Encoding PSP video using non-standard resolutions

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Awhite

Post by Awhite »

QB7 is a really low quality, thus you get blocky video. :)
368x208 is a non-palyable resolution for the PSP, UNLESS you use psprez to patch the video file.
and finally audio is low because of the ac3 convertion.
Ioannis KarAvas
Syncaio

Mac OS X Icons

Post by Syncaio »

Got fed-up with the crap Mac OS X PSP icons that are doing the rounds so decided to make a few myself. My fave is the SanDisk PRO Duo 1GB (Low Shadow) version. Take your pick ;)

SanDisk PRO Duo 1GB OSX Icons - for the money-savers
sdpd1gb_osx_icons.sit

Sony PRO Duo 1GB OSX Icon - for the crazy rich kids
spd1gb_osx_icon.sit

homepage.mac.com/psprez/
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

Anyone got an recommendations for the best resolution/encoder settings for 2.35:1? I tried encoding at 416 x 176 (Closest I was willing to get to the max pixels) but the PSP squishes it to fit 16:9.
Syncaio

Post by Syncaio »

Look back a few pages for my suggested settings. I think it's fair to say that 368x208 is the defacto non-standard resolution to use as it's scaled evenly by the PSP and looks terrific. I have a 1GB PRO Duo so 512kb/s is my bitrate choice for all movies so I can still fit a few MP3 albums and photos as well. I encode my Simpsons and Futurama DVDs at 15fps/384kb/s bitrate. This works really well for flat-shaded animations.

Video encoding settings are all subjective so just play about to get something that you feel is a decent trade-off. For 2.35:1 movies use 368x208 and ensure you keep the black bars at the top and bottom of the movie (no cropping). You can clean-up the areas to the left and right if you wish. It's important to keep these as the PSP needs them to correctly display the 2.35:1 aspect ratio on its 16:9 screen.

Hope that helps :)
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

Syncaio wrote:Look back a few pages for my suggested settings. I think it's fair to say that 368x208 is the defacto non-standard resolution to use as it's scaled evenly by the PSP and looks terrific. I have a 1GB PRO Duo so 512kb/s is my bitrate choice for all movies so I can still fit a few MP3 albums and photos as well. I encode my Simpsons and Futurama DVDs at 15fps/384kb/s bitrate. This works really well for flat-shaded animations.

Video encoding settings are all subjective so just play about to get something that you feel is a decent trade-off. For 2.35:1 movies use 368x208 and ensure you keep the black bars at the top and bottom of the movie (no cropping). You can clean-up the areas to the left and right if you wish. It's important to keep these as the PSP needs them to correctly display the 2.35:1 aspect ratio on its 16:9 screen.

Hope that helps :)
Its keeping the black bars I am having trouble with, AutoGK removes them and I cant see any settings to keep them. It sounds like my problem is becoming something thats not acceptable to discuss here. I'll see what I can find elsewhere. I was kind of hoping that the PSP would just scale the video up till it hits the side, but not strech it to fit all sides.
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

I figured out how to not crop the movie.

I now have the movie at 2.35:1 using 368x208 pixes encoded at 463kbps (as Klendathu posted), which fits nicely onto my memory stick. Unfortunatly about half way through the movie, during a high action scene, the PSP will quit the video and say that it cannot be played.

This leads me to believe that perhaps Sony crippled the PSP video from memory stick due to not being able to read the video fast enough at certain resolutions, although I have a Sony Memory Stick High Speed Pro Duo 512mb so I would have thought that this wouldnt be an issue.

When I get time, I will reencode movie at current bit rate and at lower bit rates, to try and identify what the problem could be.
FIMM

Can someone help me get psprez

Post by FIMM »

can onyone please pm me a link or any way we can work out so u can send me this psprez because i can't seem to find it and i need it to patch my video files or else they will not work. Please i need help getting this psprez because all links i find seem to be not working.
rprince

-f psp option and non-standard resolutions

Post by rprince »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone experimented with the PSP patch to ffmpeg that was added to the CVS a month or so ago? From my testing so far I haven't been able to give the movie a title(!) and it also doesn't play nice with non-standard resolutions. Has anyone found a solution to these problems?

Kind regards,
Rikki Prince
THX1139

re: -f psp option and non-standard

Post by THX1139 »

That was me, it was just a few hours work I put in to get the basic functionality going. I havn't had to time to go back and put in the new non-standard rez stuff, but it shouldn't be hard. ... movie name should work though, I thought that it was just standard mp4 stuff, but I must admit I didn't try it.
rprince

Need help?

Post by rprince »

Hi there,

I was trying to get my front end GUI up and release before delving into ffmpeg, which is turning out to be a bitch to compile (it doesn't work on my Win 98 machine using MingW32 and the only machine I had to put Linux on has a tiny 2GB drive and I need to compile the cross compiler on it, which is taking aaaaages!)

How should the non-standard res work with your update to ffmpeg? I must say I don't really have a clue how the MPEG4 format works or how ffmpeg works. I tried hex editing a file outputted by "ffmpeg -f psp" to force the res reported in the file back to 320x240, but it didn't work and then when I tried it on the PSP.

Any idea about the title? I wonder why it's not working. It just displays as a "-" on the PSP.

Cheers mate,
Rikki
pspvideo9

Post by pspvideo9 »

Hi Guys,
We are trying to compile some hard technical data on the MPEG-4 format that the PSP uses. Any information that you think could be useful to our document would be apprecatied:
http://www.pspvideo9.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4

On another note, we have recently released a freeware FFMPEG-based PSP encoder program. Let us know what you think.
PSP Video 9
PompeySteve

New version of 3gp converter out

Post by PompeySteve »

Version 0.30 available from here

Not had a chance to try it yet, busy at work err... ;)
Sir_LANs-a-lot

Re: New version of 3gp converter out

Post by Sir_LANs-a-lot »

PompeySteve wrote:Version 0.30 available from here

Not had a chance to try it yet, busy at work err... ;)
Now up to v0.31

!
[Sir_LANs-a-lot]
PompeySteve

Post by PompeySteve »

Sir_LANs-a-lot wrote: Now up to v0.31
!
Blimey ! Anyone had a chance to trry this version out?
Sir_LANs-a-lot

Post by Sir_LANs-a-lot »

PompeySteve wrote:
!
Just tried this with some very acceptable results (converted an 800Mb MPEG to circa 93Mb MP4).

I'm going to re-convert a full 4.3Gb MPEG again and see if it makes much of a difference to the 500+Mb MP4 it made with a previous version)
[Sir_LANs-a-lot]
NinjaFish

Post by NinjaFish »

Looks like v0.30+ are using the new ffmpeg builds with direct PSP support. All of the settings in trancoding.ini are down to two lines now.

[edit] This build of ffmpeg is a lot slower than the previous one, at least with the new settings in transcoder.ini. This would explain why PSP Video 9's encoding is so slow.
Last edited by NinjaFish on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

Mawdsley wrote:Unfortunatly about half way through the movie, during a high action scene, the PSP will quit the video and say that it cannot be played.
Reencode using same settings resolves issue under 3GP .31.
pspvideo9

Post by pspvideo9 »

NinjaFish, are you seeing the same slowness is version 0.31? They recompiled ffmpeg with the optimizations set to max so hopefully that will make things some what faster.

We've upgraded PSP Video 9 (Version 0.91) to reflect this new version:
http://www.pspvideo9.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32

We still have are old verion 0.8 lying around which uses the old "exe cocktail" for anyone that wants to try that. Though there is an error in this version that won't allow 1500kbps video to playback properly on the PSP (forgot to forge bitrate to 768kbps, fixed in 0.9+).
NinjaFish

Post by NinjaFish »

pspvideo9 wrote:NinjaFish, are you seeing the same slowness is version 0.31? They recompiled ffmpeg with the optimizations set to max so hopefully that will make things some what faster.
Actually, I never tried 0.30. The slowness I saw was from 0.31.
ckyfan

framerate

Post by ckyfan »

maybe when they have an update for the psp (software update) you will be able to play back video at 25FPS
Sir_LANs-a-lot

Post by Sir_LANs-a-lot »

Sir_LANs-a-lot wrote:
PompeySteve wrote:
!
Just tried this with some very acceptable results (converted an 800Mb MPEG to circa 93Mb MP4).

I'm going to re-convert a full 4.3Gb MPEG again and see if it makes much of a difference to the 500+Mb MP4 it made with a previous version)
Re-encoding the 4.3Gb video with v0.31 of 3GP introduced lots of glitches into the video :(
[Sir_LANs-a-lot]
konfig

Post by konfig »

I've read all in this topic.

I know from the guide book that PSP supports movie encoded in H.264(Supported codec : video:H.264/AVC MP Level3. Page 115).

But as I know, until now the only codec used by 3GP is XviD(maybe other codec is also supported, but worse than the XviD). Further more, the AVC(H.264) seems not available for ms video(from previous post).

I learned some MPEG4 encoding issue these days and found that the AVC(H.264) was more advanced than and superior to current MP4 encodings.

I don't have any AVC movie clips, but I learned from many issues that WMV9 had the similar efficiency as the AVC. So I found some free short clips in WMV9 format. They all showed astonishing quality at very low bitrate(less than 200kbit/s) - even totally no mosic effect at all in high speed scene!

I converted that clip(about 189kb/s) into PSP format using 3GP. Bitrate was set to 1500(as high as possible). The final(actual) bitrate was about 4.2 times of the original WMV9 file - just as many reports said, quarter in size but same quality.

If AVC ms video comes true someday, 512M ms will be enough for any movie.
sonk

Post by sonk »

Hello,

I have about 50 + dvd movies I have already converted with PSP video 9. Id like to enjoy them but they dont work. My PSP just says "incompatable format". I know that they just need to be patched with PSPREZ, but I cant seem to get it right. Im kinda a noob when it comes to patching things from a command prompt. Can someone who knows how to patch with psprez from the windows XP command prompt please post some instructions on how and what to type. Please?
pdc

Post by pdc »

have you tried encoding at a psp-compatible resolution, just to make sure the PSP is happy with your MP4 file?

I believe PSPrez is really simple to use.

Code: Select all

C:\>psprez.exe MYMOVIE.MP4
for example.
sonk

Post by sonk »

Hello,

The MP4 do work at standard resolutions but I need to patch quite a few. The command you put down, do I have to have both the psprez file and movie file in that same directory? Please help.

Thanks, Sonk
pdc

Post by pdc »

sonk wrote:Hello,

The MP4 do work at standard resolutions but I need to patch quite a few. The command you put down, do I have to have both the psprez file and movie file in that same directory? Please help.

Thanks, Sonk
Yes. Same directory.
--

psprez.exe movie.mp4
assumes movie.mp4 is in the same dir as psprez.

psprez.exe d:\videos\movie.mp4
assumes movie.mp4 is in d:\videos\

psprez.exe ..\movie.mp4
assumes movie.mp4 is in the parent directory to that of psprez.
sonk

Post by sonk »

I followed that and it just flashes on screen...is this correct on how it looks?

Sonk
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

sonk wrote:I followed that and it just flashes on screen...is this correct on how it looks?

Sonk
If you run PSPREZ from Start > Run in Windows. It will run, then immediatly exit.

I would recommend running CMD from Start > Run to bring up a command prompt, then run PSPREZ from there. That way you can see the output as the window remains open.

If you dont mind me saying so, if your having difficulties running PSPREZ, you may be on the wrong website (This is a dev site). Somewhere like PSINext or PSPCrazy (I wont post URL becuase they are spamming SOBs) may be of more use to you.
jayroc2200

got a question

Post by jayroc2200 »

i dont have a 1gb mem stick yet but i was just wonderin can u put a small clip on the 32mb stick? if so how cause itried it and when i transfer it to the psp and go to the video file there's nothin there. can someone help me?
pdc

Re: got a question

Post by pdc »

jayroc2200 wrote:i dont have a 1gb mem stick yet but i was just wonderin can u put a small clip on the 32mb stick? if so how cause itried it and when i transfer it to the psp and go to the video file there's nothin there. can someone help me?
http://psp.connect.com/tutorial.html

read this and you'll get what to do.