SIO connector - an howto

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jean

SIO connector - an howto

Post by jean »

Don't know if someone is interested since this is a software developing forum, but i asked Tyranid and he said "why not?". So here it is a small guide on how to create your own SIO connector yourself without having to tear apart your remote. It's intended for PSP Phat, but i think the procedure is quite the same for slim...if you're so good in drawing its small contacts! Please do what the guide tells ONLY if you are experienced in the tasks required...Do it and use it at your own risk: in no case I will be responsible for whatever you choice to do (and what you could mess up).

[EDIT]http://www.docstoc.com/docs/892530/How- ... controller

jean
Last edited by jean on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
adavidm

Post by adavidm »

Jean,

The acid is Ferric Chloride, and is commonly called "PCB etching fluid", at least in the UK.

Cheers

David
jean

Post by jean »

Oh, thanks...i will correct this... I know the name of the acid in my language, but i didn't know how to translate....Thanks again
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Or you can buy a remote/serial/headphone plug here: http://pc-mobile.net/pspslim.htm

They also have the same thing for the phat psp. The plug is the hardest part, so get it already done professionally for a few bucks. :)
jean

Post by jean »

WOW, they're wonderful....D'oh.....not too bad, i like do myself things in McGuyver-style!!!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jean wrote:WOW, they're wonderful....D'oh.....not too bad, i like do myself things in McGuyver-style!!!
And you seem to do a great job at it. :) But for those of us who can't make a scan-doubling cable out of a shoelace and some coffee grounds, those plugs could be a god-send. :D

I found those while looking around for parts for an IR receiver to serial cable for the slim (so you could use a normal IR keyboard with the slim). Haven't gotten around to putting that together, but other folks could probably use the plugs for their own projects.
jean

Post by jean »

@J.F.
Little OT: I tried to connect an IR sensor to the mic line of PSP to allow a program grab certain ir codes and it -somhow- works...but it's not very elegant to waste cpu cycles grabbing mic signal and converting it "raw". If we could hack the interrupt manager properly, we could force it into calling an intr handler every time SIO-Rx line is high...then i will feed you with thousands of circuits and source codes to make the thing work :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Using the audio input for a raw IR input is certainly an interesting idea. I was more interested in IR receivers that output a standard async serial stream at 4800 baud or whatever the normal rate is (the ones I looked at had lines you set to control the baud rate they used). :) I didn't want to have to deal with the physical layer for IR communications, but if you were interested in a remote learning app for the PSP, your idea would be one way to approach it.
reizencroft

Post by reizencroft »

Sorry to bring up an old topic.

The pdf link above seemed to be broken. And also, how's the pinout for the slim?
jean

Post by jean »

Link edited...
PS: notice that address specified at the end of the document no longer exists....
sauron_le_noir

Post by sauron_le_noir »

kralyk

Post by kralyk »

adavidm wrote:Jean,

The acid is Ferric Chloride, and is commonly called "PCB etching fluid", at least in the UK.

Cheers

David
I though acid was Lysergic acid diethylamide... :D

Now seriously:
That howto is really good, thanks for posting it...
I only wonder how to do this on slim. Is slim sio pinout known?
...sorry for my english...
jean

Post by jean »

there's a post by jube on slim sio connector here around but i cannot find it at the moment...else you can ask mypspdev that have experience on that topic. My doubt on acid was derived from the fact that in italian (my native language as you can see from my poor english ;) ) "ferrico", "ferroso", "clorico" , "cloridrico" and so on.. do mean veeeery different things...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jean wrote:there's a post by jube on slim sio connector here around but i cannot find it at the moment...
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=65070#65070
kralyk

Post by kralyk »

Thanks!
...sorry for my english...