Remotejoy on Linux (*buntu Intrepid)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

lingenfr_psp

Remotejoy on Linux (*buntu Intrepid)

Post by lingenfr_psp »

As the subject says, I have been trying for a couple of weekends/weekdays to build RJ on Kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) without much luck. I have looked at the instructions here:

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4292 and here:

http://www.guztech.nl/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=56

and I have read what seems to be the only relevant thread on this site here:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... =remotejoy

but so far, I can get past the script that builds the toolchain. I followed the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=985800

to use gcc 4.2 and g++ 4.3 for compile the toolchain. After watching the script run, I am not sure that is correct, but I was out of ideas.

When I run toolchain-sudo.sh, I get the following (this is the tail):

make -C pspsh clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/pspsh'
rm -f pspsh *.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/pspsh'
make -C usbhostfs_pc clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/usbhostfs_pc'
rm -f usbhostfs_pc *.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/usbhostfs_pc'
if ( which sdl-config ); then { make -C tools/remotejoy/pcsdl clean; } else { make -C tools/remotejoy/pc clean; } fi
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/tools/remotejoy/pc'
rm -f remotejoy *.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/tools/remotejoy/pc'
make -C pspsh all
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/pspsh'
g++ -Wall -g -D_PCTERM -I../psplink -c -o pspsh.o pspsh.C
make[1]: g++: Command not found
make[1]: *** [pspsh.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/pspsh'
make: *** [all] Error 2
../scripts/009-psplinkusb.sh: Failed.
ERROR: Could not run the toolchain script.

If I try to go to the psplinkusb folder and run make, it eventually tells me it can't find psp-config and psp-gcc although they are in /usr/local/pspdev/bin as they should be and they run from the command prompt. I have also read the READMEs that come with the toolchain and a host of other websites in various languages. Bottom line is I have searched and read so please don't tell me to do either unless it is a known good set of instructions. Can anyone help or point me to a more up to date set of instructions.

Bumped once.
NoEffex

Post by NoEffex »

I use fedora, and am having the same issue, however not same problem. It compiles, but doesn't work. I'm wondering if anybody is willing to port the client of remotejoylite to linux-based platforms.
paraita

Re: Remotejoy on Linux (*buntu Intrepid)

Post by paraita »

lingenfr_psp wrote: make[1]: Entering directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/pspsh'
are you sure g++ is installed ? altough i think it's used earlier in the script but it's weird.

Be sure you explicited corretly the path to your fink/macports bin folder

You can try to run the 009-psplinkusb script manually
reizencroft

Post by reizencroft »

Try this one out:

* Install GCC 4.2

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gcc-4.2

* Modify toolchain-sudo.sh, adding following right before “export PSPDEV=/usr/local/pspdev”

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2
like so:

#!/bin/bash
# toolchain-sudo.sh by Dan Peori (danpeori@oopo.net)

## Enter the psptoolchain directory.
 cd "`dirname $0`" || { echo "ERROR: Could not enter the psptoolchain directory."; exit 1; }

## Set up the environment.
 export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2
 export PSPDEV=/usr/local/pspdev
 export PATH=$PATH:$PSPDEV/bin

## Run the toolchain script.
 ./toolchain.sh $@ || { echo "ERROR: Could not run the toolchain script."; exit 1; }
*run the toolchain script

And use the latest g++.

hope this helps.
lingenfr_psp

Re: Remotejoy on Linux (*buntu Intrepid)

Post by lingenfr_psp »

paraita wrote:
lingenfr_psp wrote: make[1]: Entering directory `/home/lingenfr/pspdev/psptoolchain/build/psplinkusb/pspsh'
are you sure g++ is installed ? altough i think it's used earlier in the script but it's weird.

Be sure you explicited corretly the path to your fink/macports bin folder

You can try to run the 009-psplinkusb script manually
g++-4.3 was installed. I installed 4.2 and created a symlink to /usr/bin/g++. I also followed the instructions in the post above. I think it worked. Not sure what you are talking about on the macports stuff. Maybe you have me confused with a mac user.
lingenfr_psp

Post by lingenfr_psp »

I tried to make some educated guesses by following ngine and some other websites as well as the information provided with the packages. I got everything to compile. Yeah!. I am running 5.00m33-4 on my PSP. On my PC I run:

~/pspdev/psplinkusb/release_oe/pc/usbhostfs_pc/usbhostfspc

I get a response that it is 'Connected to device'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have previously copied the ~/pspdev/psplinkusb/release_oe/psplink folder to my /psp/game folder on my psp.

As well I created a /remotejoy folder in the root and copied the remotejoy.prx from the ~/pspdev/psplinkusb/release_oe/psplink folder
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next I open a new sh tab and run:

~/pspdev/psplinkusb/release_oe/pc/pspsh/pspsh

I get the host0:> prompt. It responds to the help command but when I issue the 'reset vsh' command it says 'resetting vsh' but eventually the psp turns off.

What next? Have I missed something or used the wrong versions? Thanks.
Last edited by lingenfr_psp on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
lingenfr_psp

Post by lingenfr_psp »

Bump. Please provide some feedback.
lingenfr_psp

Post by lingenfr_psp »

Bump.
lingenfr_psp

Post by lingenfr_psp »

Bump. Bump. Bump.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Never use it. How's that for feedback? :)
lingenfr_psp

Post by lingenfr_psp »

Worthless, but better than silence. Still need help. Please.
jsharrad

Post by jsharrad »

I've never been able to reset psplink to vsh either, I get the same lockup and then the psp turns off. I've never needed it though, so I never looked into why it did it. PSPLink & remotejoy both work without going through vsh though so if you just want to debug apps, you're all set.
lingenfr_psp

Post by lingenfr_psp »

OK, what I really want to do is find a way to rip my UMD videos. I thought that RJ might be a step in that direction. Theoretically, I ought to be able to capture that stream, then transcode it into something useful. Folks have tried more traditional approaches without success. Regardless, I want to get RJ working. Over on the maxconsole forums, Tinman reports that he got it working 90% on 64-bit linux. He and others shared some binaries, but I have not been able to get them working either. It is disappointing that this project is being developed in linux yet it seems the only folks unable to use it are linux users. Wacky.