PSP Memory

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

PSP Memory

Post by Guest »

Yes its true, I managed to repeat Oopo's success in applying the faux PSP firmware update that masquerades a game.

This provides a fabulous opportunity to learn how to reverse the effects of bad firmware updates.

For example, as documented already on many Japanese sites dedicated to the PSP, the unit contains a Samsung MCP (multi-chip package) ram chip. In other words, its a single chip package that actually has two "chips" inside.

It is a Samsung K5E5658HMC-D06 (from memory) you can search on it.

Anyhow, it contains a full 32MB NAND FLASH *plus* 32MB DDR SDRAM.

Imagine, how much extra software Sony can put into the PSP ?

But this begs the question, there *must* be a way to reset a PSP in case of a bad flash. While no doubt Sony would test any REAL firmware updates as thoroughly as possible, it is too easy for something to go wrong in expensive consumer devices.

However, if the PSP in its "store-bought" condition already operates off a pre-loaded firmware that ends up being replaced by future updates, then reverting is an impossibility. But that just doesn't seem reasonable.

But if not in flash, where does the PSP's stock embedded operating system reside ?

I am excited to join Oopo in exploring this tantalizing new direction of PSP homebrew development!
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Welcome, brother! I am glad you have finally seen the light!

Praise Sony!
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

However, if the PSP in its "store-bought" condition already operates off a pre-loaded firmware that ends up being replaced by future updates, then reverting is an impossibility. But that just doesn't seem reasonable.
Hmm.. I hope for both of your sakes, that Sony are reasonable. :) Atleast you're a bit closer to the source and can go knock on the designers door and ask them to show you how to fix it.

Oobles.
Pikoro

Post by Pikoro »

I'd be willing to bet that there is some kind of bios reset, a couple of contact points on the board that if shorted out would allow you to reflash from the default bios. Problem is getting that default bios. THAT is the real quest here.

I'd be willing to bet that the rom can be pulled off onto a memory stick or some such, but it'd have to be done with the thing taken apart, or via some kind of flash utility. anyone sniffed info from a usb port this thing is plugged into while the box is turned on? It might have some kind of address or i'd bet on a boot loader that's accessable only when a particular key combo is sent to the device during the first second of poweron or some such.

Anyways, just an idea. I'm gonna see if i can track down a usb port sniffer.

Cheers

Post by Guest »

Well, the PSP might not *have* a BIOS per se.

It would be enough for the FLASH to hold the firmware, and this is the most common situation for consumer-type embedded devices.

Not ruling it out, but trying not to create too many parallels with PCs here. The more appropriate parallels are the Ipods, MP3 players/jukeboxes, Wifi Access points, etc...

And the flash memory chip is a FBGA, so good luck getting it off. ;)
FreeFighter

SAMSUNG TIES UP PSP CHIP DEAL

Post by FreeFighter »

According to an article on CVG:
Samsung has stated that the chipset it'll be supplying will flash specs of 64 megabytes, 256 megabit NAND flash memory and high-speed mobile DDR (double data rate) DRAM (dynamic random access memory).

Re: SAMSUNG TIES UP PSP CHIP DEAL

Post by Guest »

FreeFighter wrote:According to an article on CVG:
My information came directly from Samsung:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semicon ... 200307.pdf

K5E5658HMC-D06

Code: Select all

K 5 X X X X X X X X - X X X X X X X 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
3: E = NAND Flash + DDR SDRAM
4-5: 56 = When 1st Chip이 NAND Flash(x8),  256M
6-7: 58 = (not in document, presumably (DDR SDRAM x 8) 256M
FreeFighter

Post by FreeFighter »

Then could it be that it's only in the US and European release?
CVG wrote:SAMSUNG TIES UP PSP CHIP DEAL

It looked like the chips were down for Sony's PSP, but new deal with electronics giant means the chips are actually... up

10:28 Asian electronics giant Samsung has finalised a deal with Sony to supply advanced chips for the PSP.

According to a report on Reuters, Samsung is keen to expand its share of the electronic chip market into consumer entertainment products like handheld games, digital cameras and mobile phones.

The deal will help Sony meet its projected target of three million PSPs shifted worldwide before the end of March. Production of the slinky handheld has suffered from a shortage of components, resulting in only 200,000 units being available for the Japanese launch on December 12 of last year.

Since then Sony has moved well over 500,000 PSPs in Japan. While stock shortages were initially reported by retailers the situation has since stabilised, with even import retailers dropping prices back from their extortionate £600 to £700 peak.

The US and European PSP launches haven't been officially announced yet, but the handheld is strongly expected to hit in March. Hopefully this deal should mean Sony can ensure there are plenty of PSPs on shelves.

And if you're interested, Samsung has stated that the chipset it'll be supplying will flash specs of 64 megabytes, 256 megabit NAND flash memory and high-speed mobile DDR (double data rate) DRAM (dynamic random access memory). Brilliant.

Post by Guest »

Don't know what you mean. The memory specs in the report you posted match the specs I posted.

64MB = 32MB NAND flash + 32MB DDR SDRAM
FreeFighter

Post by FreeFighter »

gorim wrote:Don't know what you mean. The memory specs in the report you posted match the specs I posted.

64MB = 32MB NAND flash + 32MB DDR SDRAM
I just thought they were going to put in a better chip for US and Europe release. But if you say it's the same, i believe you.
mc

Post by mc »

gorim wrote:Well, the PSP might not *have* a BIOS per se.

It would be enough for the FLASH to hold the firmware, and this is the most common situation for consumer-type embedded devices.
BIOS, firmware, same thing, different name.

It's the resident software which abstracts the hardware enough to let you boot application software (i.e. games :)
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
nem

ball assign info?

Post by nem »

I need ball assign informatin of the memory chip.
Is there any clue for that?
Penhalion

Post by Penhalion »

Wouldn't worry too much as if for any reason the flash didn't work the first time you can re-flashed it just don't turn off the power until told to do so ;o)

...say no more! say no more! A nod is as good as a wink to a blind man...nudge nudge...wink wink

Re: ball assign info?

Post by Guest »

nem wrote:I need ball assign informatin of the memory chip.
Is there any clue for that?
www.samsung.com

If they don't have the info posted yet (they didn't a month or so ago) then you are SOL.
mc

Post by mc »

They have pinouts of other MCP products though. I very much doubt they have thought out a special pinout for this particular chip, so it should be essentially the same as for other MCP chips with the same ball count.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

i find it interesting that in their jan 13 press release they state that the chip will have 256 M of nand flash memory. i dont know whre im getting 32 from them... am i looking at the wrong numbers here? samsung maybe just made a generalization on what they can do with that setup but the page IS about the PSP chips... oh well...

i get dumber by the second... i think i know how somthing works.. then i read things like this

http://www.samsung.com/sg/presscenter/p ... 094242.asp
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

32MB = 256Mb

one megabyte = 8 megabits
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH its getting late... sorry, i didnt catch it.... im not used to people using bits for storage specs vice bandwidth

ill have to write this one down in my book of all-time retarded posts.
mofamous

Post by mofamous »

just take a look at SAMSUNG MCP TECH.
How to learn the following secents as SAMSUNG says :

"With the world's fastest MCP processing rate of 1.3GB/s, the MCP devices supplied for the Sony PSP have a capacity of 64 megabytes and consist of 256 Mb NAND flash memory and high-speed mobile DDR (double-data-rate) DRAM memory."

any experts' HELP?

I just want to know the true ! 24hrs standby on forum !
Lain_OTN

Post by Lain_OTN »

Yes it's true...

256Mb of NAND flash + 256 Mb of RAM

256Mb / 8 bits per Byte = 32 MB.
32MB FLASH + 32MB RAM ...
Nothing new...
mofamous

Post by mofamous »

who had got this type of SAMSUNG' IC data sheet?

please email to : r9100@163.com THANK YOU !!!!

I want to learn more clear in this chip!
pixel

Post by pixel »

Nobody has, it's a special chip made by samsung for sony, and is not available for the public. You have to guess the pinout yourself, as other people did. Now stop bugging the forums about it.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.