QUERY: post-pandora files... what are they?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

andrewwan1980

QUERY: post-pandora files... what are they?

Post by andrewwan1980 »

Initially when I formated my memory stick I had these files/folders:

\ISO\
\MP_ROOT\
\MUSIC\
\PICTURE\
\PSP\
\VIDEO\
\MEMSTICK.IND (readonly & hidden)
\MSTK_PRO.IND (readonly & hidden)

After installing & setting up Pandora I notice these additional files/folders:

\kd\ (massive folder with lots of elf,prx files
\PSP\GAME\UPDATE\EBOOT.PBP
\PSP\GAME\UPDATE\ipl_update.prx
\PSP\GAME\UPDATE\libpsardumper.prx
\PSP\GAME\UPDATE\pspdecrypt.prx
\registry\system.dreg
\registry\system.ireg
\eeprom.bin
\msipl.bin

Is it okay to delete all of these since they were not originally on my memory stick? If not, then what is the significance of the \PSP\GAME\UPDATE\ folder? That's probably the Pandora icon I see in my menu...

EDIT: whoops, I just checked the 1.50addon v2 for 3.71M33 and that is what the GAME\UPDATE folder is. So it was okay to delete that (I think!)

EDIT: just found \PSP\GAME150\pandora_battery & \PSP\GAME150\pbfirm_install folders. Safe to delete?
Last edited by andrewwan1980 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

This isn't the place for these questions, but I think you should keep your Pandora stick in case you need it later. Make a backup dump of your nand and put it away for safe keeping against the day you screw up your PSP.

I have a Pandora battery and TWO sticks set for restoring PSPs - one for the Phat and one for the Slim. I have backups of the nand for all three PSPs here saved in a variety of locations. Better safe than sorry.
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

Basically the pandora tutorial for fat psp isn't clear as to what files are generated, what files are temp and can be deleted and what files are important and must NOT be deleted.

1. I assume the \eeprom.bin & \msipl.bin files in root folder are some binary dumps and probably can be deleted.

2. Some people told me you can delete the \kd & \registry folders... others say not to.

3. I just found \PSP\GAME150\pandora_battery & \PSP\GAME150\pbfirm_install folders. I guess this was the pandora installer/setup. Safe to delete?
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

Yes, what I should really do is perform a "proof of concept" type/like to see whether my pandora battery jig & magic stick really works.

I will play about to see what happens with & without folders \kd\, \registry\, \eeprom.bin & \msipl.bin.

So I guess these four files are the magic files, eh?

Will report back with what actually happens during a pandora reset. I thought pandora unbricks & resets PSP firmware back to 1.50? If so, then shouldn't it need the 1.50 firmware somewhere on the magic stick? But everyone has told me it was safe to delete the 150.pbp file.... hmmm... let's see what happens... probably my pandora will brick my perfectly working non-bricked PSP??!?!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The eeprom.bin is a backup of your battery's eeprom. Don't get rid of it unless you plan to leave your battery as a pandora battery. The msipl.bin was the data written into the boot sectors by the program to make the stick, so it's not needed. ALL the files in kd, registry, and other dirs are needed since they're the OS that is booted from the stick.

The pbp files are needed for pandora to write a new custom firmware to the PSP. On phats, it uses the 150.pbp and a 3xx.pbp. On the slim, it only uses a 3xx.pbp (where xx depends on the version of the D_C on the pandora stick).
andrewwan1980

Post by andrewwan1980 »

I think I confused a lot of people including myself. When I said that am finished with pandora I mean I finished creating the pandora battery and magic stick... but still awaiting for the day my PSP bricks and I have to use my magic stick.

Since I found out that the pandora I made is the old classic pandora from last year... I am now wanting to create the new pandora for slim/fat... or the ultimate pandora... hoping one day in near future I will get slim (no, am not fat).

So, question 1: do I need to revert my pandora battery back to normal? Question 2: since I already formatted the magic stick, will formatting it again for new/ultimate pandora magic stick be ok?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You can leave the battery as a pandora battery. Many people do. If you formatted the stick, you'll have to go through the whole procedure to make it magic again. I reccomend you get a cheap 256M stick to leave as magic. That's really all the space you need on the magic stick, and 256M is super cheap these days.