memory stick interface

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

everlasting

memory stick interface

Post by everlasting »

I know it is not very common to talk about mods in this web but i feel like i won't find my answer anywhere else (i'm serious).

I am doing a mod to have two memory sticks in my psp, both of them inserted, well this is not the matter. My problem is that i need to know which interface uses the psp to communicate with the memory stick.

I know there are two interfaces, serial and parallel. Serial uses only pin number 4 (of the memory stick) for data I/O (SDIO) but parallel uses pins number 3, 4, 5 and 7 for data I/O ( DATA[3:0] ). So in order to make the extra circuit that i need to do, it is essential for me to know the kind of interface it is.

I guess it's serial but i am not sure. If anyone could help me i would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Art

Post by Art »

Why would you guess it's a serial interface? That would be slower.
Anyway I can't be sure, but I have one in front of me, and most,
if not all pins of the MS slot that aren't grounded, are wired through to the connector for the mainboard, so I'd guess it's parallel.
If not actually, then potentially.
everlasting

Post by everlasting »

thanks a lot for your point art.
I thought it would be serial for that reason, because probably as it is slower it is also cheaper, but i am so stupid that i have been thinking a way of swapping the memories without removing them and if possible adding only one switch for it, that i forgot to follow the lines to see if they could be active.
Well, sure the steps i am taking for making this mod aren't the best neither in the proper order, i hope i will manage to do it in the end.
I apreciate a lot your help, thanks again.