dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Sterist wrote: i've noticed that the sound comes in a much different tone on the psp for some games than it does on the PC, while running through Soundblaster on both. is that some sort of bug or .... well, what? lol
Shouldn't happen with the newest build. What apps?
Now the only thing that makes it perfect... it's a pretty on-screen keyboard :D
No news yet, been working on other things with what time I have.

New binary and patch with fix to input mapping, more debugging for ir keyboard and some changes to the recompiler that I'm fairly sure that I've worked the bugs out of but if anything breaks with this that worked before, tell me.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

crazyc wrote:Win3.1 from an hdd image works fine here, I don't know about cd images.
what do you use to make a img? i use bmximg from bochs. maby you could send me a emty fat16 img via email 20mb? thanks in advance. i relly want to try those old win3.x games on my psp (sim city mbp ect.)
sorry for spelling!
Sterist

Post by Sterist »

crazyc wrote:
Sterist wrote: i've noticed that the sound comes in a much different tone on the psp for some games than it does on the PC, while running through Soundblaster on both. is that some sort of bug or .... well, what? lol
Shouldn't happen with the newest build. What apps?
Major Stryker (can be found at www.dosgames.com under space shooters)

they don't stutter much, but they are unmistakably different pitched sounds while in game (higher pitch and bass portion is minimal or missing)

==============================================
==============================================
raulpica wrote:Now the only thing that makes it perfect... it's a pretty on-screen keyboard :D

Some news on that side?
Sterist wrote:that aside, i'd like to let you know that i made a video for the FAQ's you might still be getting about the keyboard, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFzA7FOpmeA
tinker

ir keyboard/new binary

Post by tinker »

>New binary and patch with fix to input mapping, more debugging for ir >keyboard and some changes to the recompiler that I'm fairly sure that >I've worked the bugs out of but if anything breaks with this that worked >before, tell me.

crazyc - i didn't notice any changes in the patch for the irkeyboard are you sure you included them? anyways it behaves the same as before on my system (prints irkeyboard found and black screen)

btw you don't need an irkeyboard to repro the issue. grab this http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WLQ0S8ZL and run dosbox.

thanks for working on this.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

IM back! wrote:what do you use to make a img? i use bmximg from bochs. maby you could send me a emty fat16 img via email 20mb? thanks in advance. i relly want to try those old win3.x games on my psp (sim city mbp ect.)
I have to take back what I said before. In fact I ran Windows 95 from a hdd image not Windows 3.1 (don't bother trying it, running anything other then explorer crashes when the PSP runs out of memory). I'll have to take a closer look at that. BTW, I'd use the dos version of Simcity. DOS Simcity 2000 is even playable as long as your city doesn't get too large.
they don't stutter much, but they are unmistakably different pitched sounds while in game (higher pitch and bass portion is minimal or missing)
If these sounds are from the OPL synth, then yes they will sound different. For now the OPL emulator is forced to one OPL2 mode as two OPL2s or the OPL3 run very slow.
crazyc - i didn't notice any changes in the patch for the irkeyboard are you sure you included them? anyways it behaves the same as before on my system (prints irkeyboard found and black screen)
It should have outputted more debugging info. I'll look at it some more when I can.
Tyro

Post by Tyro »

Wow, the PSP is turning more and more into a poor man's laptop! :D

DOSbox on PSP is just soooooo awesome! I've just installed Might & Magic: World of Xeen on the little thing and it looks just so cool! Okay, the sound is hardly bearable and the speed (or lack thereof) doesn't really make it all that playable, but hey, it's still funny. I like it! :)
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

I wanted to use simcity for windows because simcity dos ends with a bsod when i try to build somthing. maby ill try dosbox 6.0.

edit: simcity dos works on .71 if i set the cpu core to normal (makes the game slower)
sorry for spelling!
Wally

Post by Wally »

This build is quite nice although Jazz Jackrabbit seems a bit slow still,

Like others i have noticed keys tend to stick,

in supaplex the keys become stuck and move themselves (its usually the right arrow or up arrow.

its almost like gravity is on

In Cosmo / Skyroads, its impossible to press two buttons at once, say I press jump but i want to move sideways it doesnt work. It ends up being very messy.

Wally

P.S

I have started a compatibility list @
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10337

It makes more sense to have a compatibility list there as we are experts on this sorta stuff :)
scatola

Post by scatola »

Hi all, DosBoX for PSP is very cool, but i have a question for you: is possible to map the d-pad and the L1 and R1 buttons? Thanks in advance!
narrus

Post by narrus »

Someone more knowledgable can (and probably will :)) correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the analog stick, L, and R buttons are currently unavailable for mapping as they are your mouse.
scatola

Post by scatola »

Ah, it's the mouse. Thanks narrus! (i use it in dos navigator).
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

hey!

First of all, thank you very much CrazyC for all ur work with this very nice emulator. I loved the good old Dos games in my childhood and now I can take them with me to university and play them on my PSP ... :D that's awesome!

[EDIT]: Problem solved ... it's been my own dumbness :D

But in some games, u have to enter a name or whatever ... and if the keys are mapped, this is impossible ... can u think of a solution to this? I mean maybe a virtual keyboard woul realy be useful. I think the method to enter letters u invented in DosBox is good (maybe I'm the only one, but whocares :) ), because IF u once have learned how it worx, it's a damn fast way to type on the PSP! But it needs practice. PLUS: the key combos are not randomly chosen. They make sense, once u know how it worx :)

But as I said ... in some games u need mapping of the keys in order to play properly, but on the other hand, u also need a keyboard to enter names and stuff like that.

I'd love to read what u think about this crazyc ...

Greetings, ur fan
Howling Mad Murdock
scatola

Post by scatola »

Hi crazyc, DosBox 0.72 has been relased, can you update?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

scatola wrote:Hi all, DosBoX for PSP is very cool, but i have a question for you: is possible to map the d-pad and the L1 and R1 buttons? Thanks in advance!
Not the d-pad, but the L1 and R1 buttons can be mapped with ltrigger and rtrigger.
In Cosmo / Skyroads, its impossible to press two buttons at once, say I press jump but i want to move sideways it doesnt work. It ends up being very messy.
With the latest? In Duke Nukum pressing two buttons at once works fine.
I think the method to enter letters u invented in DosBox is good
I didn't invent it. Arwin did.
But as I said ... in some games u need mapping of the keys in order to play properly, but on the other hand, u also need a keyboard to enter names and stuff like that.
You can switch between mapped and p-sprint mode with LTRIGGER+RTRIGGER+SELECT+DOWN.
I mean maybe a virtual keyboard would really be useful.
Yeah, but it'll take some time.
Hi crazyc, DosBox 0.72 has been released, can you update?
It's only a small update, but I'll update eventually.

I've put up a new version that fixes a nasty bug c2woody found (Thanks again). Also, with a real live IR keyboard, I've fixed some bugs there and know it works.
scatola

Post by scatola »

In the two Prince of Persia, when i press the WALK button + left or right (to walk), when i relase the WALK button, the prince run without stopping. It run right or left, (depending if i press right or left BEFORE WALK).

Another problem: to jump is necessary press the left or right keys + jump (UP arrow), i changed up arrow to CROSS, but the dosbox don't support two keys pressed in the same time, so i can't jump.
Wally

Post by Wally »

scatola wrote:In the two Prince of Persia, when i press the WALK button + left or right (to walk), when i relase the WALK button, the prince run without stopping. It run right or left, (depending if i press right or left BEFORE WALK).
Exactly the problem in supaplex
Another problem: to jump is necessary press the left or right keys + jump (UP arrow), i changed up arrow to CROSS, but the dosbox don't support two keys pressed in the same time, so i can't jump.
Exactly the problem in those games which need two keys at the same time.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

scatola wrote:In the two Prince of Persia, when i press the WALK button + left or right (to walk), when i relase the WALK button, the prince run without stopping. It run right or left, (depending if i press right or left BEFORE WALK).

I just checked and all this works fine. You must be using an older version. Get the newest version from the first post in this thread.
narrus

Post by narrus »

I didn't realize the l and r triggers could be mapped. That'll make some games better for sure.
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Hi CrazyC,
i have the same problem like scatola in Jazz Jackrabbit and some other games (i tested Yogho). And a known problem, if i'll run with Jazz and want to jump i can not press the jump button because it won't work. I mean, arrow right (or left), jump and shoot (i mapped the x,o and arrow with lctrl,lalt and cursor keys. I can map this keys with other pc key but it is the same result).

And another question to all:
could anybody mapped prince of persia correctly? if i want to map the key, they did not work in game.
scatola

Post by scatola »

Crazyc, i have a problem downloading the new 0.71 binary file, it's a file of 716kb, i renamed to EBOOT.PBP, but it say damaged data. The older file is 1.20mb. There's somthings wrong.
can you upload on mediafire.com?
Last edited by scatola on Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
imdumas

Post by imdumas »

Hi,

I'm spanish, so i dont speak very well english. Yesterday, i saw your dosbox emulator for psp and i downloaded it. I installed the prince of persia game on the emulator, but, when i started the game, the doll did not move. Later, i ask a lot of friends if they could resolve the problem, but nobody could resolve it. The game is the first Prince Of Persia, you can download the game here (the game is already configurated for your emulator):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YXM9UX1K

I hope you will resolve the problem in the next update of the emulator.

Thank you very much in advance for your attention.
tinker

download

Post by tinker »

from some reason now when i download the files in the first post i get the 0.60 source and 0.60 mod for the patch rather than the .71 changes.

are you sure you posted them correctly? i'm very excited to hear you have ir keyboard working.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Edit: Try getting it now.
tinker

tested irkeyboard

Post by tinker »

got the new file thanks. it loads without the irkeybini line and says no irkeyboard.
I add irkeybini=/PSP/GAME/dosbox/pspirkeyb.ini and PSPlink says IR keyboard found and the screen goes blank like before - my IR keyboard isn't even close to the system so it must be a setting or something if you have it working.

Any chance you can post the dosbox.conf/pspkeyirb.ini/keymap files you use so i can drop them in and test?

assume you link the library in so there is no external dependency right like the irc and ssh client right?

anything else i can do to help test?
crazyc

Re: tested irkeyboard

Post by crazyc »

tinker wrote:got the new file thanks. it loads without the irkeybini line and says no irkeyboard.
I add irkeybini=/PSP/GAME/dosbox/pspirkeyb.ini and PSPlink says IR keyboard found and the screen goes blank like before - my IR keyboard isn't even close to the system so it must be a setting or something if you have it working.

Any chance you can post the dosbox.conf/pspkeyirb.ini/keymap files you use so i can drop them in and test?

assume you link the library in so there is no external dependency right like the irc and ssh client right?

anything else i can do to help test?

Code: Select all

irkeybini=host0:/pspirkeyb/libpspirkeyb/config/pspirkeyb-test.ini
You've got to have ms0: as part of the path.

Code: Select all

#
# pspirtty keyboard driver
#

[KEYBOARD]
mapfile_dir = 'host0:/pspirkeyb/libpspirkeyb/keymap';
map = 'default.ini';
keyboard = 22;
22 is a driver I've added myself.
tinker

further

Post by tinker »

did you mean host0:/ or ms0:/ above? i'm assuming ms0:/

I have these:

[KEYBOARD]
mapfile_dir = 'ms0:/PSP/GAME/dosbox/keymap';
map = 'default.ini';
keyboard = 20;

irkeybini=ms0:/PSP/GAME/dosbox/pspirkeyb-test.ini

i got the keymap etc. files from the latest libpspirkeyb svn.

should there be any issue with putting it in the psp/game directory? i tried putting it in the directories you suggested and it said ir keyboard not found.

running latest m33 btw.

thanks for helping.
crazyc

Re: further

Post by crazyc »

tinker wrote:did you mean host0:/ or ms0:/ above? i'm assuming ms0:/

I have these:

[KEYBOARD]
mapfile_dir = 'ms0:/PSP/GAME/dosbox/keymap';
map = 'default.ini';
keyboard = 20;

irkeybini=ms0:/PSP/GAME/dosbox/pspirkeyb-test.ini

i got the keymap etc. files from the latest libpspirkeyb svn.

should there be any issue with putting it in the psp/game directory? i tried putting it in the directories you suggested and it said ir keyboard not found.

running latest m33 btw.

thanks for helping.
I'm not suggesting where you should put it, just what I used. You should be able to put the ini file anywhere as long as the path is correct in the dosbox config file.
tinker

just changed the keyboard to 15

Post by tinker »

and guess what it loads with irkeyboard found and no black screen (but of course doesn't work with my keyboard).

could you please try changing the keyboard number to 20 on your system and see what happens? - does my black screen repro?

the latest irkeyb might have a bug for keyboard 20?
crazyc

Re: just changed the keyboard to 15

Post by crazyc »

tinker wrote:and guess what it loads with irkeyboard found and no black screen (but of course doesn't work with my keyboard).

could you please try changing the keyboard number to 20 on your system and see what happens? - does my black screen repro?

the latest irkeyb might have a bug for keyboard 20?
There is a newer version of the driver for the palm keyboard in svn that doesn't freeze. I've put up a new binary linked with it.
tinker

THANK YOU

Post by tinker »

it works. wonderful :).

1 hour later - trying to get the function keys working (probably don't know what i'm doing).

can you confirm you used pspirkeyb from svn 2281 or greater (because 2 weeks ago modifications were made to enable function keys for palm).

thanks.