Memor32 & MementoFW_11

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

User?

Memor32 & MementoFW_11

Post by User? »

I dont know if anyone cares, but here it is.

Delete if needed.

Memento firmware dump = 160mb?
file system,

BAEXEC-SYSTEM\ = 80mb
osd110.elf
osd120.elf
osd130.elf
osd140.elf
osd150.elf
osd160.elf
osd170.elf
osd180.elf
osd190.elf
osdmain.elf
ICON.ICN
icon.sys

BEEXEC-SYSTEM\ = 80mb
osd110.elf
osd120.elf
osd130.elf
osd140.elf
osd150.elf
osd160.elf
osd170.elf
osd180.elf
osd190.elf
osdmain.elf
ICON.ICN
icon.sys

MEMENTO\ = 33kb
MEMENTO.BIN
ICON.ICN
icon.sys

Im a fool when it comes to hardware.

Could someone explain how 160mb will fit on a 32mb card?

or is it not really 32mb?
weltall

Post by weltall »

or they corrupt the file system on purpose...
dlanor

Post by dlanor »

weltall wrote:or they corrupt the file system on purpose...
In fact that may well be the key to how it's done, through intentional filesystem corruption of a very specific kind.

Note how each folder of 80mb contains exactly 10 elf files
(in addition to the standard "icon.sys" and its associated icon file)

This hints at the possibility that each of those 20 elf files may in fact be one and the same file, with 10 duplicate (though differently named) directory entries in each of the two special folders. (One each for US and Europe regions)

So instead of 160 mb the total storage space will only be 8mb, since in fact only one elf file has been stored, though that file has a grand total of 20 different directory entries.

Owners of such cards should be able to verify this theory in three different ways.

1: Checking that the precise file size of each of the 20 elfs is identical.
2: Dumping the file contents to other media and comparing the files with a PC program.
3: Checking that a card containing only this firmware has appx 24mb free.

None of the above constitutes definite proof of my theory, but each of those verifications strengthens its validity.

Definite proof would require dumping the entire raw filesystem, and analyzing the directory structures in detail.

Best regards: dlanor
User?

Post by User? »

dlanor wrote:1: Checking that the precise file size of each of the 20 elfs is identical.
2: Dumping the file contents to other media and comparing the files with a PC program.
3: Checking that a card containing only this firmware has appx 24mb free.
From what have seen I think all of the above statements are true.

It is dumped to the hdd on my exploited chubby & was on my ms of the psp, but but when DAX updated M33 today i erased it (not thinking clearly). It took a long time to transfer but i will do it again. :)

Edit: Well the 10 in the ntsc folder are identical & the 10 in the pal folder are identical.

Data is encrypted :(

Can i share it, or will this be to close to breaking the rules?
Lukasz

Post by Lukasz »

User? wrote: Data is encrypted :(

Can i share it, or will this be to close to breaking the rules?
The file might just be packed, since they are called osd* makes me think they might be only packed like OSDSYS. I wonder if this memento firmware exploits some kind OSDSYS update done from memory card (judging by the filenames), which was never actually used. Kinda like Independence Exploit and the PSOne file on the memory card which was never used.

As for sharing it, I suppose its already available as a download, so one can just download from the original source. Besides, I'm sure people interested in hacking it will just buy one ;-)
extraweb1

could you please post your fimware dump

Post by extraweb1 »

i Would appriciate it for futher inspection if you would please post your firmware dump
florinsasu

Post by florinsasu »

It can be extracted from the memento distribution.

Since it runs from memory card, it uses magic gate encryption. Last time I checked the memento files it was based of scph-30003/4 V3 dvd player code, with memento patching in their code.

So you should think twice before posting "firmware dumps" :P

Btw: there is no "firmware". Stop calling it that, it's an encrypted executable that runs from a memory card.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Piracy tool or not, posting stuff when you don't have permission to do so is still against the rules of this forum. Please don't post a link to any memento software.

You can talk about dumping or extracting it all you want, though.