dosbox

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

fenrir911

Post by fenrir911 »

you have to put it in game150
hope this helped :)
nbcooler

Post by nbcooler »

fenrir911 wrote:you have to put it in game150
hope this helped :)
Thx. for u help

i will try it tomorrow
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

To the person who installed Windows 3.1 on DOSBox. Just wondering how you did this, and please describe to me the performance of running apps under Windows 3.1.

Will I be able to run Borland C++ 4.5 (windows 3.1 app) and build programs?

Cheers.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

andrewwan1980 wrote:To the person who installed Windows 3.1 on DOSBox. Just wondering how you did this, and please describe to me the performance of running apps under Windows 3.1.

Will I be able to run Borland C++ 4.5 (windows 3.1 app) and build programs?

Cheers.
Oh come on!

If you had read my reply to ur PREVIOUS POST (which you obviously did NOT do!), u had seen that I listed the entire content of the latest Version of my manual for DosBox, whcih includes a chapter on how to get Windows 3.11 running on the PSP.

To your final question: I can't tell since I first of all do not know the system requirements of this software and secondly I do not know whether there is enough free RAm after Windows 3.11 is loaded. For example Winword 6.0 does NOT run if no swap file is set up since the remaining RAM is not sufficient.

[EDIT]: There is actually a newer version of the manual, since I have spend another few hours on it. The recent version is 1.7, but I will release it in the next few days, since I want to re-read it and get some more spelling errors out :)

[EDIT#2]: LAtest release online, version 1.8: http://rapidshare.com/files/64776876/Do ... ck_1.8.pdf

I have entirely rewritten chapter 6.c ... the manual on how to install Windows 3.11 without any errors and the possibility to write to the image. Now you can also write/save from Windows 3.11 itself! No more errors!!!
detonyle

Post by detonyle »

Hello,

I just install dosbox on my PSP but I think it's a old version :(
I launch a game 'prince of persia' but in game I can't Move :(

Someone can help me?

Thanks ;)

Edit: I create a prince.bat:
@ECHO OFF
INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP triangle d
INPUTMAP square lshift
INPUTMAP cross lctrl
INPUTMAP circle lalt
INPUTMAP start enter
INPUTMAP select esc
INPUTMAP exec prince
But in game just start and select working! I make a mistake?
HarryWgy

Post by HarryWgy »

How time to get PSP2000 Version DosBox
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

detonyle wrote:Hello,

I just install dosbox on my PSP but I think it's a old version :(
I launch a game 'prince of persia' but in game I can't Move :(

Someone can help me?

Thanks ;)

Well, I can help you ... read my manual, in the FAQ right at the beginning, there is a list of games running. There is Prince of Persia mentioned and the fact that you have to use the joystick option of Dosbox. This is also described in the manual, in the section with the "secret" key combos. Just look there and you'll be able to play PoP 1 :)

[EDIT] if you are unsure about what version of Dosbox you are using, take the one you can find in my sig. (right below these sentences). It's the newest and probably the most easy to use.
Last edited by Murdock on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

HarryWgy wrote:How time to get PSP2000 Version DosBox
I do not exactly know what your sentence means, but if you want to know when a 100 % PSP Slim compatible version of Dosbox will come out, then the answer is "we do not know". CrazyC has not much interest in supporting the additional RAM of the PSP as far as I understood him. Just because for the fact that the 10 MB we can use atm are sufficient because the PSP can not run PC games requiring much more than 33 MHz CPU speed.

Anyway, this is also explained in the manual, READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUt on a previous page, there was mentioned that Dosbox can actually run on the PSP SLim, I think. Since I have none, I didn't pay attention to it, but you might use this information to get it running. If you can't, then you'll probably have to wait until CrazyC really makes a version that 100 % supports the new PSP.
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

I think you mean 333 mhz, than 33 mhz. On 33 mhz even Duke Nukem 1 wouldn't run fine :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

HarryWgy wrote:How time to get PSP2000 Version DosBox
When Crazyc Supports PSP-2000 (AKA Slim for people like Mad Howling Murdock ;) ) Im sure we'd know
freejack811

Post by freejack811 »

Murdock wrote: BUt on a previous page, there was mentioned that Dosbox can actually run on the PSP SLim, I think. Since I have none, I didn't pay attention to it, but you might use this information to get it running. If you can't, then you'll probably have to wait until CrazyC really makes a version that 100 % supports the new PSP.
I want to get it running on my slim psp. But I can't find the information in all previous pages. Can you tell me where it is or quote it for me? TKS
raulpica

Post by raulpica »

freejack811 wrote:
Murdock wrote: BUt on a previous page, there was mentioned that Dosbox can actually run on the PSP SLim, I think. Since I have none, I didn't pay attention to it, but you might use this information to get it running. If you can't, then you'll probably have to wait until CrazyC really makes a version that 100 % supports the new PSP.
I want to get it running on my slim psp. But I can't find the information in all previous pages. Can you tell me where it is or quote it for me? TKS
I don't think it really works, after all I think it uses alot of kernel mode instructions... You have to wait for crazyc to make a new version.

Also, really no need for more RAM, what we need is more CPU, and we don't have that ;)
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

W00fer wrote:I think you mean 333 mhz, than 33 mhz. On 33 mhz even Duke Nukem 1 wouldn't run fine :)
I doubt I meant 333 MHz ... ROFL ... yeah, show me an emulator that is able to emulate a system that has the same CPU speed than the system the emulator runs on ... D'OH! *knocking head on wall*

As I said, READ THE F...... FRIENDLY WRITTEN MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's explained there. I don't get it. I mean I'm a guy, too and I don't like to read manuals, either! But if I have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE about a program or a kitchen machine that I bought (the last one is more likely ;) ) I get the fuckin manual out of the trash can again and have a look at it!
freejack811 wrote:But I can't find the information in all previous pages. Can you tell me where it is or quote it for me? TKS
I think, or to be precise, I am 99 % sure I have read about this debate on previous pages and I am also pretty sure that crazyC said somewhere that one can compile the elf file on the first page with a dev kit to run on SPSP-2000 aka Slim. But I am not ENTIRELY sure, don't pin me down on that.
I won't quote it here, since I am really tired of rereading this thread over and over again to sort out stuff for other users. I am not the social welfare, nor a very friendly person :D Therefore my advice: GO SEARCH URSELF!
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Hello!

Just tried to run Battle Isle 2 and received the following error:

Exit to error: DynarecCore: illegal option in dyn_grp4_ev

I don't know whether it's a major one, but maybe you can fix it in the next release :)
roylazarovich

Post by roylazarovich »

I've posted here in the past asking if the Slim's extra RAM would come in handy, and CrazyC replied saying "Won't know until it's released and if someone can get homebrew running on it."

So since he doesn't dismiss the possibility, I hope that means there might be a slight chance that it would be beneficial, even if only for a small percent of games.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

roylazarovich wrote:I've posted here in the past asking if the Slim's extra RAM would come in handy, and CrazyC replied saying "Won't know until it's released and if someone can get homebrew running on it."

So since he doesn't dismiss the possibility, I hope that means there might be a slight chance that it would be beneficial, even if only for a small percent of games.
Well, from a realistic point of view, it is VERY VERY unlikely that the extra 32 MB RAm will be useful. Just think about it, or grab some old games and compare system requirements:

1. At the moment, games which need more than 25 to 35 MHz run not at full speed ... PERIOD ... these games seldomly require even more than 4 MB RAM. But we can use 10 MB, more than the double amount.

2. games which need 16 MB RAM generally need more than 66 MHz CPU speed. Crazy said here in the forum that running games in Dosbox which need more than that might be possible, but those won't run even NEAR full speed. Well, at least he said that he's pretty sure to be unable to double the speed of the emulator.

3. The only benefit could have apps in Windows 3.11 ... since they need much RAM. For example Word 6.0 doesn't run atm without a swap file, because it has insufficient RAM. But come on, with a swap file it worx (I suppose) and since the emulation speed is not very fast, because DosBox has to emulate DOS, run Windows AND run Word 6.0, A swap file does hardly mean any slow-down of the emulation. It just can't get any slower :) Because Dosbox is just a little overstrained with that much work! It's just not made for this, but for playing DOS games!

Therefore I hold any further discussion about the possible benefit of the Slim's more RAM for nonsense, since we still have another, much more important problem.

So how about just reporting Dosbox errors here and discussing problems about running apps/games, instead of philosophizing about this stuff?
roylazarovich

Post by roylazarovich »

You might be right, still I'd be extremely happy when my Slim is happily running DosBox, I'll keep watching this topic and pray :)
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

It be nice if CrazyC helped us and put Murdock's latest links on the first main post.
whiteland

Post by whiteland »

The dynamic model is really awesome. It's fast to choose dynamic model to run a dos game. In the game, when I press esc to call for the game option menu, the screen changes into dark and each option turns up very slow. If I only change into auto model, the speed is not as fast as dynamic, but call for the option menu is normal. Could anyone tell me how to config cpu in dosbox for psp.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

whiteland wrote:The dynamic model is really awesome. It's fast to choose dynamic model to run a dos game. In the game, when I press esc to call for the game option menu, the screen changes into dark and each option turns up very slow. If I only change into auto model, the speed is not as fast as dynamic, but call for the option menu is normal. Could anyone tell me how to config cpu in dosbox for psp.
Could u please explain what u mean with "dynamic model"? Do ya mean the option in the dosbox.conf? If yes, have a look at the respective "normal" dosbox forums, there is everything explained, I suppose.
x-motra

Post by x-motra »

In Discworld the sound works good but sometimes it randomly crash..I mean bgm still play but sound effect and speach disappear...
also sometimes when this happen the game crash totally..
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

LONGEST DOSBOX PSP AUTOEXEC EVER!!!!

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
INPUTMAP triangle 4
INPUTMAP square 3
INPUTMAP cross 2
INPUTMAP circle 1 
ECHO.
ECHO Button Config
ECHO -------------
ECHO (circle) APOGEE GAME
ECHO (cross) JILL OF THE JUNGLE
ECHO (square) HURKLE
CHOICE /N /C:123 CHOOSE A BUTTON (circle, cross, or square)%1
IF ERRORLEVEL ==3 GOTO HURKLE
IF ERRORLEVEL ==2 GOTO JILL
IF ERRORLEVEL ==1 GOTO APOGEE
GOTO END
:HURKLE
INPUTMAP cross enter
INPUTMAP circle esc
INPUTMAP select y
INPUTMAP start n
GOTO END
:JILL
INPUTMAP triangle r
INPUTMAP square s
INPUTMAP cross rshift 
INPUTMAP circle lalt 
INPUTMAP start enter
INPUTMAP select f1
GOTO END
:APOGEE
INPUTMAP triangle f1
INPUTMAP square enter
INPUTMAP cross lctrl 
INPUTMAP circle lalt 
INPUTMAP start r 
INPUTMAP select s
INPUTMAP rtrigger 1
:END
INPUTMAP up up 
INPUTMAP right right 
INPUTMAP down down 
INPUTMAP left left
SYSOPT clock 333 
mount c: ms0:/dos/ 
c: 
dosshell.exe
Allows me to choose what button setup I'll be using with dosbox.
Wally

Post by Wally »

very nice!

Should save a bit of time..

Maybe you should have a general config. Most dosgames use the same keys anyway..

Wally
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Wally4000 wrote:very nice!

Should save a bit of time..

Maybe you should have a general config. Most dosgames use the same keys anyway..

Wally
I did it that way because I couldn't make just one config for all of the games, though I think I may need separate button setups for "keen dreams" and "catacomb" as well since I can have up to 12 different setups.

This build of dosbox is brilliant, works perfectly for me, well done crazyc.

Is there a way to have dosbox start in custom buttons mode instead of p-sprint keyboard mode so that I don't have to press ltrigger+rtrigger+select+down every time I start dosbox?
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

I hope CrazyC is still alive and has a bit free time to fix the BUS error's found in Discworld and GTA 1 that we provided.

Also the Dynarec_CORE error is a great one too.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

W00fer wrote:I hope CrazyC is still alive and has a bit free time to fix the BUS error's found in Discworld and GTA 1 that we provided.

well ... u know that GTA has system requirements that are comparably high for a DOS game ... therefore, it seems very unreal that this game will ever run at an even half-acceptable speed on the PSP ... anyway ... U have the PSX emulator. GTA (I think GTA2) is available for PSX ... play this one ... no lags, good speed, pretty much the same as the computer version.

W00fer wrote:I hope CrazyC is still alive and has a bit free time to fix the BUS error's found in Discworld and GTA 1 that we provided.

LOL read what he wrote above, when I asked what he's doing atm ... then you should know that we should not expect an update within the next few days/weeks :( BUt he hasn't forgot us and DosBox :) he's just busy with his life ...
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

andwhyisit wrote:LONGEST DOSBOX PSP AUTOEXEC EVER!!!!

CHOICE /N /C:123 CHOOSE A BUTTON (circle, cross, or square)%1
IF ERRORLEVEL ==3 GOTO HURKLE
IF ERRORLEVEL ==2 GOTO JILL
IF ERRORLEVEL ==1 GOTO APOGEE
GOTO END
Allows me to choose what button setup I'll be using with dosbox.
Your lines are very very usefull ... THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :)

I was looking for the commands needed to set up such a question thing to choose before DosBox starts what I want to load.

Now I can choose whether I want to do a "normal" DOS emulation, mounting a folder as drive c:\ or mount writable images, emulating a more complex DOS environment running Windows 3.11 w/o any problems :D This si AWESOME.

Here are my lines:

@ECHO OFF

INPUTMAP triangle 4
INPUTMAP square 3
INPUTMAP cross 2
INPUTMAP circle 1 

CLS #Empties the Screen

ECHO  _________________________________________________
ECHO I                                                 I
ECHO I Choose a System:                                I
ECHO I ----------------                                I
ECHO I (CROSS)  Pure DOS Emulation                     I
ECHO I (SQUARE) Windows 3.11 IMAGE                     I
ECHO I IMPORTANT: Press ...                            I
ECHO I                  R-Shoulder + L-Shoulder +      I
ECHO I                    SELECT   + DOWN-Arrow        I
ECHO I            ... before you make a choice!        I
ECHO I_________________________________________________I
CHOICE /N /C:123 I What is your Choice? (CIRCLE, CROSS, or SQUARE) I%1
IF ERRORLEVEL ==3 GOTO WIN
IF ERRORLEVEL ==2 GOTO DOS

:WIN

CLS

#LOAD OF THE IMAGES OF DRIVES C:\ AND D:\
imgmount c ms0:/c.img -size 512,63,16,111 -fs fat
imgmount d ms0:/d.img -size 512,63,16,304 -fs fat
boot -l c

INPUTMAP up up 
INPUTMAP right right 
INPUTMAP down down 
INPUTMAP left left 
INPUTMAP triangle d 
INPUTMAP square lshift
INPUTMAP cross lctrl
INPUTMAP circle lalt
SYSOPT clock 333

# Windows 3.11 Autostart
c:
cd windows
win.com

GOTO END

:DOS

CLS

INPUTMAP up up 
INPUTMAP right right 
INPUTMAP down down 
INPUTMAP left left 
INPUTMAP triangle d 
INPUTMAP square lshift
INPUTMAP cross lctrl
INPUTMAP circle lalt

#LOAD OF IMAGE(S) OF DRIVE(S) C:\
mount c ms0:/dosbox

# Dos Navigator 1.51 Autostart
c:
cd dn151
dn.com

GOTO END

:END
I added some comments ... should make it easy for u guys to figure out what I did :D ...

If you want to, I can upload an entire DOsBox release with hard drive images, including a drive c:\ with installed Win 3.11 (WITHOUT a serial, this MUST be inserted by u, using your roiginal, legally owned Windows 3.11 key ...) and Dos Navigator.

As you can see in he lines, I have another hard drive image d:\ with all my good old DOS games :D this won't be included in the pack (for legal reasons and because most of them are backups of my original games :)
IM back!

Post by IM back! »

dosent Gta even need a 3d card? or is that gta 2?
sorry for spelling!
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

IM back! wrote:dosent Gta even need a 3d card? or is that gta 2?
I guess that's GTA2 ... It doesn't NEED a 3d accelerator, but it supports them. GTA2 needs DirectX ...
W00fer

Post by W00fer »

GTA 1 doesn't work on the PSX emu on PSP.

And GTA 2 isnt that fun. GTA 1 is better.