dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

fMSX v3.3.2 (MSX Emulator for PSP) has a really good keyboard.
Just throwing ideas around.
cloudhunter

Post by cloudhunter »

Been having trouble with dosbox. Launched it through irshell, and the mount commands that are executed on startup and the IR Keyboard don't work. However, could just be my PSP. It is a little... unusual.

Cloudy
:)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

cloudhunter wrote:Been having trouble with dosbox. Launched it through irshell, and the mount commands that are executed on startup and the IR Keyboard don't work. However, could just be my PSP. It is a little... unusual.

Cloudy
Try running it though PSPLink and see if it says "keyboard not found".
fMSX v3.3.2 (MSX Emulator for PSP) has a really good keyboard.
That does look nice. It's license is incompatible with the GPL, I'd have to ask the author but for the moment, other things are higher on the priority list.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Bluddy wrote:CrazyC, can you check why dos navigator doesn't work with 0.70? I (like many others) use it as my 'gui' to access my games and it hangs on start.
Im getting Dos shell up and running for the PSP.

Give that a whirl :) Its quite nice so far.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

Anybody tried the dosgame:

Raptor

I want to know if it works, because on pc it uses 20000 cycles.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Bluddy wrote:CrazyC, can you check why dos navigator doesn't work with 0.70? I (like many others) use it as my 'gui' to access my games and it hangs on start.
Looks to be a subtle problem. I'll spend some time on it when I get a chance.

I've put up a binary and patch against 0.71 with slightly buggy audio support. Use the links on the first page to get them.
Bluddy

Post by Bluddy »

Wally4000, which dos shell? Do you mean the classic dos 4.0 shell? where can i get whatever you're using?
Weaver1497

Post by Weaver1497 »

Sweet!!! Nice work CrazyC! Keep it going!!!! I'm at work and can't test. And 0.71!!!! I haven't even dl'd that for my pc! I do want to echo the request that dos navigator is made to work again. That makes the port alot more "user friendly" so to say.

Two Questions if someone will answer: How is the speed compared to the old 0.60 release? and how buggy is the sound compared to the 0.60 release? Thanks again!!!!!!
Wally

Post by Wally »

Bluddy wrote:Wally4000, which dos shell? Do you mean the classic dos 4.0 shell? where can i get whatever you're using?
Yeah the classic dos shell.

I cant really tell you as it's abandonware and google isnt much help either (** Cough** PM me **Cough**).
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Well google was how I found dosshell, but that was a year or so ago, and most likely is still lying around on the internet waiting to be GOOGLEd.

EDIT: Dosshell works fine, except for a few graphical glitches.

Is is possible to have keys mapped to the face buttons with a
menu to create custom controls as well as the keyboard? That's
my dream dosbox, because I don't understand p-sprint.
fourmyfriends

hey just a stupid question

Post by fourmyfriends »

Perhaps this may seem like a stupid question to an actual coder, yet seems fairly logical for a NooB, wouldn't dosbox be a more appropriate firmware than a program. its seems it might free up resources to run dosbox with psp support, than to run psp with dos support, please correct me if I'm wrong and help me to understand why

Also thank you thank you thank you to Crazy, I have not yet installed the new dosbox, but I have read all 10 pages of posts carefully, so it shouldn't be an issue. I think it is amazing that people out there still believe in doing things for the challenge, and for the benefit of everyone. The music industry could learn a serious lesson in this selfless bettering of users. Of course I'm sure if there was serious money in homebrew for psp, it would have its 'popstars' to, but not crazy, and that's back to the point,

CRAZY YOU DO THE COMMUNITY AND THE WORLD A SERVICE KEEP IT UP!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

J.F. wrote: There's a thread on getting an extra 4M of memory for PSP apps. If I remember correctly, it's whacked by suspending, which is why folks don't tend to use it. However, it seems it would be perfect for the code buffer. Just use the suspend/resume callback to flush the code buffer, then start from clear on recompiling after resuming the app. That should leave more memory for the emulation to devote to the virtual PC.
This works well, thanks. As a bonus, suspend works now although it's rather flaky. Another thread said that all files are closed and not reopened afterward, but it doesn't seem to be that simple. Anyway, I went a little farther and reset the protection on the ME area at 0x88300000 for an extra megabyte. Seems to work with no ill side effects.
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Is there a way to exit dosbox using the HOME button?
Wally

Post by Wally »

andwhyisit wrote:Is there a way to exit dosbox using the HOME button?
This would be quite handy, saving us a heap of time in testing
driveX

Post by driveX »

What should I edit in dosbox.conf for playing Stargunner without lags?
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

dosbox 0.71 dose have pageing so dose win 3.1 and os/2 work?
sorry for spelling!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

IM back! wrote:dosbox 0.71 dose have pageing so dose win 3.1 and os/2 work?
Yes, but win 3.1 won't work for now.

I've put up a new binary and patch that fixes the issues with audio that I know about, fixes dos navigator (as a bonus the mouse works better now as that was the source of the problem), fixes the home button (was an mistake on my part), allows for aspect ratio correction to 4:3 (aspect=true in the config), and uses the extra ram as above, now the system ram can be up to 8MB.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

the dl is broken
sorry for spelling!
driveX

Post by driveX »

Halo... Please help me
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

dos navigator doesn't work in the new version. exiting works.
sorry for spelling!
fourmyfriends

can anyone help with some code?

Post by fourmyfriends »

I have been kinda getting used to creating batch files to help with the how hard it can be to type with the short cuts, however I was wondering if anyone could figure out some code for a patch, or maybe even just an executable that would allow me to use up and down to scroll through characters, and the right button to move to the next spot, maybe x to return. I would love to have this ability at the command prompt, as I could use dosbox on the go without having to remember key combinations, yes scrolling through all the characters on longer commands, but it would ease the combo problems
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

IM back! wrote:dos navigator doesn't work in the new version. exiting works.
Check if it starts when you put the stick in joystick mode first. If so, your thumbstick must have a lot of drift, try Joysens.
I would love to have this ability at the command prompt,
Map the keys in the config file, then switch to mapped mode at start. Or use a dos shell with mouse support. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
Yes, but win 3.1 won't work for now.
Let me rephrase this. Win 3.1 works in standard mode, not in enhanced mode.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

crazyc wrote:Let me rephrase this. Win 3.1 works in standard mode, not in enhanced mode.
Not surprising. Back when I did PCx for the Amiga, that was a big pain in the butt. Standard mode just requires 16bit protected mode to operate. Enhanced mode requires the mmu, v86, and more. You also need a BIOS capable of handling it. The fake BIOS created with widgets to go to native execution normally aren't written with enchanced mode in mind. You need to make the BIOS more like an actual BIOS. I got PCx to work in enhanced mode initially by using an actual AT BIOS from AMI. I eventually stuck enough x86 code in the fake BIOS to get it working with enchanced mode.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

J.F. wrote: Not surprising. Back when I did PCx for the Amiga, that was a big pain in the butt. Standard mode just requires 16bit protected mode to operate. Enhanced mode requires the mmu, v86, and more. You also need a BIOS capable of handling it. The fake BIOS created with widgets to go to native execution normally aren't written with enchanced mode in mind. You need to make the BIOS more like an actual BIOS. I got PCx to work in enhanced mode initially by using an actual AT BIOS from AMI. I eventually stuck enough x86 code in the fake BIOS to get it working with enchanced mode.
Well, dosbox does support enhanced mode, it just requires the full 16MB page table that's far to large for the PSP. That said, I do have enhanced mode running, if a bit flaky, with a partial two-level page table. Now for Windows 95 :).
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

crazyc wrote:
J.F. wrote: Not surprising. Back when I did PCx for the Amiga, that was a big pain in the butt. Standard mode just requires 16bit protected mode to operate. Enhanced mode requires the mmu, v86, and more. You also need a BIOS capable of handling it. The fake BIOS created with widgets to go to native execution normally aren't written with enchanced mode in mind. You need to make the BIOS more like an actual BIOS. I got PCx to work in enhanced mode initially by using an actual AT BIOS from AMI. I eventually stuck enough x86 code in the fake BIOS to get it working with enchanced mode.
Well, dosbox does support enhanced mode, it just requires the full 16MB page table that's far to large for the PSP. That said, I do have enhanced mode running, if a bit flaky, with a partial two-level page table. Now for Windows 95 :).
I see - it's a memory issue with how the original dosbox did the mmu management. I could see where that would be an issue. :) PC programs often love to simply throw memory at the problem. With the amount of memory PCs have these days, why not? That does make conversion to the PSP an issue.
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

crazyc wrote:
I would love to have this ability at the command prompt,
Map the keys in the config file, then switch to mapped mode at start. Or use a dos shell with mouse support. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
I think you did,
But on that subject how do you do the key mapping thing, is there a tutorial somewhere?

fourmyfriends: you need to autoexec dosshell or dos navigator with the "dosbox.conf" file.

Example:
[autoexec]
mount c ms0:/dos/
c:
dosshell.exe
Wally

Post by Wally »

Weird,

dosbox is now doing nothing but freezing on me when i go into a game / program except dos shell.

I get a bus error etc, another thing is when i flick the power switch up the numbers change.

i'll try to re download the build and get back to you
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

andwhyisit wrote: But on that subject how do you do the key mapping thing, is there a tutorial somewhere?
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=52519#52519
I get a bus error etc, another thing is when i flick the power switch up the numbers change.
Can you run it psplink and post the error. Maybe there are problems using scePowerVolatileMemLock.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Odd,

I think my build went crazy over something little (maybe it was the old build using the new dosbox.conf)

Its working fine now crazyC. Running through PSPlink.
fourmyfriends

Wolf3d and raptor working great

Post by fourmyfriends »

thank you so much, I checked out 3d realms website, and they still have the shareware zip files for most of their legacy games, downloaded wolf3d, commander keen, duke nukem 1, and they all seem to work great,

any comments on a scrolling letter chooser, it's not a keyboard, but would be awful convenient for entering dos commands, you know like in old arcade games where you used up and down to change characters, and left right to change the cursor position?

Also any chance of a dosbox firmware? or is that technically ridiculous (I don't code, not sure about the realistic logic of that one)

Any help with either of these issues would be great, thank you