Problem with writing FW to flash (kernel 3+)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Hellcat

Problem with writing FW to flash (kernel 3+)

Post by Hellcat »

Hi!

First off:
- Yes, I am using the updater modules, yes they are from the right FW/Updater
- Yes, the IPL in the NAND is the correct one for the flashed FW
- No, I did not forget the M33 additional files

So, now my issue:

I made an app (or at lease I'm trying to) that flashes a fresh CFW onto the PSPs flash0:/
But once the app is done flashing I get a fullbrick.

I compared the files my app writes to those taken from the flash0: of same FW in working state, from the very same PSP and they are 100% identical, down to the last byte, including all sigchecks!

During my search for the cause, I tried also to copy everything (from a working PSP) from flash0: to my PC, delete everything on flash0: (filewise, not format!) and copy everything from my PC straight back, without touching anything inbetween - results in brick as well.

My guess is the cause is the same.

So, what do I need to take care of when copying a full FW to a fresh formatted flash0:?

The CFW I try to install myself if 3.71-M33, the app itself runns in 3.xx kernel.
jean

Post by jean »

Don't think this will help so much, but..who knows?!
Me and a friend of mine own two phat PSP bought in the same store at some weeks of distance one from each other. Model and motherboards are identical, sw used to be the same as well (byte to byte...). Mine can do flash restores by copying files backupped "with windows copy" and can nicely handle 8 Gb memsticks as well, while my friend's one cannot (neither). If hardware is really the same and software is the same in the very moment backup-and-restore takes place, maybe there's something in the past status of the machine that bothers us. Here it is...just my two cents.

jean