Help catching a psp thief..

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

SMiff-n-Wessun

Help catching a psp thief..

Post by SMiff-n-Wessun »

Someone stole my PSP a while back, a slim. Now one of my "friends" has a new PSP. However when I got ahold of it, the serial number on the bottom was ripped off, as was the one under the battery. How convenient.

Now, I never recorded my MAC address but I REALLY want to know if this is my PSP. I have the serial number for my device written down, however I am at a loss as to how I can find out what the serial number for the PSP he has is without the serial stickers..

Is there a software out that will record the system serial number from the nand, or anywhere it may be stored within the psp file system.. Or better yet, is this information even stored anywhere WITHIN the PSP file system??

Please help, as I would like to get this resolved, and my PSP back if this one is mine. I just need the PROOF..

Thanks for any information you could provide,
Mike
Wally

Re: Help catching a psp thief..

Post by Wally »

SMiff-n-Wessun wrote:Someone stole my PSP a while back, a slim. Now one of my "friends" has a new PSP. However when I got ahold of it, the serial number on the bottom was ripped off, as was the one under the battery. How convenient.

Now, I never recorded my MAC address but I REALLY want to know if this is my PSP. I have the serial number for my device written down, however I am at a loss as to how I can find out what the serial number for the PSP he has is without the serial stickers..

Is there a software out that will record the system serial number from the nand, or anywhere it may be stored within the psp file system.. Or better yet, is this information even stored anywhere WITHIN the PSP file system??

Please help, as I would like to get this resolved, and my PSP back if this one is mine. I just need the PROOF..

Thanks for any information you could provide,
Mike
The serial number should be on the Motherboard and possibly recorded in the nand somehow, I have no idea where though
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

If you have a idstorage dump of your stolen psp, you can dump the id storage of your "friends" psp and compare on or two unique keys on each psp
Upgrade your PSP
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Only very old psp's had the serial written in the idstorage, in all current ones that string is ascii-zeroed.
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

I am talking about Unique Keys not the serial in the id storage.
He could then compare one of the unique keys to each psp.
If they were the same then the psp was the same
Upgrade your PSP
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

Keys 0x100 to 0x106 are unique in each PSP.
The difficult bit is getting those keys from your "friend's" PSP.
However, if you don't have a NAND dump, that won't work.

If you're lucky, it'll be one of the older models which stores the serial in the IdStorage.
SMiff-n-Wessun

Post by SMiff-n-Wessun »

I would like to thank you ALL for your replies. I know this isnt really the forum for this kind of help, but I appreciate you all taking the time to even respond to me,

I figured if anyone would know, you guys would.. lol.

jas0nuk: No, I have no problem getting my hands on it.. The jerk is asking me to mod it for him.. Today I just told him I didnt have my stuff with me.

All: The problem is, that when I had the PSP it was still relatively new, and unmodded at all. I don't have a dump of the original keys to compare it to. All I have is the box and manuals with the serial number on it, and the HOPE that I can prove this is mine, (or that he is really my friend and it is NOT mine)..

Wally4000: Your post about the serial number being written on the board intrigues me though.. If this is true, I have no problem dissasembling it and checking it out, if that is my last resort. Is this the case with a slimline psp? Where on the board might it be?

moonlight: out of curiosity, is there any way to decrypt it, or is it zeroed out permanently?
Wally

Post by Wally »

SMiff-n-Wessun wrote:I would like to thank you ALL for your replies. I know this isnt really the forum for this kind of help, but I appreciate you all taking the time to even respond to me,

I figured if anyone would know, you guys would.. lol.

jas0nuk: No, I have no problem getting my hands on it.. The jerk is asking me to mod it for him.. Today I just told him I didnt have my stuff with me.

All: The problem is, that when I had the PSP it was still relatively new, and unmodded at all. I don't have a dump of the original keys to compare it to. All I have is the box and manuals with the serial number on it, and the HOPE that I can prove this is mine, (or that he is really my friend and it is NOT mine)..

Wally4000: Your post about the serial number being written on the board intrigues me though.. If this is true, I have no problem dissasembling it and checking it out, if that is my last resort. Is this the case with a slimline psp? Where on the board might it be?

moonlight: out of curiosity, is there any way to decrypt it, or is it zeroed out permanently?
It'd be on a sticker there somewhere.

Wally
SMiff-n-Wessun

Post by SMiff-n-Wessun »

I was looking at some dissasembly pictures for instructions, and I noticed that the serial number on the motherboard, wasn't the same one that was under the battery (at least in those provided pictures).

Im not sure if it was just the pictures of that particular dissasembly, or not. But is the one on the board the same as the one that would have been printed on the two stickers on the outside of the PSP (bottom and under battery), and the same as the one on the original box?

I'm just curious as to if these all match, or if they are different serial numbers. I would hate to open the psp and end up in the same boat.

I'm really not even sure if the serial number on the psp itself is the same on that is printed on the box "serial # for registration".

If anyone knows for sure, could you just confirm it for me..

Thanks again,
Mike
AlphaDingDong

Post by AlphaDingDong »

Not to belabor the obvious, but what happens when this guy takes apart his friend's PSP and then realizes he can't put it back together right? lol

If you think the dude stole your PSP then I think you need to find yourself some better friends, whether he did or not. Friendship is about trust, IIRC. If you can't trust him enough to know that he's not stealing your kit then he's not much of a friend.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Besides, even if you could prove it was yours, it still doesn't prove he took it. It's just as likely an addict stole it and sold it to a pawn shop to get money for drugs, and then this person bought it there. It takes a very special kind of stupid to steal something, then bring it back to the victim to be modified. While I'm firmly convinced the average person is a moron, that level of stupid is still hard to find. ;)
jas0nuk

Post by jas0nuk »

I have to agree with the previous two posts.
Also, just re-read your first post; since it's a Slim, the serial number is definitely not stored in the IdStorage. They only did that with the first couple of fat PSP hardware revisions.
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:Besides, even if you could prove it was yours, it still doesn't prove he took it. It's just as likely an addict stole it and sold it to a pawn shop to get money for drugs, and then this person bought it there. It takes a very special kind of stupid to steal something, then bring it back to the victim to be modified. While I'm firmly convinced the average person is a moron, that level of stupid is still hard to find. ;)
He could be a redneck xD
Sullivan

Post by Sullivan »

get a hold of dark_alex's mac address spoofer, it will dump your mac address to the memory card.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Sullivan wrote:get a hold of dark_alex's mac address spoofer, it will dump your mac address to the memory card.
He did say he didn't record his mac address.. and its been ripped off the casing

Please read the thread next time.

Wally
adrahil

Post by adrahil »

If you have used the PSN Store, even to download simply demos, you can recover the PSID...
Art

Post by Art »

I'd ask what gives the OP the right to void a warranty,
or even open any unwarranted device he may not own.

and just for the record, I'd be able to tell the PSP I regularly use from any
other unit without the need for any identifying numbers.

If it was yours and you knew it you could just make two copies of the nand dump,
pretend the first is your original, and there's your proof.
Then you could fight it out by open hand slapping each other while both crying like babies until your Mothers sort it out.
If not actually, then potentially.