3.XX programming, whats the difference?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Aura

3.XX programming, whats the difference?

Post by Aura »

Hi, I was wondering what the difference was between programming for the 1.50 kernel, and the 3.XX kernels?

I've been working on an app that I want to port to the PSP Slim, but it obviously doesn't work on the 3.XX kernel, but I've found very little documentation on what needs to be done in order to get an app to the newer firmwares.

I will require kernel access in some cases, and I was wondering if this is accieved by loading an external .prx in kernel mode, or if its something more elaborate?

Finally, when trying to load some apps in the 3.XX kernel I recieve a 0x8002013c error (SCE_KERNEL_ERROR_LIBRARY_NOTFOUND), and was wondering if this is an error that is likely to occur because of the code, or an issue with my PSP?

Thanks.
-Aura
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Do you honestly honestly need kernel access? If you really do they the main thing to bear in mind is you really should separate the kernel specific bits into a separate module which a user mode component can call.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Look at it this way - over half of all the complaints in 1.50 software is in how to set up a USER thread to access the net libs because you can't get WPA (or is it WAP... I can never remember this acronym) from the kernel net libs. So most of the GOOD 1.50 apps start in kernel mode, but immediately launch a user thread that takes over the running of the application. So just toss that and start in user mode to begin with. Check some of the recent threads - there's a number of 3.xx examples in them.
Aura

Post by Aura »

TyRaNiD wrote:Do you honestly honestly need kernel access? If you really do they the main thing to bear in mind is you really should separate the kernel specific bits into a separate module which a user mode component can call.
I assume I need to use kernel mode, seeing as I need direct read/write access to flash, among other things.

How would a user mode component call the module? Would it be the same idea as loading a normal module, or would I have to do something different?

Thanks again.
-Aura
sakya

Post by sakya »

Hi! :)
Aura wrote:How would a user mode component call the module? Would it be the same idea as loading a normal module, or would I have to do something different?
If you need kernel functions just put them in a kernel mode prx.
From your user mode app load the module and use its functions.

Here:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9022

there's a thread with an example of what I'm saying. ;)

Ciaooo
Sakya
Aura

Post by Aura »

sakya wrote:Hi! :)
Aura wrote:How would a user mode component call the module? Would it be the same idea as loading a normal module, or would I have to do something different?
If you need kernel functions just put them in a kernel mode prx.
From your user mode app load the module and use its functions.

Here:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9022

there's a thread with an example of what I'm saying. ;)

Ciaooo
Sakya
Ah thanks, thats more than enough to get me up and running! Should definatly have the kernel stuff loading soon :D

-Aura
Hellcat

Post by Hellcat »

It's a bit picky, that 3.xx kernel.

Don't forget NOT to use any usermode (only) functions in your kernel .PRX, since doing that will result in 0x8002013C when loading the module....