dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

crazyc

Re: 10mb of memory

Post by crazyc »

AB10784 wrote:Is there a way after exiting a game to reset the inputmaps to default?
Why would you want to do this?
I have a problem with certain games: Games like Archon Ultra and Prince of Persia do not seem to respond to any input, or either do partially not respond :( The keys are mapped correctly, but the game does not react.
In Prince of Persia you have to either use to joystick or press ctrl-k to switch to keyboard mode. I don't know about Archon Ultra.

I've put up a new binary that hopefully gets rid of some of the pops and clicks in the audio although it will still skip if the emulator runs to slow. No patch yet, I want to finish some other things first.
Sterist

Post by Sterist »

Sterist wrote:is there any way possible at this moment to hold "ALT CTRL DEL" ?

(not during game/app)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Sterist wrote:is there any way possible at this moment to hold "ALT CTRL DEL" ?

(not during game/app)
Not without an ir keyboard.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

crazy: i was making you a offer to monitor the non dev thread for you and awnser any questions i can in your place and routing on any questions people have that i cant answner to you
sorry for spelling!
twonth

Post by twonth »

Two questions:

1) Is there any way to donate to crazyc for his AMAZING work so far (paypal, etc.)? I haven't read through all the posts in this thread, so it's possible I've missed it.

2) I'm very happy with the inclusion of IR keyboard support (!) My only qualm is that I'm experiencing considerable lag. (I'm using a Targus.) Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Best, Paul
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:
I have a problem with certain games: Games like Archon Ultra and Prince of Persia do not seem to respond to any input, or either do partially not respond :( The keys are mapped correctly, but the game does not react.
In Prince of Persia you have to either use to joystick or press ctrl-k to switch to keyboard mode. I don't know about Archon Ultra.
ehm .. maybe a dummy question, but how do ya map the joystick? INPUTMAP followed by what?

I had a look at teh mapper.txt of the original DosBox and at the file avail_keys.txt, but I don't get it ... :) sorry!

I tried to map the arrows with the commands given in the mapper.txt ... but that doesn't work ... I tried "INPUTMAP nub joystick" but the bastard doesn't move ...

Can u tell me please how to map the joystick?

Or can u tell me/us how to map a key combo? I mean as you said CTRL+k? I assume that this is impossible, since u already told the other guy that ALT DEL CTRL is impossible ... sad sad ...

Anyway, we can play so many games already, it's fabulous! :)

But PLEASE, consider implementing a virtual keyboard ... :D it'd make certain things so much easier. Like hitting two or more keys at the same time (at least two, which is used in Dos/games so often).
mypspdev

win 3.1 running under dosbox

Post by mypspdev »

Hi to all,
I red some posts before something about running win 3.1 (win3.11 ... win 95) under PSP dosbox.
I've prepared a folder under with
ms0:/dosbox/autoexec.bat and config.sys
ms0:/dosbox/windows/ with *.exe, *.dll, *.hlp, *.txt, *.com, *.sys etc. have place included here WIN.COM and SETUP.EXE
ms0/:dosbox/windows/system with all the rest exe, drv, dll etc...

Please could you tell me how to run correctly win3.1 under dosbox?
using win.com, logo appears and error stopped the process:
Exit to error: DynrecCore: illegal option in dyn_segprefix

using setup.exe
back to promt c:/windows

My autoexec.bat is
PATH C:\WINDOWS;
set TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

My config.sys is:
files = 30
buffers = 30
device=C:\WINDOWS\mouse.sys /Y
device=C:\WINDOWS\smartdrv.sys 2048 1024

Much thanks in advance for any help...
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Hi there and big thanks for a new release. So, i compiled the new binary to eboot.pbp. Get it from http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257

@0.71 build 6.7.2007
The new release runs very well (i tested again Jazz Jackrabbit) and think it runs a little faster. Great work CrazyC.

Did anybody get runs the game Slipstream 5000? It is a great 3d shooter/racer for dos.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Hey aTomIC,

don't wanna compete with u, but I bet u once again didn't change the ugly icon of ur build, right? ;)

So here's a compiled version from me, I used C:\ as the symbol in XMB, no b... ehm ...manga girl ;) and I also added a background and some electronic music to the icon. Nothing to win a prize for, but I like it. ADDITIONALLY, I have added again Dos Navigator in order to make it easier to load games. Furthermore, I already set the RAM to max, meaning 10 MB, as crazyC told us here.

Here's the link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/54031010/Do ... .09.07.rar

It's password protected, just copy 'n' paste my name ... :) "Murdock"

Oh, crazy, why don'T u already provide eboot.bpb files of ur new versions? R u just too lazy? :D

Anyway, thank you for the newest version!
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Hi Murdock,
thanks for your compiled eboot.pbp. How can i change the icon, name and picture?
IM back!

Re: win 3.1 running under dosbox

Post by IM back! »

mypspdev: there is a limit to the amount of files that can be open at the same time, that # is superseded by the # of files windows needs to open to boot so what you need to do ls put it on image. at this point a hard disk image dosnt work for unknown reasons, so your going to need to use a cd image. (pm me if you need more help.)
sorry for spelling!
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Would this work as an eboot background:
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote: I tried to map the arrows with the commands given in the mapper.txt ... but that doesn't work ... I tried "INPUTMAP nub joystick" but the bastard doesn't move ...
Try "INPUTMAP analog joystick" or press LTRIGGER+RTRIGGER+START+DOWN.
Or can u tell me/us how to map a key combo? I mean as you said CTRL+k? I assume that this is impossible, since u already told the other guy that ALT DEL CTRL is impossible ... sad sad ...
Read the docs for p-sprint. The reason ctrl-alt-del is not currently doable is because it is not possible to press two modifiers, ctrl-k is a possible keystroke.
i was making you a offer to monitor the non dev thread for you and awnser any questions i can in your place and routing on any questions people have that i cant answner to you
I don't have any problem with this.
1) Is there any way to donate to crazyc for his AMAZING work so far (paypal, etc.)? I haven't read through all the posts in this thread, so it's possible I've missed it.
I don't like to take money something I enjoy doing. It makes it difficult to drop when it stops being fun
2) I'm very happy with the inclusion of IR keyboard support (!) My only qualm is that I'm experiencing considerable lag. (I'm using a Targus.) Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong
I don't have this problem with my keyboard.
device=C:\WINDOWS\mouse.sys /Y
device=C:\WINDOWS\smartdrv.sys 2048 1024
In addition to what IM back said, remove these lines.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Why dont we start a readme from this thread :P
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

Wally4000 wrote:Why dont we start a readme from this thread :P
or we start a new thead just for peoples questions and have it monitored by some volunteers. (to take some wait off crazyc)
i'll ask wraggster for a dosbox dcemu section.
sorry for spelling!
Wally

Post by Wally »

IM back! wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:Why dont we start a readme from this thread :P
or we start a new thead just for peoples questions and have it monitored by some volunteers. (to take some wait off crazyc)
i'll ask wraggster for a dosbox dcemu section.
I doubt wraggster would approve of it,

A section for one topic is a no no.

Why not put it somewhere more appropriate like dosgames.com's forum (www.dosgames.com/forum)

Just make a post and i'll sticky it
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:
Murdock wrote: I tried to map the arrows with the commands given in the mapper.txt ... but that doesn't work ... I tried "INPUTMAP nub joystick" but the bastard doesn't move ...
Try "INPUTMAP analog joystick" or press LTRIGGER+RTRIGGER+START+DOWN.
Read the docs for p-sprint. The reason ctrl-alt-del is not currently doable is because it is not possible to press two modifiers, ctrl-k is a possible keystroke.

Okay, how much of these "secret" key combos do u have? :) LTRIGGER + RTRIGGER + ...

Yeah, sorry 'bout that .. I don't know why I used the word "nub" ... very silly of me.

And thx, I had a look at p-sprint and it's documentation ... I have to admit from the picture, which is handed around in the internet with the PC keyboard and the PSP key combos I thought this input method has some sense ... but now, having had a look at the docs, I think it'S entirely senseless! Why the hell does s/o put the combos together in such a random order? There's just NOTHING that makes sense ... if u hit TRIANGLE + CIRCLE u get an 'a', but if u hit ARROW LEFT twice u get the 'b'. But if u hit SQUARE + CIRCLE in turn, u get the next letter, the 'c' ... WTF?!

Anyway ... u told me to read this manual in order to find out how to map two buttons being pressed at the same time to one PSP button. Unfortunately it was impossible for me to find out how to do this from the p-spring docs ... can u please tell me how to do this?

Please think about implementing a virtual keyboard ... I think there are some ready2use codes on the web, right? I am just proposing this because u said it takes too much time to code one urself.But why not taking the one from PSPUAE. I think the source is available, so u could contact the coder and use it. I think (as far as I remember) the virtual keyboard from this emulator was very good.

Greetings,

Howling Mad Murdock
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

if CrazyC wanted hosting at DCEmu with forums for discussion i would gladly do it :)

posting news is as easy as making a forum post ;), everything else can be done in no time whatsoever.

good luck with the emulator btw :)
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
ingsoc

Post by ingsoc »

I PM'd crazyc just yesterday to see if he wanted to have a Wiki setup for dosbox/psp but haven't heard back.

It would be a good place for FAQs, howtos, etc as well as game-specific findings and their configs.

Thoughts?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

MY thought - and I think it's the only right one :) - is that IF crayz wants to make one he'll pretty shurely leave wraggster a message. But we should not push him to do this ... we should leave him doing his thing ... and we just keep bugging him every time we have a problem with his emulator ;) lmao, just kiddin'

Anyway, I think a site on DCEMU would be kinda nice, so he'd have his very own place to release his newer versions.
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Thanks to Mr. Murdock who helping me to make a better eboot.pbp ;) I changed the dosbox.conf (sb16 variables (220 5 1 5), memsize to 10, frameskip to 1, added autocycle=true, mincycles=600 and maxcycles=3000), too.

I made this:
PIC1

ICON0

I hope its okay, CrazyC. Maybe, i'll change the PIC1 with some screenshots of dos games.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

aTomIC wrote:Thanks to Mr. Murdock who helping me to make a better eboot.pbp ;) I changed the dosbox.conf (sb16 variables (220 5 1 5), memsize to 10, frameskip to 1, added autocycle=true, mincycles=600 and maxcycles=3000), too.
hmm, what do these options do? Did u notice a performance gain from them? I mean frameskip is okay, but how about the others? what does autocycle? and min/max?

aTomIC wrote:Maybe, i'll change the PIC1 with some screenshots of dos games.
I'd not change it, it looks really good. Did u make them? how did u get the letters that way? What did u use? Can u pm me about it? :)
ingsoc

Post by ingsoc »

The thing is, if there's a centralized site, the repeated questions can all be answered with a FAQ or something, and user-contributed content can create growth.

Crazyc's burden would probably reduce over the long term as the community participated more.
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Murdock wrote:
aTomIC wrote:Thanks to Mr. Murdock who helping me to make a better eboot.pbp ;) I changed the dosbox.conf (sb16 variables (220 5 1 5), memsize to 10, frameskip to 1, added autocycle=true, mincycles=600 and maxcycles=3000), too.
hmm, what do these options do? Did u notice a performance gain from them? I mean frameskip is okay, but how about the others? what does autocycle? and min/max?
CrazyC wrote:
crazyc wrote:Another new patch and binary at the links above. This fixes a serious bug in dpmi emulation. Also, the binary is 25% smaller since I now link it against uClibc++. I've added a three new config file options to control a very basic autocycle system.

Code: Select all

[cpu]
autocycle=true
mincycles=600
maxcycles=3000
This will adjust the cycles between 600 and 3000 by attempting to match the emulated vsync with the actual one. This works well with games the run at or nearly full speed.
So, with these options, the games runs better because the system controls the speed. (like CrazyC said)
Murdock wrote:I'd not change it, it looks really good. Did u make them? how did u get the letters that way? What did u use? Can u pm me about it? :)
Yes, i made them with PhotoFiltre and you have a PM :)
twonth

keyboard lag

Post by twonth »

thanks crazyc for responding to my questions. do you (or anyone else) know what could be causing my keyboard delay? has anyone else noticed this with a targus keyboard? (afkim and pspssh work fine for me, btw.)

it's clearly not a horribly important issue, but since i'm using dosbox to run moderately typing-intensive applications (actually math software like MAPLE V and GP/PARI), it is a noticeable (but slight) annoyance. thanks all.
IM back!

Re: keyboard lag

Post by IM back! »

twonth wrote:thanks crazyc for responding to my questions. do you (or anyone else) know what could be causing my keyboard delay? has anyone else noticed this with a targus keyboard?
crazyc wrote: I don't have this problem with my keyboard.
maby you have the frame skip to high or the app your using is runing to slow
Last edited by IM back! on Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
sorry for spelling!
twonth

Post by twonth »

hi IM back; thanks for your suggestions. I have frameskip set to 0. Also, I experience the same delays between the registering of successive keystrokes even at the DOS prompt, before I run anything...
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

twonth wrote: thanks for your suggestions. I have frameskip set to 0. Also, I experience the same delays between the registering of successive keystrokes even at the DOS prompt, before I run anything...

try runing dosbox at 333mhz
sorry for spelling!
twonth

Post by twonth »

Hi again. I should have mentioned that I already have DOSBOX set to run at 333 MHz. The lag does seem less pronounced than at 222 MHz, but it is still there. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

twonth wrote:hi IM back; thanks for your suggestions. I have frameskip set to 0. Also, I experience the same delays between the registering of successive keystrokes even at the DOS prompt, before I run anything...
The Targus driver is very similar to the driver my keyboard uses (modified Belkin) and it's very responsive. I don't know what could be causing your problem.
hanks to Mr. Murdock who helping me to make a better eboot.pbp ;) I changed the dosbox.conf (sb16 variables (220 5 1 5), memsize to 10, frameskip to 1, added autocycle=true, mincycles=600 and maxcycles=3000), too.
FYI, cycles=sync does that same thing as autocycle=true did with 0.60 and mincycles and maxcycles now are cyclesup and cyclesdown. Cycles=max/auto do the same as pc dosbox.
It would be a good place for FAQs, howtos, etc as well as game-specific findings and their configs.
nyway, I think a site on DCEMU would be kinda nice, so he'd have his very own place to release his newer versions.
I know that the documentation is spread out over the thread and it should be collected in one place. I have no opinion about how.