Installing psptoolchain mingw & msys

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

coolkehon

Installing psptoolchain mingw & msys

Post by coolkehon »

is it possible to install the psptoolchain using mingw and msys and if so how
adrahil

Post by adrahil »

coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

not what i'm talking about i want to install using psptoolchain.sh
adrahil

Post by adrahil »

Uhm... why? devkitpro is fairly well maintained and updated. The .sh script has been made (as you can maybe guess) for linux only. I guess it is somehow possible with a lot of tweaking (otherwise WntrMute wouldn't have managed to integrate pspsdk to his toolchain) but not really worth the effort.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

The toolchain script and the toolchain itself were intended to run in a unix-like environment. It certainly is possible to build it elsewhere but cygwin and mingw/msys are too much of a moving target to support by default. It became a maintenance nightmare.

You could follow some sort of tutorial on how to build it with mingw/msys, or use devkitpro. Although devkitpro tends to be a little out of date at times, but most people don't need to be on the absolute bleeding edge anyway.
hlide

Post by hlide »

heimdall's pspsdk may be a good start too.

it uses mingw but i'm not sure about msys.

and there is probably Heimdall's SVN source as well if i'm not wrong too to build it.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

yes it runs on msys too, but the sdk is patched to be msys agnostic, but you and i do use msys with it without any problems. But since msys is such a mess to get it working i never pack it with the sdk because that would be another big project. On the project svn there are shell scripts and rudimentary docs on how to get it working...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

adrahil wrote:Uhm... why? devkitpro is fairly well maintained and updated.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You a very funny guy! "Well maintained and updated." Snort - HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry - couldn't help it.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=114505

Look at the date devkitPSP was last updated... what was that? Couldn't hear you... that's right! April 16, 2007. Yeeeeeaaaaaah. "Well maintained and updated" my ass! :D
angelo

Post by angelo »

J.F. wrote:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You a very funny guy! "Well maintained and updated." Snort - HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry - couldn't help it.

Look at the date devkitPSP was last updated... what was that? Couldn't hear you... that's right! April 16, 2007. Yeeeeeaaaaaah. "Well maintained and updated" my ass! :D
You know J.F, it's not bad! As long as you keep your PSPSDK up to date you're fine.

I've been using devkit pro for about a year now. I've found it a breeze to install, it's super faster, easy to update and it intergrates itself into Windows.

I've linked devkit pro to Programmer's Notepad 2, so I NEVER ever use a bash. I code and compile in a GUI!

I've tried the PSPDev in other environments:

CYGWIN:

A nightmare. It takes AGES to install, is 10x the size of DevkitPro and 3x slower too. I'm shocked that so many Win32 users use CYGWIN.

Linux/*buntu:

Nahhh... I'm more of a Windows kinda guy. Go ahead crucify me. Moreover, everything is done in bash. No thanks! It's just as speedy as Devkitpro, but not as nice as Windows for PSP debugging. =D

Angelo
NoEffex

Post by NoEffex »

angelo wrote:
J.F. wrote:

You know J.F, it's not bad! As long as you keep your PSPSDK up to date you're fine.

I've been using devkit pro for about a year now. I've found it a breeze to install, it's super faster, easy to update and it intergrates itself into Windows.

I've linked devkit pro to Programmer's Notepad 2, so I NEVER ever use a bash. I code and compile in a GUI!

I've tried the PSPDev in other environments:

CYGWIN:

A nightmare. It takes AGES to install, is 10x the size of DevkitPro and 3x slower too. I'm shocked that so many Win32 users use CYGWIN.

Linux/*buntu:

Nahhh... I'm more of a Windows kinda guy. Go ahead crucify me. Moreover, everything is done in bash. No thanks! It's just as speedy as Devkitpro, but not as nice as Windows for PSP debugging. =D

Angelo
Ubuntu isn't as great as it was, well, dpkg is unable to provide what's needed. OpenSUSE or Fedora is the greatness, plus if you get 64-bit it's quite quick, in that I finished installing the toolchain in a couple of minutes, and psplibraries didn't take much longer.
angelo

Post by angelo »

Well at least you're all set up now!

Good luck and have fun with your new environment.

Angelo
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

angelo wrote: Linux/*buntu:

It's not Ubuntu, it's gcc. Gcc keeps updating, with minor updates that make the old method of building the toolchain break. Folks have been working out the issues, and it should once again be the best way of handling the toolchain and sdk shortly. As many changes as there have been since April 2007, I wouldn't be using devkitPSP. Windows people should be using Heimdall's devkit instead. It's not quite as "easy" to setup, but it's not hard either, and FAR more up to date.

Also, linux doesn't force you to use a terminal either. I do everything from within Geany, a very nice, lightweight IDE. The debugging is another issue I haven't tried messing with. Psplink seems to be aimed mostly at Windows. Not linux's fault the original author of psplink targeted another platform. Maybe those issues will get worked out sometime as well. In the meantime, more "traditional" methods of debugging, like logging, are no problem (for many devs at least).
angelo

Post by angelo »

Oh.. I use a mixtur eof devkitPro and Heimdall's devkit. I set the framework up with devkitpro (since it's so easy to install) and update it with Heimdall's devkit. (Since that's so easy to install!)

All together my PSPDev environment comes to a whopping 266MB including all docs, every single up to date lib and include file known to the PSPDev community and all samples too! Not bad eh?

I've never used PSPLink either and I'm a Windows user.

I (like you) prefer logging in text file of on on screen messages. I use piKey's function "displayStatusText(char text);" as a major debugger.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

But you can use psplink, the build + driver i pack on my installer works :)