

Hi Everyone, and Crazy-C of course.

First of all, this is amazing. I have realistic ideas of what can be played on this and it still is an awesome achievement!

The only issue I'm having, is after changing p-sprint group modes (so I can type numbers) I can't get any of them to work. A lot of old games start off with selection options for video and sound and you need numbers to select ega, vga, etc...

Has anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks!
Sylus101

Small issue with P-Sprint instructions...

Post by Sylus101 »

Sorry for the double post, but this may be helpful to more than just me.

http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/index.htm

This is a page that explains usage of P-Sprint. I used this to learn it, but there is a slight problem with one of the pictures on the page. There is a section of images labeled Group 1, 2 and 3. Further down it shows the button presses to change groups.

The issue, is that the images should be labeled Group 0,1,2 instead as 0 is the default group for letters. This threw me off quite a bit initially.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Heh, here I keep complaining about zero-based indexes and I'm not guiltless myself.
mypspdev

Post by mypspdev »

Hi! Sorry for my issue may be not properly continuing the on-going discussion, but related to the DosBox.
I'm not full expert but isn't it possible up to you to run some java .jar's under DosBox ?
Of course the java sdk java.exe on PC is working only under windows and not pure DosBoxes...

Any possibility, even if under limits of PSP ram etc...?if yes .. suggestions are very well appreciated, of course. Nothing found on the web, untill now.

thanks a lot
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

mypspdev wrote:Hi! Sorry for my issue may be not properly continuing the on-going discussion, but related to the DosBox.
I'm not full expert but isn't it possible up to you to run some java .jar's under DosBox ?
Of course the java sdk java.exe on PC is working only under windows and not pure DosBoxes...

Any possibility, even if under limits of PSP ram etc...?if yes .. suggestions are very well appreciated, of course. Nothing found on the web, untill now.

thanks a lot
That would be pretty silly given there's already java for the PSP.

http://groups.google.com/group/java4psp
mypspdev

Post by mypspdev »

J.F. wrote:

Thanks a lot!!
Ready for Text to speech Java Sapi or better Speech Recognition ?
(Java sdk 1.2.1, IBM ViaVoice, years ago....)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

mypspdev wrote:
J.F. wrote:

Thanks a lot!!
Ready for Text to speech Java Sapi or better Speech Recognition ?
(Java sdk 1.2.1, IBM ViaVoice, years ago....)
You might want to start a separate thread for this.
axcessor

Post by axcessor »

nice thing! is it possible to port this to the ps2? afaik the psp is just a portable ps2, right?
raulpica

Post by raulpica »

crazyc wrote:
BurnCycle wrote: Isn't possible to had a keyboard display like in Spectrum Emulator? That whould be a great feature...
I'm open to alternative keyboards, just give me a URL. The keyboard must (or at least can be modified to) support all 101 AT keys though. I'd like to support IR keyboards, but I don't have one right now so i won't be able to test it.
It's better to use Danzeff's On Screen Keyboard, it's one of the most used and easiest on screen keyboards ever.

Here is explained in detail, and here you can find the sources :)

Thanks for your efforts and good work in implementing this On Screen Keyboard! :D
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

raulpica wrote: It's better to use Danzeff's On Screen Keyboard, it's one of the most used and easiest on screen keyboards ever.

Thanks for your efforts and good work in implementing this On Screen Keyboard! :D
This won't work because it doesn't support enough keys. Games that use F-keys, the numpad, the arrow keys, alt, ctrl, shift as a key instead of a toggle etc. would be impossible to use. With 9 squares and 4 keys per square there would need to be 3 modes just for keys, 11 if you include modified keys (button + shift/alt/ctrl).
raulpica

Post by raulpica »

crazyc wrote:
raulpica wrote: It's better to use Danzeff's On Screen Keyboard, it's one of the most used and easiest on screen keyboards ever.

This won't work because it doesn't support enough keys. Games that use F-keys, the numpad, the arrow keys, alt, ctrl, shift as a key instead of a toggle etc. would be impossible to use. With 9 squares and 4 keys per square there would need to be 3 modes just for keys, 11 if you include modified keys (button + shift/alt/ctrl).
Right. Then what's about using PSPUAE OSK? You can find the source code in the downloads.

It's a complete Visual Keyboard for an Amiga, but I think that it could be easily adapted to an IBM Keyboard, as it displays entirely a keyboard in the lower or upper side of the screen and lets you select keys. And it supports Ctrl, Shift and Alt :)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

raulpica wrote: Right. Then what's about using PSPUAE OSK? You can find the source code in the downloads.

It's a complete Visual Keyboard for an Amiga, but I think that it could be easily adapted to an IBM Keyboard, as it displays entirely a keyboard in the lower or upper side of the screen and lets you select keys. And it supports Ctrl, Shift and Alt :)
Well, this could work, but it'll take some amount of work, so don't hold your breath as I've been busy with something else....

Thanks to dosbox developer c2woody who pointed out that it is possible to run most dos protected mode games with a vastly reduced address space and that a new portable dynamic recompiler has just been checked into CVS, I can put this out for people to test.

dosbox-0.70
dosbox.conf

I'm still trying to iron out a few more bugs (I know there's no sound) and when I do I'll put a source tarball up.
Weaver1497

Post by Weaver1497 »

Whoa,
CrazyC what is this? Is this a port of 0.70 I assume? Also if I'm reading correctly there is some sort of dynamic recompilation? Does this mean your going to just work on the 0.70 build from now on? I'm all for it! What are your own experiences with it? Faster speed in some games? Anyway whatever this is your work is MUCH appreciated!!!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Weaver1497 wrote:Is this a port of 0.70 I assume? Also if I'm reading correctly there is some sort of dynamic recompilation? Does this mean your going to just work on the 0.70 build from now on?
Yes, yes and probably.
Weaver1497 wrote:I'm all for it! What are your own experiences with it? Faster speed in some games? Anyway whatever this is your work is MUCH appreciated!!!
Somewhat faster in most things. Emulated ram with the dynamic core is currently limited to 4MB due to the 3MB code cache.
roylazarovich

Post by roylazarovich »

Hi CrazyC, and everyone.

Do you think the extra 32 MB of RAM introduced with the PSP Slim will raise the bar on what games can be emulated using DosBox?

I've been wanting to buy a PSP, but I'm now considering whether or not to wait for the Slim, I'm not really interested in the cosmetic changes, but rather the extra RAM, that's why I want to know if it would be worth waiting for or if it won't make much of a difference?

Thanks
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

roylazarovich wrote:Hi CrazyC, and everyone.

Do you think the extra 32 MB of RAM introduced with the PSP Slim will raise the bar on what games can be emulated using DosBox?

I've been wanting to buy a PSP, but I'm now considering whether or not to wait for the Slim, I'm not really interested in the cosmetic changes, but rather the extra RAM, that's why I want to know if it would be worth waiting for or if it won't make much of a difference?

Thanks
Won't know until it's released and if someone can get homebrew running on it.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

crazyc wrote:
Weaver1497 wrote:Is this a port of 0.70 I assume? Also if I'm reading correctly there is some sort of dynamic recompilation? Does this mean your going to just work on the 0.70 build from now on?
Yes, yes and probably.
Weaver1497 wrote:I'm all for it! What are your own experiences with it? Faster speed in some games? Anyway whatever this is your work is MUCH appreciated!!!
Somewhat faster in most things. Emulated ram with the dynamic core is currently limited to 4MB due to the 3MB code cache.
There's a thread on getting an extra 4M of memory for PSP apps. If I remember correctly, it's whacked by suspending, which is why folks don't tend to use it. However, it seems it would be perfect for the code buffer. Just use the suspend/resume callback to flush the code buffer, then start from clear on recompiling after resuming the app. That should leave more memory for the emulation to devote to the virtual PC.
ISO-B

Post by ISO-B »

Is that possible to use joystick for up-,down-,right-,left-key? Because my game needs arrows and I must write too?
Wally

Post by Wally »

This is a nice release :)

I havent tested much, but i'll get around to it eventually :)

Skyroads seems slower than it was beforehand, maybe its me.

Wally
hlide

Post by hlide »

roylazarovich wrote:Hi CrazyC, and everyone.

Thanks
Supposedly PSP slim firmware can be hacked to run homebrews, which is not the case for the moment.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Wally4000 wrote:Skyroads seems slower than it was beforehand, maybe its me.
Really? Did you replace your config file too?

I've put up a new binary with completely untested ir keyboard support. If your ini file isn't in the default place add a irkeybini=<file> option to the [sdl] section of the config file. The psp buttons will continue to operate the same as before even if the keyboard is enabled.
Is that possible to use joystick for up-,down-,right-,left-key? Because my game needs arrows and I must write too?
Mapping keys to the analog stick is not currently possible.
Wally

Post by Wally »

*Eyes crazyc suspiciously*

No I didnt -_-

I'll do that :)
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Crazyc, can you make a Irkeyboard Binary for 0.60 version ?

I rather use that until 0.70 works fine (with sound etc :) )
Wally

Post by Wally »

W00fer wrote:Crazyc, can you make a Irkeyboard Binary for 0.60 version ?

I doubt crazyc has the time to do this :P why not do it yourself?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Has anyone even tried the ir keyboard yet? I don't even know if it works.
Bluddy

Post by Bluddy »

CrazyC, can you check why dos navigator doesn't work with 0.70? I (like many others) use it as my 'gui' to access my games and it hangs on start.
cloudhunter

Post by cloudhunter »

crazyc wrote:

Has anyone even tried the ir keyboard yet? I don't even know if it works.
I'll test it tomorrow :)

Cloudy
:)