dosbox, now with 100% less drama

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

ah, okay. I know you have a real life like me ;)
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

crazyc wrote:
aTomIC wrote:CrazyC:
Do you have some news for us (status report)?
I've been rather busy, I don't know when I'll have time again to work on this.
Too bad , I was waiting a long time for a new release.
JoblessPunk

Post by JoblessPunk »

Hey,
I'm trying to get Carmageddon to work on the PSP.

I hope this is the right forum to post this in (sorry Wally4000!)

I think I've hit a wall.
If anyone could pick this project up and do something with it that would be GREAT!!
I would love to play this old DOS Version of Carmageddon on my PSP!

This is what I've done so far.

-Downloaded + Installed:
DOSBox Easy Navigator
http://dl.qj.net/DOSBox-Easy-Navigator- ... /catid/501

-On my computer, Installed (Full instillation) Carmageddon threw the USB cable to my PSP.

-Transfered the Carmageddon ISO to the Games folder in DOSBox via USB Cable.

-Run DOSBox

-Mount ISO
"IMGMOUNT D:\GAMES\CARMA.ISO -T ISO"

-Run CARMA.BAT on "C" Drive, not "D" or whatever the ISO is mounted to.

Here are my results:
-REALLY SLOW LOAD
-Analog Stick works like the mouse, R + L buttons are the left and right buttons on a mouse.
-Sound works
-Lines thew screen

I can't get to past the last screen.
After that I have to push "home" -quit game

Next time I try and start the game up I get this error:
"FATAL ERROR: Can't open "C:\GAMES\CARMAGED\DATA\PATHS.ENC"

and have to reinstall Carmageddon all over again.

That as far as I've gotten.
I don't think I can get any further.
Can anyone help?
Last edited by JoblessPunk on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Hey!

No problems..

I'd like to see some more games working with higher compatibility too!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

JoblessPunk wrote:Hey,
Carmageddon has high system requirements. You are probably running out of RAM.
JoblessPunk

Post by JoblessPunk »

crazyc wrote:
Carmageddon has high system requirements. You are probably running out of RAM.
hmmm ty,

this is whats in the "carmageddon readme"
16MB Ram
--------
In order to ensure that those people with less than 24 megabytes of RAM can
enjoy the best features of this game, certain functions listed in the manual
are not available.

Most notably, shorter replays and the removal of the prat cam.

Playing Carmageddon in Win95
----------------------------
When you play Carmageddon through Windows95, you may find a problem with playing
the looping intro in the front end. If you do come across this problem, shut down
and restart in MS-DOS mode.

If you are playing Carmageddon in Win95 with 16MB RAM and get a "Low Memory Mode"
message, you will need to alter the DPMI memory settings for Carmageddon.
To do this, right-click on the "CARMA.BAT". Select "Properties". Select the
"Memory" tab. Change the MS-DOS Protected-Mode (DPMI) memory setting from "Auto"
to "16384".
does anyone know how much ram the PSP has?

I'm going to fiddle with lowering the ram in the CARMA.bat in a bit.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

JoblessPunk wrote: does anyone know how much ram the PSP has?

Fat, 32MB; slim 64MB. If you have a fat (can't tell from your pic), ram will be an issue. As for the graphic errors, I'll look when I get a chance (could be a while).
-REALLY SLOW LOAD
There probably won't be much hope here, recall 150Mhz and up Pentiums were common when carmagedden was released (1997). This is outside a reasonable performance envelope for psp-dosbox.
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

crazyc wrote:
JoblessPunk wrote:
-REALLY SLOW LOAD
There probably won't be much hope here, recall 150Mhz and up Pentiums were common when carmagedden was released (1997). This is outside a reasonable performance envelope for psp-dosbox.
Yes, I remember when Carmageddon beta was released and I only had 486 DX2 66MHz, and my friend had a P1 100MHz. Yep, Carmageddon ran on those specs, and Quake, and even Half-Life 1!!! (with a 3DFX Voodoo 1 card).
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

Next time I try and start the game up I get this error:
"FATAL ERROR: Can't open "C:\GAMES\CARMAGED\DATA\PATHS.ENC"

and have to reinstall Carmageddon all over again.
Hmm, strange path issues. This is similar to my Turbo C++ 3.0 include/source/exe path issues too!
AB10784

About path problems

Post by AB10784 »

I think I may have experienced similar things with the dos game abuse. I have had to reinstall many times after playing once then exiting back to dos box when I get back into the game it cannot load one of the main files for the game, usually I just exit straight from the game to the XMB and I dont need to reinstall the game.
JoblessPunk

Post by JoblessPunk »

thanks for the replys,
crazyc wrote:
JoblessPunk wrote: does anyone know how much ram the PSP has?

Fat, 32MB; slim 64MB. If you have a fat (can't tell from your pic), ram will be an issue. As for the graphic errors, I'll look when I get a chance (could be a while).
-REALLY SLOW LOAD
I'm using a PSP Slim
andrewwan1980 wrote:
crazyc wrote:
JoblessPunk wrote: There probably won't be much hope here, recall 150Mhz and up Pentiums were common when carmagedden was released (1997). This is outside a reasonable performance envelope for psp-dosbox.
Yes, I remember when Carmageddon beta was released and I only had 486 DX2 66MHz, and my friend had a P1 100MHz. Yep, Carmageddon ran on those specs, and Quake, and even Half-Life 1!!! (with a 3DFX Voodoo 1 card).
soo does that mean that there might be a chance?
db82

Post by db82 »

Has anyone tried Death Rally? I think its running, but takes forever just to get past the intro logo
c2woody

Post by c2woody »

The stripes in carmageddon are due to the way they write to the screen. They're using the fpu to do large block transfers/masked transfers, so an 80bit precise fpu emulation is needed (currently only x86 can do this by using the host fpu). But as already noted the psp might not play this game at acceptable speed anyways.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

c2woody wrote:They're using the fpu to do large block transfers/masked transfers, so an 80bit precise fpu emulation is needed (currently only x86 can do this by using the host fpu).
Thanks, it would have taken me a long time to figure that one out.
Jim

Post by Jim »

They're crazy to do that anyway...there are thousands of 8byte integer bit patterns that when loaded as fld get munged so that when they are fst they are different. It was only ever safe to do fild/fist, which was indeed faster than rep movsd.

Jim
c2woody

Post by c2woody »

Jim wrote:there are thousands of 8byte integer bit patterns that when loaded as fld get munged
It's about the 80 bit full-precision fpu content which are left fully intact when loaded/stored from/to memory, so they're fine with doing 10 byte moves using the fpu. I don't remember the details, but it looked like they are using some 80 bit add/other fpu ops to build up the in-game scenes where static content is mixed with the gameplay. But hard to say if this was really what it looked like.
fungos

Post by fungos »

I'm trying to get Prince of Persia running but it dont get any input, look my autoexec section:

Code: Select all

[autoexec]
@ECHO OFF
mount c: ./
INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP triangle rshift
INPUTMAP square space
INPUTMAP cross space
INPUTMAP circle lshift
INPUTMAP start enter
INPUTMAP select esc
SYSOPT clock 333
INPUTMAP exec prince
c:\
prince.exe
I tried with INPUTMAP exec prince.exe too, but still the same.
Frek

Post by Frek »

c2woody wrote:
Jim wrote:there are thousands of 8byte integer bit patterns that when loaded as fld get munged
It's about the 80 bit full-precision fpu content which are left fully intact when loaded/stored from/to memory, so they're fine with doing 10 byte moves using the fpu. I don't remember the details, but it looked like they are using some 80 bit add/other fpu ops to build up the in-game scenes where static content is mixed with the gameplay. But hard to say if this was really what it looked like.
I'm not into x86, but using the FPU to move data was pretty common on the PowerPC as well (although it's just 64 bits)- and yes data is moved intact.

On the PowerPCs with altivec, it's also used pretty frequently to move data (as it's 128 bit)- even though the PCI bus only was 64 bits wide on the G4s it accelerated more, I don't remember exact details about this so I won't go any further into- why.
Jim

Post by Jim »

On x86 it only works if you use FILD/FISTP not FLD/FSTP.
Because of denormals and special representations, eg
00000000:7ff00001
when copied gets corrupted to
00000000:7ff80001
The unfortunate thing about that is FILD/FISTP is just about as slow as using REP MOVSD.

But for this emulator, it means it really does have to emulate an 80bit fpu, else even FILD/FISTP copying can't work.

Jim
batanen

CacheBlocks

Post by batanen »

Hi!

When I try to play some games I got "Exit to error: Ran out of CacheBlocks" after playing a few minutes. Why is that and can it possible be fixed in next installment (adding much more CacheBlocks?) ? I am now using DOSBOX 0.71 for PSP.

On the other hand some games just freeze strangely. The music still plays, but the game doesn't react any key inputs.

Which I found intresting is that the analog stick does work with some games as a mouse. For example running Dune normally (the usual exe-file without any key mapping) this is the result, which is great! Strange is that R-trigger is actually mouse's left click and vise versa. Though if using the "mouse", only buttons that work is L & R-trigger (and maybe also start & select do something), but usually that's enough.

Hopely this CacheBlocks problem can be solved, so I could actually play some old games. Thank you for the great work!
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

I try to run Fallout on PSP Dosbox
It`s working but really slow :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vor-XcRC-Hg

I hope CrazyC can make some improvements to make Fallout runs normal.
:)
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

olesolo wrote:I try to run Fallout on PSP Dosbox
It`s working but really slow :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vor-XcRC-Hg

I hope CrazyC can make some improvements to make Fallout runs normal.
:)
omfg that looks like an amazing game!

yep, I think we should ALL learn assembly and rewrite DOSBox4PSP...

next phase is.. optimization..

like, a lot of DOSBox is the opengl-like anti-aliased rendering... I would happy with oldskool 320x200 non-anti-aliased screens.. just anything to make the games run as fast as possible conpensating graphics quality
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

andrewwan1980 wrote: like, a lot of DOSBox is the opengl-like anti-aliased rendering... I would happy with oldskool 320x200 non-anti-aliased screens.. just anything to make the games run as fast as possible conpensating graphics quality
The filtering is done by the GPU which doesn't do much else, so removing it wouldn't impact performance at all.
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

PSP Slim 3.90-3
DosBox 0.71
Fallout 1 (full CD eng)

take a first build(?) of 0.71
you`ll need only eboot.pbp, dosbox.conf (exit problems and memsize - don`t work)
disable all sound emulation in dosbox.conf

Copy FULL install(those one that work without CD) of Fallout 1 on PSP and add a path to it in dosbox.conf

Thats all :)

As I said before all except gameplay screen part works fine.

It`s strange and sad but I can`t run Fallout on the last DosBox build :\
Wally

Post by Wally »

olesolo wrote:PSP Slim 3.90-3
DosBox 0.71
Fallout 1 (full CD eng)

take a first build(?) of 0.71
you`ll need only eboot.pbp, dosbox.conf (exit problems and memsize - don`t work)
disable all sound emulation in dosbox.conf

Copy FULL install(those one that work without CD) of Fallout 1 on PSP and add a path to it in dosbox.conf

Thats all :)

As I said before all except gameplay screen part works fine.

It`s strange and sad but I can`t run Fallout on the last DosBox build :\
Gameplay screen?

Perhaps changing the CPU setting between sync and max will help.

Auto is quite nice, on a more serious note, sound is in the ME. So disabling it will do very little to the gameplay.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Wally4000 wrote:Auto is quite nice, on a more serious note, sound is in the ME. So disabling it will do very little to the gameplay.
Sound is not in the ME and disabling it helps a lot, especially adlib.
Wally

Post by Wally »

crazyc wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:Auto is quite nice, on a more serious note, sound is in the ME. So disabling it will do very little to the gameplay.
Sound is not in the ME and disabling it helps a lot, especially adlib.
Oh. Whats in the ME then? *reads*
hokk

Civilization

Post by hokk »

Anyone here playing civilization 1 on their psp? I have PSP Slim and use the slim release of psp dosbox. The game runs perfectly for about 4mins then the psp freezes. Same thing everytime.

Would be very happy if someone could solve this problem, I love the game and it would be awesome if it could work.
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

hokk
try PSX Civilization 1 or 2
They works perfect
hokk

Post by hokk »

Thanks for the advice, I am converting Civ2 to PSX now gonna check it out soon. But there hasn't been an Civ1 release for PSX right? Would be neat to have Civ1 working with dosbox (saves a lot of space too, 10mb<->400mb).