Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:Mac OS 7.5.5 down is now free to use and download from Apple. So we have no legal boundary's to pelt through.
Sure you do - the ROMs are still a no-go. LEGALLY, you have to own the particular Mac, dump the ROMs from the Mac, and only use the emulator with that dump when the Mac is not running. That's always been a big issue with Mac emulators. The two big commercial Mac emulators for the Amiga came with hardware to help dump Mac ROMs which you could legally buy from Mac repair centers.

Realistically, it's easy to find Mac ROM images, but that doesn't make it legal. :)
I read some things about screen size issues and was wondering if you tried any of the virtual screen extensions, there were a few that gave you a virtual screen larger than the real screen that would scroll when the mouse hit the edges.
I remember this too, probably wouldnt matter so much as the PSP screen can fit it all into a square box and to me its pretty visible.

J.F was telling me the work on PSPUAE work with Basilisk 2 as well, so hopefully soon enough (this year :P) he'll come to life with it.
Well, given the slim, we now have the option of doing the video on the TV out as well. So I'm looking at three things for B2:
1 - Display the Mac screen shrunk to the PSP LCD size.
2 - Display part of the Mac screen on the LCD, and pan around the whole display (like on the FUSION Mac emulator in Window mode).
3 - Use the TV out.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:Mac OS 7.5.5 down is now free to use and download from Apple. So we have no legal boundary's to pelt through.
Sure you do - the ROMs are still a no-go. LEGALLY, you have to own the particular Mac, dump the ROMs from the Mac, and only use the emulator with that dump when the Mac is not running. That's always been a big issue with Mac emulators. The two big commercial Mac emulators for the Amiga came with hardware to help dump Mac ROMs which you could legally buy from Mac repair centers.

Realistically, it's easy to find Mac ROM images, but that doesn't make it legal. :)
I read some things about screen size issues and was wondering if you tried any of the virtual screen extensions, there were a few that gave you a virtual screen larger than the real screen that would scroll when the mouse hit the edges.
I remember this too, probably wouldnt matter so much as the PSP screen can fit it all into a square box and to me its pretty visible.

J.F was telling me the work on PSPUAE work with Basilisk 2 as well, so hopefully soon enough (this year :P) he'll come to life with it.
Well, given the slim, we now have the option of doing the video on the TV out as well. So I'm looking at three things for B2:
2 - Display part of the Mac screen on the LCD, and pan around the whole display (like on the FUSION Mac emulator in Window mode).
3 - Use the TV out.
If you do this, it'll mean i have to get another slim and fast!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote: Well, given the slim, we now have the option of doing the video on the TV out as well. So I'm looking at three things for B2:
3 - Use the TV out.
Hey, I got it worked out for Doom, so it's not that big a deal to add it to anything else I do. I guess once you see pspuae is out, that'll be the time to get it because it means I'll be back to B2. :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote: Well, given the slim, we now have the option of doing the video on the TV out as well. So I'm looking at three things for B2:
3 - Use the TV out.
Hey, I got it worked out for Doom, so it's not that big a deal to add it to anything else I do. I guess once you see pspuae is out, that'll be the time to get it because it means I'll be back to B2. :)
:)
Wally

Post by Wally »

Well I got another slim J.F :P
Frek

Post by Frek »

dbarrade wrote: I was thinking the BlueBox from the Mac OS X beta recompiled for the PSP would absolutely fly, not that Apple would ever leak it, but I'm sure if there was a legit MacOS for PSPS people would buy it.
BlueBox (aka Classic) is not an emulator- it's a runtime environment which requires a PowerPC underneath- it's somewhat analogue to Sheepshaver (the PowerPC counterpart of Basilisk II)
So even if the source was "leaked", it would not work on the PSP- it doesn't have any PowerPC emulator at all.
Wally

Post by Wally »

hurray PSPUAE is now released :D

*awaits return of Basilisk II with video out / Sound and Better performance *
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:hurray PSPUAE is now released :D

Um... that's just improvements to the old code by FOL, not my new code. So it's not the release that releases me to work on B2... yet. :D
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:

Um... that's just improvements to the old code by FOL, not my new code. So it's not the release that releases me to work on B2... yet. :D
NOES D:
F0L

Post by F0L »

J.F. wrote:

Indeed, I thought while we wait and to give J.F. some breathing space, I would try to learn as much as I could with the old source.

Havent heard from J.F. in a few weeks, and I'm not going to pester him, as that would be wrong, :). I have some more changes I want to make, but not sure at the moment, as I dont fully know the current status of the new PSPUAE build.

I think people will have to understand, J.F. takes alot on with regards to psp developement. As such we all have to wait, :). I have to ask though, what is BasiliskII? *F0L runs off to read the first post, ;)*
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

J.F. got busy there right after the new year, and has jury duty this month. :)

However, I am going to try to put some effort into getting some of this stuff done this month. If you're waiting on something from me, sorry about the delay. I haven't forgotten you. :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

Who said J.F was allowed to breath :P

Im being patient as i can be :P

Im even working on my website a lot more, I have 137 games reviewed / screenshotted and a lot more to go.

maybe J.F could mention my website in the readme as it will be shareware / freeware mac classics!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

That would be pretty cool. I'll have to check if some of my favorite Mac stuff is there. If you don't have certain things, I'll be sure to let you know to add them.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:That would be pretty cool. I'll have to check if some of my favorite Mac stuff is there. If you don't have certain things, I'll be sure to let you know to add them.
They aren't all there yet, however they will be quite soon :)

The site is getting a makeover

http://68k.graphicdznr.com/ is the new one.
F0L

Post by F0L »

J.F. wrote:J.F. got busy there right after the new year, and has jury duty this month. :)

However, I am going to try to put some effort into getting some of this stuff done this month. If you're waiting on something from me, sorry about the delay. I haven't forgotten you. :)
Well, ive managed to workout how to dump the srbk.c and libglue.c as they were outdated. Now I have it working perfect on 3.71, accept there is no sound. I need to now workout how the prx export stuff all works, :).

Its all learning, think I have learnt lots from messing with sound code alot. I only found the old HEAP_SIZE code by mistake, which was set to 16MB. Now thats dumped, im using HEAP_SIZE_MAX();, can now use all mem configs and HD floppies with no crashes (even on phat).

Anyways, sorry for being off topic, ill stop replying here now, :).
Wally

Post by Wally »

Hey,

having any luck J.F?

Sorry to keep reviving this :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

No problem. Periodic reminders are useful... I tend to lose track of secondary projects if someone doesn't prompt me now and then. I'm gonna put some work into it this next week. I've got other things I've been working on, but working on something different for a week can give me enough of a break to not get burnt out on them.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:No problem. Periodic reminders are useful... I tend to lose track of secondary projects if someone doesn't prompt me now and then. I'm gonna put some work into it this next week. I've got other things I've been working on, but working on something different for a week can give me enough of a break to not get burnt out on them.
Hurray!

J.F if you need any games to test or someone to test it. I got lots of classic games :)

http://www.68kshrine.net/68k/ will help you a LOT. I plan on putting them into a website soon enough :)
Last edited by Wally on Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:No problem. Periodic reminders are useful... I tend to lose track of secondary projects if someone doesn't prompt me now and then. I'm gonna put some work into it this next week. I've got other things I've been working on, but working on something different for a week can give me enough of a break to not get burnt out on them.
Hurray!

J.F if you need any games to test or someone to test it. I got lots of classic games :)

http://www.68kshrine.net/68k/ will help you a LOT
Yes, you remarked on that once before. I checked it out... nice page. I also have a few other things I used to use for testing back when I was working on FUSION for the Amiga and PC. So I have plenty of test apps. Once I get something that even remotely runs, I'll post it here for beta testing.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:
Hurray!

http://www.68kshrine.net/68k/ will help you a LOT
Yes, you remarked on that once before. I checked it out... nice page. I also have a few other things I used to use for testing back when I was working on FUSION for the Amiga and PC. So I have plenty of test apps. Once I get something that even remotely runs, I'll post it here for beta testing.
Cool, keep up the good work
Wally

Post by Wally »

I guess when J.F has migrated the 68k core, the 68k core can be used in other PSP projects?

This'd be interesting as an Atari Jaguar uses a 68k processor too :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The core is not CPU or system specific. B2 uses the plain UAE C/C++ 68K core.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:The core is not CPU or system specific. B2 uses the plain UAE C/C++ 68K core.

ah :)
cool!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

It would be nice to replace it with a good MIPS assembly core, but I don't have time for that right now. :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

So how are you going J.F :D
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:So how are you going J.F :D
Just making another pass through the code for obvious boo-boos. I think I'm just about ready to try compiling it.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:So how are you going J.F :D
Just making another pass through the code for obvious boo-boos. I think I'm just about ready to try compiling it.
I guess sound will work too :D
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

It SHOULD. That's one of the things I added to this. Once I get everything going, I can work on improvements, like supporting more than just the Sound Manager... support should be added for the older Sound Device as well.

Some of the games I run on the 68K Mac are chosen specifically for how they do the sound. Each one uses one of the older methods of sound production. That gives me a way to test the sound support.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:It SHOULD. That's one of the things I added to this. Once I get everything going, I can work on improvements, like supporting more than just the Sound Manager... support should be added for the older Sound Device as well.

Some of the games I run on the 68K Mac are chosen specifically for how they do the sound. Each one uses one of the older methods of sound production. That gives me a way to test the sound support.
I wonder, is shufflepuck cafe amoungst your little collection of games :)

So i guess nothing new yet?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:It SHOULD. That's one of the things I added to this. Once I get everything going, I can work on improvements, like supporting more than just the Sound Manager... support should be added for the older Sound Device as well.

I wonder, is shufflepuck cafe amoungst your little collection of games :)

So i guess nothing new yet?
Yep! And nope! Shufflepuck Cafe is rather fun, I liked playing that even beyond just testing with it. Spectre is another that was not only a good test, but fun.