Can anyone help me to adapt a PC game on my PSP?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

bioniclearchiver

Can anyone help me to adapt a PC game on my PSP?

Post by bioniclearchiver »

Hello, I want to adapt a game and I think it is not very hard to do it with this game.
The game can be found here. There is no need to install it and since this is not a big or a powerful game, it must be easy for those of you who know many things about the PSP. Take a look on it.

I don't intend to let you work on this plan, as I want to understand how to do it, so if someone can explain me how to extract the game files and convert them in order to be playable on the PSP, he is welcome.

(please excuse me if I don't speak well, I'm french but I do my best to speak normally)
Wally

Post by Wally »

The first port of call is the source code.. however there is none.

No Source = No Port so no point going anywhere here.

Wally

P.S this is a development board, not a request for help on making projects place as J.F stresses this too much :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

There is the Help Wanted Requests forum for people wanting to request something. Go to that forum, read the rules, then post there.

And I'm not the only one to point out the purpose of the board. :P
:D
bioniclearchiver

Ho, I'm sorry, I was thinking my plan was a developing one. Can you move it to the right place?

For the source, it is possible to extract them with an hexadecimal editor, so we have the sources in a way.

The main problem is that I dont understand the English tutorial explaining how to extract the data. If you want the link for this tutorial, I can give it to you.
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

you can reverse it
Upgrade your PSP
hlide

Post by hlide »

bioniclearchiver wrote:For the source, it is possible to extract them with an hexadecimal editor, so we have the sources in a way.
are you really a dev ? are you seriously thinking about retrieving the source by just looking at hexa dumps !?

insane proposal as usual.
bioniclearchiver

Of course, I'm serious. I'm at the begining but I really intent to improve myself.
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

as I said.
Reversing it is the ONLY way of getting the code. (if there is no source code available)
Upgrade your PSP
angelo

Fools

Post by angelo »

You'll be there for days extrcting everything bit by bit.

Just call the project a dud and move on.

Angelo
bioniclearchiver

1)Ok, and if I say I have the source files?

I first wanted to adapt this game for the PSP, but if you don't want to help me on it, I have an older version which already has the files extracted.

What do you say?

2)Second, for this game (the link I gave to you), I can reverse it myself. Time is not a problem. I just need to know how to do it (I just have trouble understanding the tutorial, but if you can help, I think it will be OK).

3)I never said you were going to do it, I was asking if someone can explain me how to do.

Ho, and if someone can tell me what is the difference between reversing and extracting?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You don't even know the terminology for reverse engineering an app. That means you don't know enough to do it yourself. Sorry, but this is one of those cases where if you have to ask how, you're incapable of doing it. If you have to ask where to learn how, you'll never be capable of doing it, even with lessons. Reverse engineering is an art-form in the realm of programming. It takes an awareness of programming that you either have innately, or build of several DECADES of assembly programming and compiler deconstruction.
hlide

Post by hlide »

bioniclearchiver wrote:1)Ok, and if I say I have the source files?

I first wanted to adapt this game for the PSP, but if you don't want to help me on it, I have an older version which already has the files extracted.

What do you say?

2)Second, for this game (the link I gave to you), I can reverse it myself. Time is not a problem. I just need to know how to do it (I just have trouble understanding the tutorial, but if you can help, I think it will be OK).

3)I never said you were going to do it, I was asking if someone can explain me how to do.

Ho, and if someone can tell me what is the difference between reversing and extracting?
1) by source I mean the original source written by the author. If by extracted files you mean a disassembled source (got through IDA Pro for instance), no one would help here.

2) I don't understand : the issue is you don't even know to reverse engineer this game !? or you are clueless about how to program on PSP ? the first issue is the most difficult job, so if you can do the first job, programming on PSP would be a piece of cake for you.

3) indeed, I'm not sure people here understand what you want to do as long as you are vague with your questions. Not only that, I bet you don't even know what the reverse engineering process is really.
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

there are your answers ^
Upgrade your PSP
bioniclearchiver

J.F. wrote:You don't even know the terminology for reverse engineering an app. That means you don't know enough to do it yourself. Sorry, but this is one of those cases where if you have to ask how, you're incapable of doing it. If you have to ask where to learn how, you'll never be capable of doing it, even with lessons. Reverse engineering is an art-form in the realm of programming. It takes an awareness of programming that you either have innately, or build of several DECADES of assembly programming and compiler deconstruction.
Ok, let's say I don't know all this. Then, did you know all this when you were born? Don't say I will NEVER be able to do this. I know it will take some time, but you learned how to do right?
Each one can learn how to do, and each one MUST learn to be able to do so. No one is born with all this knowledge.
I'm just 18 years old right now (I know, I'm just at the beginning, but I need to begin to complete this plan as soon as possible, you should understand this).
My school year is finished, I in two months, I will be in a computering school, so I need to know NOW in what category I have to ask. I sure need more informations, but I also need clues to know where I must look for my informations.

Thank you if you can understand that I'm just at the beginning and I'm well-motivated.
hlide wrote:If by extracted files you mean a disassembled source (got through IDA Pro for instance), no one would help here.
As I said, I'm at the begining, so I don't know whether IDA Pro is a software or not. I assume it is some king of illegal since you said no one would help me.
I don't want to work illegally. All the files were already as they are now. For exemple, if ou have downloaded the demo and opened it with an hexadecimal editor, you would have noticed that the file containing the map files contains two .stg2 files (two maps of the game). In the older version, each file is apart from the others ones.

If you want those files, I can put them on the web if you want to have a look on it.
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

IDA Pro is not illegal as far as I know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disassembly
Assembly language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language
Upgrade your PSP
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Well, never was perhaps too strong. We'll go with probably never. :)

If you're just starting out, unless you have a supernatural feeling for RE, you'll need another decade of study and experience before you'll be doing anything more than the most simple RE.

To be legal here in the US, if you do the RE, you cannot be involved in writing the program. You need two teams: one to RE, and the other to take the info learned and write all new code that does the same thing. Depending on who did the original program, they may try to sue you anyway. Seeing as it's a Japanese game, that's probably a very low possibility.

Anyway, looking at the game, it's your standard 3D fighter with the addition of having two fighters per side. It would probably be less work to code something that was similar and reuse the art/sounds than to try to actually RE the game itself. Even if you're good at RE, you're looking at many months of solid work... possibly a few years. It's certainly not worth the effort of anyone here to work on this. My advice is learn 3D programming and write your own 3D fighter that plays in a similar fashion. It'll give you useful skills you can employ elsewhere at the same time.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Or make a replica engine which controls the game. However you would require heavy knowledge of ASM in that case.

Wally
bioniclearchiver

Uhm, well, maybe you're right.

But, in the first game, the fight is only you against another (only two characters) and I don't think think there is a need to reverse the files that are already apart.

I think there is just a patch or a driver to make in order to use the files that already exist, maybe.
I don't feel well thinking to create the game with nothing. I rather want to use the files I already have. Maybe a PRX is enough to explain the PSP how to read those files?
Anyway, the older version is easier since there is less files. I just need to use the characters and the maps, and I can recreate the menu.
Wally

Post by Wally »

bioniclearchiver wrote:Uhm, well, maybe you're right.

But, in the first game, the fight is only you against another (only two characters) and I don't think think there is a need to reverse the files that are already apart.

I think there is just a patch or a driver to make in order to use the files that already exist, maybe.
I don't feel well thinking to create the game with nothing. I rather want to use the files I already have. Maybe a PRX is enough to explain the PSP how to read those files?
Anyway, the older version is easier since there is less files. I just need to use the characters and the maps, and I can recreate the menu.
No, unless you want to heavily google for us.

look for Crusis Fatal Fake Opensource Clone, I doubt you'll find one.. This is the only way then we are protected from any legal action. Best to contact the developers and ask them for the source code *chuckles*

Wally
bioniclearchiver

OK, it seems we are going nowhere this way.

Let me ask another question: Does someone know how is made an original UMD game and which files are used inside for the maps and the characters?
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

UMD's cannot be made like copying files to into it.
You need a sony tool (hardware tool)which is very expensive.
Upgrade your PSP
bioniclearchiver

Yes, but if you just create the .iso file of the UMD, you can read it evenif you don't have the UMD. Since the iso file is just a pack of some data, I think it is possible to create it with a computer.
I don't need to burn my files on a UMD, but I need to know which files are used in a UMD.

I think that, knowing which files I need, I will be able to make another step forward, say convert my files into sony files, or something like this.
Even if you think this is not possible, can you answer me?
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

I don't know where are the characters.
Use UMD Gen 4.0 to open an iso
Upgrade your PSP
kralyk

Post by kralyk »

bioniclearchiver. you need to know some things before you start making plans, so make sure you understnad what these things mean:

Source code
Compiled - binary executable code for pc - the EXEs
Compiled - binary executable code for PSP - the ELFs, PRXs and EBOOTs

Also, youre messing up game data files - the stages, the graphics etc. and the game executable code itself - the game EXE file.

Extracting means getting the graphics etc. data from the game in reasonable format
Reversing means understanding the program logic based on its disassembly

Do you know what assembly is?
Oh and....

Have you ever made a program for PC? Eg. in C++ or something similar?
hlide

Post by hlide »

I think bioniclearchiver is totally ignorant and thinks it is's just a matter of learning, which is obviously wrong. But how to explain to him that what he wants to do is like a quadrature of the circle ?

Worse, he clearly doesn't know about what he talks as he doesn't seem to realise PSP and PC don't share the same architecture as they don't use the same native machine language, the same hardware, and so on.

Even for a developper well versed in both architectures the process of conversion will be long and hard. Does this game deserve such a long process ? I'm doubtful.

And definitely not the first project for a dev beginner.

This guy's proposal is simply INSANE. Let this topic die.
bioniclearchiver

Thank you kralyk, I know exctly what are all those things. Maybe since I'm french I did not explain well what I wanted and so you had doubts.

I've already made C programs and studied the difference between PRXs and EBOOTs and all.

And if assembly is what we call "assembleur", I know what it is.

For hlide, I think you're a very eager person who doesn't want to help others who may compete with you.
I'm not totally ignorant as you said and I know that it takes a lot of time. I know also that it's not a matter of learning, but if you don't learn, you go nowhere.
Did you read my last posts? Let me doubt about it. Why do I want to convert the files? I wouldn't want to do it if I didn't know that PSP and PC are different in the architecture.

And for your information, I've understood the quadrature of the circle. That's not very hard to understand. Now, if you don't want to help, that will help me. I prefer people that try to help me and who are friendly.

Why do I ask here? Because that is the most suitable place to do so. I read that here is the place where you can find the best people for what I need, so at least, if I have no help, I hope I can have advices.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

bioniclearchiver wrote: And for your information, I've understood the quadrature of the circle. That's not very hard to understand.
I'm not sure you do. I think wikipedia puts it very well:
"Squaring the circle" as a metaphor

The futility of exercises aimed at finding the quadrature of the circle has lent itself to metaphors describing a hopeless, meaningless, or vain undertaking.

For example, in Spanish, the expression "descubriste la cuadratura del círculo" ("you discovered the quadrature of the circle") is often used derisively to dismiss claims that someone has found a simple solution to a particularly hard or intractable problem.
Now do you understand? ;)
hlide

Post by hlide »

[sorry for this very long french post]

bon ok, puisque nous sommes entre français, autant que je te prévienne : ce que tu demandes là est très culotté et perçu pour la plupart d'entre nous comme de la naïveté.

tu voudrais une adaptation d'un jeu PC en un jeu PSP ? sans que tu ais les sources ? et tu penses qu'en extrayant simplement les fichiers de données, tu pourrais faire une adaptation ? ma parole ! si ce n'est pas de la naïveté, c'est de l'arrogance mal placé pour quelqu'un qui en est à ses débuts. Laisse moi te dire une chose : quand bien même le jeu me plairait et que je ressente un besoin impérieux de le porter, je ne me hasarderais par sur ce terrain et encore moins dans cette ordre. Mais bon, cela n'engage que moi.

Nous on te conseille plutôt d'apprendre à coder un jeu du même gabarit, tu auras plus vite fait. Admettons que tu sois à ce niveau de programmation (chose que tu ne nous garanties même pas dans tes posts). Tu voudrais extraire ces données pour ton propre jeux ? pas très légal en soi, mais passons. Maintenant explique moi en quoi le fait d'extraire des données d'un jeu PC concerne le développement sur PSP ?

Donc déjà aucune raison pour de t'y répondre ici. Mais passons.

La seule réponse à ce sujet que je peux te donner, c'est d'aller voir des sites de développement sur PC, pas sur PSP. Eventuellement, exerce toi avec IDA Pro pour désassembler le binaire du jeu dans l'espoir fou de découvrir comment le binaire manipule les données que tu souhaites tant exploiter. Crois-moi, à ce stade-là, tu seras très bon et tu n'auras pas besoin de nos conseils pour développer le jeu sur PSP.

[end french post]

Can we now let this topic die ? this is not relative to PSP development but to PC development.
bioniclearchiver

Thank you for your french post, I unserstand that you think I'm naive.

You want me to explain why I need the sources? I said it. Even if it will be very difficult (I know it will be), I want to reuse those files on the PSP.

You say I have better to create a game that looks like the original one. I've more experience in using what I already have than creating from nothing (but if you can help me for this, I will accept since you seem to know how to do). I just wanted to go where I think I would have less difficulties.

You also say that's illegal to extract the game's data, but since there is no license of this game in France, that's not legal for now. It's for my personnal use and I will not distribute it if a license is about to come in France. So, there is no problem here.

I want this game to be on the PSP, because I think it will be easier to play and because I prefer play on my PSP than on my computer (and I also have plans for the future that are easier to do on the PSP). If I ask on PC developping forums, they will say that they don't know how is made a PSP, and the problem will be worse.

So, if you prefer me to start an adaptation from nowhere, please help me.
I'm a user more than a creator. I've only created things from something else, so I don't really know where I can begin.

[message for Hlide]
Pour Hlide, je veux juste dire que c'est un jeu qui me plaît beaucoup, et j'ai plus l'habitude d'adapter des choses qui existent déjà que de créer à partir de rien, c'est pour ça que je voulais adapter le jeu en récupérant les données. Je pensais qu'il était possible de faire un patch PRX pour que la PSP puisse lire ces fichiers, et il ne me restait alors plus grand chose à faire (je peux me charger de faire le programme si j'ai les sources).
Maintenant, si vous pensez pouvoir m'apprendre à faire une adaptation à partir de rien, ce que je n'ai que très rârement fait (jamais concernant la PSP).
J'aimerais que ce soit fidèle au jeu et c'est pour toutes ces raisons que je voulais le ré-utiliser, mais je veux bien que tu m'expliques comment démarrer sans rien (je n'ai pas trouvé de forums français intéressants expliquant ça).
Merci d'avance. Je pense que je me suis mal exprimé avant et que ça à fait des embrouilles, je m'en excuse. Je pensais que tu étais égoïste et ne voulais pas aider, mais c'est parce que tu n'avais pas dû comprendre ce que je voulais dire.
Je veux bien repartir à zero sur une autre direction pour cette adaptation.
jean

Post by jean »

Please H.O.S. this guy...it's so silly that we can't loose this post!