Update v1.50 has been made available!

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

konfig

Post by konfig »

Find a new matter(maybe bug):

In the photo function, Japanese language can't be used for folder name(no problem for file name) anymore. Once there is such folder, PSP will crash when selecting photo function(first no response for any input, ms access lamp remains bright for about 5 seconds, then PSP automaticly shuts down).

System language was set to Japanese when crashed.

Does anyone have the same problem?

If it is really a bug, I think 1.51 version will be released soon.
pdc

Post by pdc »

konfig wrote:Find a new matter(maybe bug):

In the photo function, Japanese language can't be used for folder name(no problem for file name) anymore. Once there is such folder, PSP will crash when selecting photo function(first no response for any input, ms access lamp remains bright for about 5 seconds, then PSP automaticly shuts down).

No, I do not experience this.
I made a folder with random Japanese characters (because I do not know the language) and the PSP can read it fine.

Could you paste here the folder name you are using?
konfig

Post by konfig »

pdc wrote:
konfig wrote:Find a new matter(maybe bug):

No, I do not experience this.
I made a folder with random Japanese characters (because I do not know the language) and the PSP can read it fine.

Could you paste here the folder name you are using?
I tested again. Not all Japanese words led to crash. Only the following word(actually not one):

shi-lya-shi-n(pronounciation)

The word means 'photo' in Japanese. If you set system language to Japanese and put this folder in the PSP\PHOTO folder, everytime you select 'photo' function from system menu, the PSP crashes at once.

Japanese words have many form(when writing), each have their different code. But no matter which one you use, the PSP always crashes.

The usually used form is(hex number):

--------form-------------------UNICODE----------------Shift JIS code--
----full hiragana--------3057,3083,3057,3093-------B582,E182,B582,F182
----full katakana-------30B7,30E3,30B7,30F3-------5683,8383,5683,9383
--Chinese character----------5199,771F-------------------CA8E,5E90

(As I know, Shift JIS is the default encoding for Japanese version PSP)

The most interesting matter I found is: some word have the same pronounciation(that is, same hiragana and katakana form) as this one. When you use their Chinese character form, the PSP crashes too - as if the PSP know their pronounciation.

One of them is : 6368,8EAB(UNICODE. Shift JIS code is CC8E,6790). it means 'devote yourself' in Japanese(maybe not right, my Japanese is not that good). When pronounced or write in pronounciation form(hiragana or katakana), it is same as the 'photo'.
konfig

Post by konfig »

I think the crash has something to do with the 'digital camera photo' folder you see in the system menu when selecting 'photo'.

Actually, there is no such folder in ms file system. If you put some jpg file into the G:\DCIM\101MSDCF folder, you will see them in the 'digital camer photo' folder on PSP. SONY digital cameras use such path to store photos on ms. Path name indicates camera type. Probably jpg file in this folder has some name restriction.

But why these strings all lead to crash? Even some word that only has the same pronounciation?
pdc

Post by pdc »

It's not crashing.

Is that correct?

I have never used Japanese/Chinese text before!
konfig

Post by konfig »

I tested more than 20 times, everytime it crashed.

System language : Japanese(otherwise ok)
Firmware version : 1.5(if not, ok too. This folder existed till now. Crash only happened after upgrading)
and Japan version PSP.
Last edited by konfig on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PinkPeach

Post by PinkPeach »

i made シャシン, しゃしん, 写真 and 捨身-(爆)^^- folders (with pics inside) and none made PSP crash. I have 1.5 firmware, japanese language, 1st batch of japanese psps and placed the folders in \PSP\PHOTO

are you sure that s not a problem of pictures you put inside ?
konfig

Post by konfig »

pdc wrote:It's not crashing.

Is that correct?

I have never used Japanese/Chinese text before!
correct.

I don't know why your PSP did not crashed. If you think I'm spending time cheating people here, just ignore it. I've spent enough time here and get nothing to let you believe my PSP really crashed even just now. If no other PSP crashes, you just think I am nothing but a cheater, and I'll leave here at once.
PinkPeach

Post by PinkPeach »

nha... not a cheater, but maybe that s something else... If all your "shashin" occurences bug that means that ATOK has a problem on your particular setup. Maybe that s because there is some sort of corruption on your memory stick. If i were you i would copy the content on your PC, delete every thing, let the PSP build the file system, and place your backed up files back on the MS.

Post by Guest »

konfig wrote:If no other PSP crashes, you just think I am nothing but a cheater, and I'll leave here at once.
Hey, I don't think anyone believes you are cheating. But it is valuable information if it is difficult for others to repeat the problem. We need to find out why that happens. The advice to start with a reformatted memory stick is good advice. If you can repeat it after that, its good. Otherwise, there is corruption on the memory stick. And that is valuable too, if we can find out what kind of corruption triggers a crash.

And Sony people reading here might like to know too ;)
pdc

Post by pdc »

No need to get upset, Konfig :)
nobody said they do not believe you.

It is -very- strange your PSP crashes. It does follow the same symptoms displayed when my jpeg crashed the picture viewer.

PinkPeach has a good point - do you have any pictures inside the folders?

Crashing because of pronounciation though...? Perhaps the rumoured text-to-speech addon has been sneaked in with v1.5! ;)
PinkPeach

Post by PinkPeach »

it is verry possible to be a pronunciation problem, ATOK, the JustSystems IME (from which microsoft purchased their IME technology) works based on pronunciation
it happens that shashin has only 4 writings (well 5 if you count the half width katakana):
here is screenshot of ATOK for PC (my v17)
konfig

Post by konfig »

I let nothing inside the folder(even only one folder at the PSP\PHOTO\), formatted the ms(using psp), restored all system settings to default. The crash still happened.

There are at least two PSPs that did not crash now, so there is no need for other people to do the pointless test.

I'll borrow some device to record the process that psp crashes later.
pdc

Post by pdc »

konfig wrote:I let nothing inside the folder(even only one folder at the PSP\PHOTO\), formatted the ms(using psp), restored all system settings to default. The crash still happened.

There are at least two PSPs that did not crash now, so there is no need for other people to do the pointless test.

I'll borrow some device to record the process that psp crashes later.
Does it crash the MP3 player too?

If you could upload the PSP\PHOTO\ directory structure to ftp then we could be sure to have the correct characters.
(I don't know if ftp servers generally support asian text, tbh)

I believe you, konfig. I'd like to be able to reproduce it myself though.
Synthaxx R-or

Post by Synthaxx R-or »

Just a quick question in between.
Can anyone confirm/deny that you can use (X) to make selections with the new update? I really hate it when switching from PSP to PS2.

Thanks
<write cool stuff here
DigitalFoundry

Post by DigitalFoundry »

Just to confirm that unbelievably the 25fps video playback bug has not been fixed. Any video encoded at 25fps plays back at 29.97 fps, thus going completely out of sync with the sound.

One hopes that Sony will get around to correcting this for the European release, as most European video is 25fps.
Yoorah

Post by Yoorah »

Is it possible to create a "disk image" of a memory stick (sort of like a Norton Ghost image)? If so, maybe that could help other people investigate this.

Did you try replacing your current photos with others, but with the same file names? Or do you have nothing but folders stored there?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Kamilion

Post by Kamilion »

There is a program named "Dolly" that does just this. It's hard to find these days. I used it to backup and restore images from my I-opener's 16MB internal flash. It is a MS-DOS utility though. Linux's dd will work in a pinch though...

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/home/user/pspfsimage

(ubd1 might need to be used in place of sda1 on certain kernels)

And norton ghost will probably work, if it's version 8.0 or above (Due to having a win32 version)
konfig

Post by konfig »

I brought a USB PC Camera. But the video quality is too low to see the words on the screen.

Music and video function are both ok, at least nothing abnormal has been found.

Uploading ms file structure may be of no use. Disk files on my PC definitely did not use SHIFT JIS encoding, but after file or directory were transfered to ms through PSP, their Japanese name could be correctly displayed. Obviously some unseen encoding conversion had been performed. More these conversion will be performed though networks.

One of the most simple directory structures that causes crash is :

MEMSTICK.IND (0 byte)
PSP/
-----PHOTO/
--------------&#25448;&#36523;/ (empty)

(now I know non-ASCII characters can be correctly displayed in the webpage here)

As for the text-to-speech addon, maybe it is not necessary for crash. The Japanese input method embodied in the PSP are based on pronounciation. So each word in the glossary database should have a link to its pronounciation.

I noticed Mr. zigzag's post. He mentioned that when you tried to power the system off, the power light blinked. And I noticed my PSP did not.
Most likely I had a corrupt or incomplete firmwire installed(maybe some unexpected matter occured).

The 1.5 firmwire can't be reinstalled. So I have to wait for the next update release. And if there are Sony people here, I'd like to suggest they add a 're-install' or 'repair' option in the later release.
pdc

Post by pdc »

konfig, what firmware version does your PSP report in 'System Settings'?

Someone else may know better but I would expect a bad/partial firmware update would likely not give you a useable PSP. Or at least throw up a CRC errors.

Edit:
That folder name (copy/paste from above) still does not crash my PSP (with lang=Japanese).
Hmmm...??

I wonder if Sony's text-to-speech engine is available for the PC.
It's clear now most of the PSP's 'extra' features are things Sony have already developed for other products and aren't exclusive to the PSP.
Juudas

Post by Juudas »

Awhite

Post by Awhite »

The PSP update can be re-installed. The problem is, that it might say 1.60 on the system's info.

The trick here is: Change the number of version, so psp thinks its a new update.

Not sure if it boots succesfuly and installs because i used that to make my fake monkey island boot loader, bootable. Which i executed from TEST folder. :P (then restarts to the main screen)
Ioannis KarAvas
konfig

Post by konfig »

pdc:

My PSP displays the system software version as 1.50.

I didn't mean the update file is corrupt or incomplete(I used the file downloaded from the link in this post. The link at the official website is also the same). I meant something unexpected happened while upgrading that caused malfunction and wrote into PSP a bad firmware(at least not totally correct).

While powering the PSP off, power lamp does not blink. That should be sufficient to prove there is problem with the system software, so don't waste your time testing anymore.

As I can remeber while upgrading. When the progress bar reached 100%, there were words on the screen that told me to push the 'circle' button to reset. So I picked up the PSP from desk. At that moment, maybe PSP lost DC in power supply(the pin still pluged in the DC in hole, but maybe not actually connected. I had encountered this before). After I pushed the button, there had been no response for at least 5 seconds, then PSP restarted.

Can't remember clearly whether PSP really lost external DC power at that moment.

Maybe this is the case, or maybe not - for the battery in the PSP definitely had full power at that time.
pdc

Post by pdc »

Yes, the PSP not flashing is proof enough.

DC power should not be an issue - you have a battery. Like you said.
My PSP also waited a few secs before rebooting.

Anyway, it will surprise no-one if a Playstation device has a problem :D
I wonder if anyone has the same problem.

You will just have to wait for 1.6 I guess :)
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

konfig wrote:While powering the PSP off, power lamp does not blink.
It only blinks when you put it in sleep mode.
solidscotty

Post by solidscotty »

I ran the firmware udpdate today and everything seemed fine until I tried to connect to me Wifi network.

Saw a posting on PSPHACKS.net afferwards:

"That you zMastaa?

Do you mean the firmware update did something to disable the PSP from detecting Wifi USB Adapters as WAPs. I haven't tried the technique out out though (already got wifi router), but maybe some re-configuration could make it work again.

-Juudas"

Anybody else come across any network problem after running the update, any fixes?
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

I sure did solidscotty, check page 2 of this thread..
Later,

Alcahest
konfig

Post by konfig »

Mawdsley wrote:
konfig wrote:While powering the PSP off, power lamp does not blink.
It only blinks when you put it in sleep mode.
I tested.
It blinks only once at the beginning of its sleep(that is, the time when it enters sleep mode from active).
placasoft

Post by placasoft »

i found something in a france forum. It´s a fake isn it?
www.people.freenet.de/placasoft/PSP.de/ver2.jpg
danielglez

Post by danielglez »

Its very interesting, but probably a fake.
Can you put a link to the forum. THX