Creating own ISO

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

cewlout

Creating own ISO

Post by cewlout »

Hello,

I'm planning to create a homebrew game on the PSP. Therefore I have installed the PSPSDK and well, everything code-related is clear to me (well, at least everything I need for my game :-)) - but there are still some questions left concerning "architecture". I hope you can help me;

1. I want to create an ISO for my game but now I am reading that it is not possible since the EBOOT.BIN has to be encrypted so that the PSP can load it? Is this true?

2. Is it possible to create e EBOOT.BIN for my ISO which is encrypted and the CFW can load it?

3. If I only would use a EBOOT.PSP which is not encrypted(?) I only have one file where should I store the (huge) data files?

4. Generally, is it possible to create a simple ISO so the game could be distributed this way or is it generally a bad idea?

Thanks
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Its possible, but there not much programs to create iso. The eboot.bin is an encrypted elf. Its best to make it as an eboot, and for any type of external files, make a program to pack it into one file. Its not that hard to make it.
Art

Post by Art »

Someone distributed one of the sdk sample demos as an ISO,
but I suspect it was done with an official devkit.
If not actually, then potentially.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Listen, just to make it easy for you and me, boot.bin is plain elf, eboot.bin can be a encrypted elf by psp-pack. In some games, it have the ~PSP or ~SCEA tags. Listen, make it an eboot.pbp, when done, let anyone know.

Use unpack-pbp to unpack the eboot, and change the data.psp to eboot.elf, and make a copy of that file and name it boot.bin. run ether psp-pack or psp-strip and name it eboot.bin.
and I believe you know the rest.

I might make a makefile to help you to better.
MysticWhiteDragon

Post by MysticWhiteDragon »

Personally I would just zip the EBOOT.PBP and all the other files in a zip file and then just let the user extract the files manually. If you want them put into the PBP there are several different methods providing the EBOOT is small enough.

1) Use a program such as Tiny Hexer and use export to source to allow it to be included into the code.

2) Take a look at funcLib in particular the Password example. It gives you an example of how to embed files, although I have not tried this way so I can't tell how well it works, or how much memory it consumes.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Using bin2c to export it is a bit slow(to me in fact). But its easy, but large files may go slow.
cewlout

Post by cewlout »

Thanks dudes for your adive, I'll investigate further!
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

You can use ISO Buster to create the iso.