dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

IM back!

Post by IM back! »

crazyc, im jus got a targus ir keyboard and in dosbox i get very long lags while typeing.
sorry for spelling!
scatola

Post by scatola »

I used Pandora in my memory stick, but is now formatted. I have try dosbox now on another psp (without used pandora). And i have the same problem.
Is possible fix this in a new version or is a PSP kernel problem?
Another question: when i download the EBOOT here: http://home.wi.rr.com/crazyz/dosbox
The DOSBox don't start. I must download it in the atomiC site: http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

scatola wrote:I used Pandora in my memory stick, but is now formatted. I have try dosbox now on another psp (without used pandora). And i have the same problem.
Is possible fix this in a new version or is a PSP kernel problem?
Another question: when i download the EBOOT here: http://home.wi.rr.com/crazyz/dosbox
The DOSBox don't start. I must download it in the atomiC site: http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257
crazyc's isnt a eboot use Fa++ or irshell to lauch it
sorry for spelling!
scatola

Post by scatola »

I haven't understand you "IM back", and i want the reply by crazyc
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

scatola wrote:I haven't understand you "IM back", and i want the reply by crazyc
Hmm, I agree with you, I don'T like Im Back!'s cheeky character, either. But maybe you should at least TRY to clarify what you mean ... because what you say makes no sense ...

scatola wrote: I used Pandora in my memory stick, but is now formatted. I have try dosbox now on another psp (without used pandora). And i have the same problem.
What does THAT mean? You've made a Pandora Memory Stick, okay ... that seems clear. But then? What? you've formatted it again so now it's an ordinary Memory Stick again or what? Then I seen no problem there ...

"(without used pandora)" What shall that mean? I have no clue ... explain it "please" ...

scatola wrote: Is possible fix this in a new version or is a PSP kernel problem?
hmm, there is no problem to fix, since the newest release runs like a charm! And the release you've downloaded is not an EBOOT ...

I think you should just try to read the thread (or AT LEAST the previous 5 pages) and then you'll understand what YOUR error was ...

Anyway ... In case you want to have the very first version of a DosBox manual (NOT complete!), here's the link to a compiled version of DosBOx made by me including some rudimentary documentation:

http://rapidshare.com/files/54946549/Do ... 9.2007.rar

In case other ppl. download that, too:

Don't COMPLAIN that certain things r missing in the PDF file. As I said, I only mentioned SOME aspects of DosBox. Many things are still missing. IF you wanna contribute to this manual, feel free to contact me. In case you want to write sth. about a special aspect of DosBox or a part of a manual, do so and I'll certainly add it with reference to the author of course.

The password for the rar file AND for the PDF document is "Murdock".
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

scatola wrote: Is possible fix this in a new version or is a PSP kernel problem?
It's a PSP kernel problem, only ~9 files can be open on the memory stick at once.
scatola

Post by scatola »

Murdock I AM ITALIAN SO IF YOU SEE THAT MY ENGLISH IS IMPERFECT, THIS EXPLAINS WHY I WRITE NOT SO GOOD. IS NOT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND.
I DON'T WRITE BAD ON PURPOSE.

without used pandora= Used clear memory stick.

Thanks CrazyC to answer my question :)
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

scatola wrote:Murdock I AM ITALIAN SO IF YOU SEE THAT MY ENGLISH IS IMPERFECT, THIS EXPLAINS WHY I WRITE NOT SO GOOD. IS NOT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND.
I DON'T WRITE BAD ON PURPOSE.

without used pandora= Used clear memory stick.

Thanks CrazyC to answer my question :)
I wasn't making fun of you or anything like that, but I didn'T understand a single word you wrote. And obviously, ImBack! didn'T either. So u needn'T write in CAPITAL letters, just because no1 understands u.

I'm no Englishman, either. Nor am I an American. I certainly make mistakes, too. But I think one can at least try to describe the problem as best as possible. And since u hardly made any mistakes SHOUTING at me, I think u could have done better in ur previous post, too.

Anyway. Your problem seens solved now or at least u have an answer. I still can only guess what ur problem is. From what CrazyC wrote, I think u've tried to load DosBox somehoe using Pandora. But I don't know how to do that, since i haven't dealt with Pandora yet, because I'll use it not until I get a PSP Slim OR my good old PSP1000 has some serious trouble ...

However, I wish u that u can solve your problem.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote: I think u've tried to load DosBox somehoe using Pandora.
No, it was just an off topic reference to a discussion in another thread. Pandora is not the cause of his problem.
scatola

Post by scatola »

Well Murdock, you are the one that can't understand me, i am in another english forums and all understand me. I have sayed that i used pandora to restore my psp because i load dosbox and other homebrews normally, i have the 3.52 M33 fat psp. and i'm waiting for 3.70 m33.
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

murdock: easy, you dont want to start a flame war. :)
sorry for spelling!
Jim

Post by Jim »

It's a PSP kernel problem, only ~9 files can be open on the memory stick at once.
Might it be possible, when the file handles begin to dry up, to cache some of the whole files in memory and read/write them there? It might be sufficient just to see what Windows is requiring on boot up and hard code something.

Jim
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

scatola wrote:Well Murdock, you are the one that can't understand me,i am in another english forums and all understand me.
Just a DUMB claim 'cause I wasn'T the only one NOT getting your point ...

As I said, this silly discussion is OVER for me, so stop going on my nerves ... PERIOD!
scatola wrote:I have sayed that i used pandora to restore my psp because i load dosbox and other homebrews normally,
ehm .. surely NOT ... u definately did NOT say that ... if u don't wanna believe me, look at ur very own post.

IM back! wrote:murdock: easy, you dont want to start a flame war. :)
I am as easy as ever ... I just don'T like ppl. talking about things OVER AND OVER again ... which I believed scalota does,since I didn't understand him (u didn'T either, I suppose) ... so verything is fine ...
Jim wrote:Might it be possible, when the file handles begin to dry up, to cache some of the whole files in memory and read/write them there? It might be sufficient just to see what Windows is requiring on boot up and hard code something.
Thx for coming back to topic and hopefully ending this soap opera ... ;)
scatola

Post by scatola »

Haha murdock you are funny, i don't talk anymore with you :)
paco.

Post by paco. »

Hello Crazyc, I want that you know that the windows:3.0,3.1 and 3.11 work in your dosbox, but the icons of the menu are not seen. Can you solve this?There are more than 100 persons been interested in this.

Thank you very much for your work!!!
Bye Crazyc!
narrus

Post by narrus »

Wally4000 wrote:Which you will pass to me for spelling and punctuation checking wont you :-) i actually did a readme a while back but i have to find it
Is it just me or does anyone else find it hilarious that the person asking to do the punctuation and spell checking doesn't use either properly? :)

(not actually harping on you, since there is enough tension in this thread lately, it's just funny)
Wally

Post by Wally »

narrus wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:Which you will pass to me for spelling and punctuation checking wont you :-) i actually did a readme a while back but i have to find it
Is it just me or does anyone else find it hilarious that the person asking to do the punctuation and spell checking doesn't use either properly? :)

(not actually harping on you, since there is enough tension in this thread lately, it's just funny)
:P yeah, TBH i was on a mobile phone @ the time so I couldnt help it
mypspdev

Post by mypspdev »

paco. wrote:Hello Crazyc, I want that you know that the windows:3.0,3.1 and 3.11 work in your dosbox, but the icons of the menu are not seen. Can you solve this?There are more than 100 persons been interested in this.

Thank you very much for your work!!!
Bye Crazyc!
May be ....
Have a look at progman.ini in c:\windows.
It's listing paths of *.GRP .
It could depend on how c you mounted in dosebox which is not coherent with these paths.
Pay attention to all these windoz paths. Do not change them, better adapt c drive mount to them.
mypspdev

IR Keyboard Function Keys: Targus UWK

Post by mypspdev »

J.F. wrote:If you come up with a targus keymap that works well, post it back here so it can be added to the pspirkeyb lib.
TARGUS Universal Wireless Keyboard
Function Keys mapping

F1 Fn+O
F2 Fn+X
F3 Fn+Z
F4 Fn+\
F5 Fn+]
F6
F7
F8
F9
F10 Fn+T
F11
F12

To be continued.

Thanks, Hope I understood what J.F. asked for.
Highsight

Post by Highsight »

Hi CrazyC, I just wanted to say, I LOVE this emulator. I actually bought a TARGUS Keyboard just to use it (came in today ^_^). However, I can confirm what the others are saying, there is definatly a keyboard lag with the TARGUS. :/ It seems like it accepts every different key input about a second inbetween each other. Is there any chance you will be able to fix this?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Highsight wrote:Hi CrazyC, I just wanted to say, I LOVE this emulator. I actually bought a TARGUS Keyboard just to use it (came in today ^_^). However, I can confirm what the others are saying, there is definatly a keyboard lag with the TARGUS. :/ It seems like it accepts every different key input about a second inbetween each other. Is there any chance you will be able to fix this?
I have no idea what could be wrong. My keyboard works fine (a belkin) and JF says his works fine (a palm). I don't see in libpspkeyb what is different about the Targus driver that could cause this problem.
Highsight

Post by Highsight »

Well, it may just be the precompiled version I got (I couldn't compile it myself, stupid me XD). Because I noticed something else that was weird. The buttons on the PSP sometimes doesn't correspond with the emulator, I may have to even press it twice before something happens. Is that normal?
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

Unofficial DOSBox PSP Readme

1. The Basics
1.1 What you need
1.2 Were to get and how to install
1.3 Mounting
1.4 input
1.5 Running your games

2. The DosBox configuration

3. Windows 3.1
3.1 Installing
3.2 Running
3.3 Installing apps

4. FAQ

5. Credits

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. The Basics

1.1 What you need:
A homebrew capable PSP (1.0 - 1.5 / Custom Firmware (OE / M33)
PC / Mac

1.1.1 Where to get and how to install:

1.1.2 Download DOSBox PSP and the dosbox config from the first post in this thread: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=57641

Use elf2pbp (get it here: http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/elftopbp.shtml (Here for Mac version www.spiffup.org/elf2pbp.zip) to make a eboot.) (SeiPSPtool for PC is an easier alternative for those who are not comfortable with commands. File Assistant or IRShell (Rename elf to eboot.pbp) can be used however Wally found that IRShell didnt always work the way he wanted

1.1.3 Put the resulting eboot (from either method) and the dosbox config into your PSP/GAME150 folder (or PSP/game if your still on 1.50) enjoy. (or not)

1.3 Mounting

1.3.1 Basically MOUNT allows you to connect the PSP's hardware to DOSBox's emulated PC. So MOUNT C ms0:\dos tells DosBox to use your ms0:\dos directory as drive C: in DOSBox. It also allows you to change the drive's letter identification for programs that demand specific drive letters. IMGmount allows you to connect images to the emulated PC

For Example: Touche: Adventures of The Fifth Musketeer must be run from C:. Using DOSBox and its mount command, you can trick the game into believing it is on the C drive. For example, if the game is in ms0:\OLDGAMES\TOUCHE, the command MOUNT C ms0:\OLDGAMES\TOUCHE
will allow you to run Touche from ms0.

1.3.2 Mount Examples:
To mount ms0:\cdrom as a cdrom :
mount a ms0:\cdrom-t floppy

To mount ms0:\dos as drive C in DOSBox:
mount c ms0:\dos

To mount an iso image:
imgmount e ms0:\myiso.iso -t iso

To mount a hard disk image:
imgmount f ms0:\myiso.ima

1.4 Input

1.4.1 The PSprint Diagram as seen @ http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/ ... _black.gif shows the button presses / corresponding letters. To change between Alphabetical, Numerical or Special input press L Trigger + Down + X at the same time.

1.4.2 The nub acts as a Mouse and the L and R Triggers are left and right buttons respectively. To switch between a Mouse & a Joystick press L Trigger + R Trigger + Down + Start at the same time.

1.4.3 IR Keyboards are supported by DOSBox however some may lag due to the driver used. crazyc uses belkin branded keyboards and he says he has no problems.

1.4.4 You can define key maps in DosBox by typing INPUTMAP pspbutton keystroke and then runing the game with INPUTMAP exec game.exe
for example if I want to run QFG3 with dpad as the arrow keys on the keyboard and X as enter and [] as alt this would be in my dosbox.conf:

Mount c Ms0:\dos
C:\
cd keen4
INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP cross enter
INPUTMAP square alt
INPUTMAP exec QFG3

Below shows what each PSP button is when its mapped.

dpad up = up
dpad down = down
dpad left = left
dpad right = right
square = square
cross = cross
triangle = triangle
square = square
left trigger = ltrigger
right trigger = rtrigger
select = select
start = start

All of the computer keys make logical sense I.E. a = a, enter = enter, space = space however to map a numpad key add num_ in front so num_9 = Numpad key 9. You would be surprised how many games use the numpad.

1.5 Running your games

1.5.1 Put your games into a folder on your memorystick and mount that folder. cd to the sub folder with the game in it and type the name of the executable. (Not recommended if you don't have an IR keyboard)

1.5.2 Put your games into a folder on your memory stick, its easier to stick to the root directory that way we dont get confused, then mount that folder as shown earlier section 1.3 alas Dos Navigator (http://www.ritlabs.com/download/dn/dn151.zip) gives you more freedom but you still have to make bat files for each game.

Add this section to your [autoexec] section in the dosbox.conf file. You may have to change drive letters if you are using windows 3.xx
mount C ms0:/psp/dos
C:
cd dn151
dn.com)

2. DosBox configuration

2.1.1 read the comments in the config file it tells you most of what you need to know about the config my DosBox config looks like this:

Open up your dosbox.conf file in notepad and check out the settings.

There are a few things we should know about.
sensitivity=40 - Will set your mouse sensitivity up / down, the higher the quicker the mouse flys.

memsize=10 -- By default this is 4, however the PSP can go up to 10MB of Ram with dosbox (Slim Pending)

[render]
# frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.
# aspect -- Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# Supported are none,normal2x,normal3x,advmame2x,advmame3x,hq2x,hq3x,
# 2xsai,super2xsai,supereagle,advinterp2x,advinterp3x,
# tv2x,tv3x,rgb2x,rgb3x,scan2x,scan3x.

frameskip=4 -- The higher this is the faster however if its too high it will jump too much and possibly cause dosbox to crash.

nosound=true -- Leave sound on, its not going to affect your game play as its in the ME

This section below will allow you to execute stuff when you first open DOSBox. Below is an example of having more than one drive. A:\ mounts Simcity, C:\ mounts windows 3.1, E:\ Mounts the directory dos.

SYSOPT clock 333 - The speed of the PSP, 333 is the max however the battery will guzzle itself down if its left on, its probably best to use it for games that need it.

[autoexec]
SYSOPT clock 333
mount E ms0:/psp/dos
mount a ms0:/psp/dos/simc
imgmount c ms0:/psp/dos/win.iso -t iso
c:\
cd windows

3. Windows 3.1

3.1 Installing

3.1.1 If you have a copy of windows 3.x and want to install it on your PSP, first get a copy of DOSBox for LINUX or Windows or Mac from http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

3.1.2 once you have installed DosBox pc copy the continence of your windows floppy to a folder on your harddrie (yes i mean dumping all the files together).

3.1.3 Now mount that directory as A: and mount another directory on you hard drive as C: ( it is VERY IMPORTANT that you mount this as C:! It ts also IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT MOUNT YOUR ACSHUAL C: DRIVE THIS WILL DISTROY YOUR MAIN WINDOWS INSTALL!)

3.1.4 Run Setup.exe to install Windows 3.x

<Added by Wally>
HINT: To make install quick, boost the CPU Cycles of the emulator to at least 15000 by either pressing (Control F12 (PC), Command F12 (MAC)) pressing F8 will take the emulator down in cycles.

Make sure your Windows setup is like this:
Display : VGA (3.0)
Keyboard: Enhanced 101 or 102 key US and Non US
Mouse: Microsoft, or IBM PS/2

3.2 Running Windows 3.11

3.2.1 The PSP kernel has an limit of 10 files that can be opened simultaneously, Windows needs to be run from an Disk Image (ISO / IMG file) . However IMG files may freeze.

3.2.2 Create a CD image (ISO), using either:

Windows - Magic ISO (http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm)
Mac - Lucky you, Disk Utility can make them right out of the box :)

Its important to have the WHOLE windows directory (including the folder), inside the ISO otherwise it wont work)

3.2.3 Put the ISO onto your PSP,
add this line to dosbox.conf under the [autoexec] section (If anything else is set as c, change it to another letter.
imgmount c ms0:\isoname.iso -t iso
c:\
cd windows
win

3.2.4 Run dosbox and check if windows 3.xx works :)

3.3 installing apps

3.3.1 because ISO cant be edit it within DosBox you cant install apps in widows with dosbox psp so your going to need to install the apps on dosbox PC and copy all the files on your iso.

3.3.1 If you wish to install additional windows 3.11 apps, create another mount with all your applications and access them through file manager.

4. FAQ

Q: How do I make a hard disk image?
A: Use bximage.exe a utility that comes withe bochs. Get bochs here: http://bochs.sourceforge.net/getcurrent.html or use Disk Utility on Mac OS X

Q: How do I make a iso?
A: Use magic iso which is avaliable here: http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm or use disk utlity on Mac OS X

Q: help my game doesn't start! what now?
A: try running it from a iso or hard disk image. and make sure you have memsize set to 10 in the dosbox config.

Q: help I can't control my game! What now!
A: look at section 1.4.

Q: My targus keyboard lags!
A: this is a known problem, many people have it but there's no fix at the moment.

Q: My games are slow!
A: try putting the cpu cycles to auto, and run DOSBox in 333mhz by putting this: SYSOPT clock 333 into the autoexec section in your dosbox config file

Q: Where do I find games?
A: www.dosgames.com / www.dosgamesarchive.com - Great places to find Classics, People in the forums are willing to help you find that game you have been 'looking for' or 'Can't remember what its called'. Wally is a Moderator there.

5. Credits:

IM back! for writing the Readme.

the Dosbox team: for creation a grate emu!

crazyc: for porting DosBox!

Wally - Doing some fine tuning to the Readme.
this is only a start ill still be working on it, if you want to contribute make a FAQ section. ( oh and it looks kinda odd here that because i wrote it in Kwrite and it came out funny when i copped it. ps2 dev dosnt seem to handle tab at all.)
Last edited by IM back! on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 am, edited 17 times in total.
sorry for spelling!
mypspdev

Post by mypspdev »

Thanks very much for your readme!
Very clear, well structured and finally usefull.
May be there are already hundreds of similar questions all around the psp-web sites, I'm sorry to add here mine stupid:
what about to have DOSBOX on PSP in our pocket running under 3.60 kernel on S&L?
Which are the basic issues which are not allowing to port from 1.50 to 3.xx?
Of course twice the amount of RAM is attractive
Thanks
adtbm

Post by adtbm »

Hello Im Back! !!!

great TUT !! I hope it's ok if i add two comments:

only thing i would like to add is: after point1.2.1 to check for a new Conf. file from CrazyC as well and implement the changes to your own accordingly.

and also implement the Dos Navigator since it really helps (That's just my opinion)

But apart from it great work !!!

and of course all the Honour to CrazyC for this great piece of homebrew
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

adtbm wrote: only thing i would like to add is: after point1.2.1 to check for a new Conf. file from CrazyC as well and implement the changes to your own accordingly.

and also implement the Dos Navigator since it really helps (That's just my opinion)

and of course all the Honour to CrazyC for this great piece of homebrew
ill add a dos navigator and the config.

(i just started on a faq, what do you ppl whant to see in there?)

EDIT: added section 1.5 running your game with section 1.5.2 dedicated to dos navigator.

EDIT2: added more FAQS to the readme.
sorry for spelling!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Anyone with a targus keyboard have any problems in other apps?
Of course twice the amount of RAM is attractive
Wouldn't help until someone figures out how to unlock the extra RAM.
Highsight

Post by Highsight »

Actually, CrazyC, I just tried the PDA PSP app. I found the keyboard lags JUST as bad. However, it looks like any app that utilizes the piKey plugin has no lag whatsoever. (like AFKIM) Is a future utilization of the piKey plugin possible?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Highsight wrote:Actually, CrazyC, I just tried the PDA PSP app. I found the keyboard lags JUST as bad. However, it looks like any app that utilizes the piKey plugin has no lag whatsoever. (like AFKIM) Is a future utilization of the piKey plugin possible?
I've got a targus coming in the mail. I'll fix up anything wrong in the driver when I get it, and probably make a nice keymap like I did for the Palm.
Wally

Post by Wally »

after basilisk 2 right :P