Newb Questions

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Energy

Newb Questions

Post by Energy »

Hey all!

First off been visiting this forum for a while and I love watching the first dawns of working out a console. It's great to see MC here too, I enjoyed watching him work out most of the Dreamcast.

Now I was hoping to get a PSP for crimbo and get a japnease one however I went on a 3 month trip to ethiopia so I'm currently out of the country. But I'm dying for one of these babies.

I hope sony realiese the potential of releasing a legal homebrew development kit, maybe having it so that you could upload your game on to their website. Heck they could make it so that it encrypts it with a unique key that if they notice more than one copy of the key floating around then they can ban that persons development kits, if they're that worried about illegal copies and losing money. I myself are starting a game development 4 year degree here in the uk, so I'd love to be able to muck around with the power of a psp.

I wish you all the luck, however without an actuall PSP I'm pretty useless. Anyway I have a few simple questions that just need quick anwsers.

When I get back to the uk in may (4th), I really really want a psp. Do people advise I get a US one? Should I wait for the uk release (which I guy I know who works at a game shop said that I should not expect a release till October, I can't wait that long!). What is the region coding like on the movies? Software or hardware based? Any ideas of getting around it? Haven't seen much on that so just wondering...

For the PC are there better codecs than "mepgable" to run the psp movies in windows (i know windows sucks but it's doing what i need out here). Mepgable just seems to take ages to load and it makes my pc crash if the file doesn't seem standard. What do you guys advise?

Anyway good luck, wish I could help. I think a 1GB ms and a psp would make a good bday present on may 12th... heheheh :D I'm currently leaning towards US release......

Energy
weak

Post by weak »

as european you should get a japanese model imho. it's pretty likely that the region codes for movies are the same as for dvds. that would mean europe and japan are both region two.
Energy

Post by Energy »

weak wrote:as european you should get a japanese model imho. it's pretty likely that the region codes for movies are the same as for dvds. that would mean europe and japan are both region two.
I thought Japan was region 4???
When importing Japanease DVDs I usually have to run it through a region free player. Also I'd be suprised if Sony left it so that 2 major regions were the same... I dunno... but if so I'll prob get a Jap one then. BTW did the US PSP still have the eject mechnism problem???
weak

Post by weak »

i didn't come across any serious confirmation of "the eject mechnism problem". i doubt there is one.

anyway, i have a japanese psp. although games have no region protection the first copies of ridge racers had a region mark. so has mine and it's saying region two.

and for the dvd regions, you may want to check that link. you'll see japan and europe are both region two.

Post by Guest »

Japan and Europe are both region 2 on DVDs.

The thing is though, Japan is NTSC while Europe is PAL.

This is an additional factor in determining whether a DVD will play or not. This is why Japan DVD's still do not necessarily play in Europe and vice-versa.
Energy

Post by Energy »

gorim wrote:Japan and Europe are both region 2 on DVDs.

This is an additional factor in determining whether a DVD will play or not. This is why Japan DVD's still do not necessarily play in Europe and vice-versa.
I usually make sure all my stuff is 60mhz compatible so NTSC is no problem. No black and white flickery screens for me! lol. I hope they don't lock it in PAL for the UK PSP... lol. It'd be crap! lol

As for the eject mechnisim problem weak, it does work. We flung a demo umd at a few people in the shop with my mates japan psp. Has 2 dead pixles too!! Thats my only concern about importing one.

Hmm but I think I may get a japan PSP, especially if films will work on both regions.
pdc

Post by pdc »

Energy wrote:

I usually make sure all my stuff is 60mhz compatible so NTSC is no problem. No black and white flickery screens for me! lol. I hope they don't lock it in PAL for the UK PSP... lol. It'd be crap! lol

As for the eject mechnisim problem weak, it does work. We flung a demo umd at a few people in the shop with my mates japan psp. Has 2 dead pixles too!! Thats my only concern about importing one.

Hmm but I think I may get a japan PSP, especially if films will work on both regions.
it's all a question of luck m8.
you import with:

- no dead pixels
- a working square button
- no squeeky d-pad
- an actual PSP and not a bag of peanutt

You will be as happy as me ;)

The PSP will play JPN/UK movies and works on UK voltage so it's an attractive proposition!
Energy

Post by Energy »

pdc wrote:
Energy wrote:

it's all a question of luck m8.
you import with:

- no dead pixels
- a working square button
- no squeeky d-pad
- an actual PSP and not a bag of peanutt

You will be as happy as me ;)

The PSP will play JPN/UK movies and works on UK voltage so it's an attractive proposition!
Well I trust LikSang. I was on their preorder since June last year (or july can't remember) and just didn't have the money to buy one. Especially when they started charging ridiculous amounts. So I went on the trip instead of the PSP.. (if u want to read about the trip http://ethiopia.lpfuse.co.uk , shameless plug! yay! :D)

But if it will still play UK PSP movies then I'd definetly get it. And if no problems with the actual hardware then I'm all up for it!!! Man after playing just ridgeracers I'm dying for a go on wipeout pure.... :D

Any ideas on codecs for PC?

Post by Guest »

Energy wrote: I usually make sure all my stuff is 60mhz compatible so NTSC is no problem. No black and white flickery screens for me! lol. I hope they don't lock it in PAL for the UK PSP... lol. It'd be crap! lol

1. PAL or NTSC shouldn't be an issue anyhow, since the graphics chip drives the LCD panel directly.

2. We don't know that films will work in both regions. It would require an assumption that the PSP UMD disks use precisely the same region model that is used by DVDs. All we truly know is that they use "a" region model, and we don't have any films yet, nor any PSP's Sony officially sells in the UK.
Energy

Post by Energy »

gorim wrote:
1. PAL or NTSC shouldn't be an issue anyhow, since the graphics chip drives the LCD panel directly.

2. We don't know that films will work in both regions. It would require an assumption that the PSP UMD disks use precisely the same region model that is used by DVDs. All we truly know is that they use "a" region model, and we don't have any films yet, nor any PSP's Sony officially sells in the UK.
1. Yeah as long as they include the ability for uk psps to handle 25 fps, instead of the japs 29 fps..... they may just convinetly forget.

2. Yeah that's a fair enough answer... I know, unless we have some hidden sony officials, we cant make a definet anwser. However I thought it was confirmed that it would be the same as DVD regions. Oh well. I thought that may be too good to be true. I'll see what happens. In the end I may fork out for both, but a jap one will do me fine for now... :D

Post by Guest »

Energy wrote:
1. Yeah as long as they include the ability for uk psps to handle 25 fps, instead of the japs 29 fps..... they may just convinetly forget.
Again, PAL or NTSC is not an issue, neither is used. The video capabilities should be 100% identical across the world. Game are designed for a video display that has the same dimensions, pixels, and refresh rates across the whole world.

The PSP has only one input voltage: 5v DC. The supplied transformer converts perhaps all world voltages.

So, you can feel safe. :)

Oh perhaps it was confirmed that the dvd regions system is used, I haven't heard. I wonder if they have to use a DVD logo if they use any part of that standard for their UMD though... *shrug*
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

gorim wrote:
Energy wrote:
Again, PAL or NTSC is not an issue, neither is used. The video capabilities should be 100% identical across the world.
I think he meant with regards to mem stick video playback, were currently having to encode our pal dvds to 29.97 fps.
Energy

Post by Energy »

Mawdsley wrote:
gorim wrote:
Energy wrote:
Again, PAL or NTSC is not an issue, neither is used. The video capabilities should be 100% identical across the world.
I think he meant with regards to mem stick video playback, were currently having to encode our pal dvds to 29.97 fps.
Yeah I'm just wondering if they're using that as a lockout feature... If u brought a JAP UMD movie, played it on a UK PSP it'd go out of sync.... or vice versa... Just a theory. I think they may of done it on purpose. It'd be a software switch somewhere, I'm sure someone would work out a work around. Similar to the current issue with pal mpegs on a memory card.
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

Energy wrote:
Mawdsley wrote:
gorim wrote: Again, PAL or NTSC is not an issue, neither is used. The video capabilities should be 100% identical across the world.
Yeah I'm just wondering if they're using that as a lockout feature... If u brought a JAP UMD movie, played it on a UK PSP it'd go out of sync.... or vice versa... Just a theory. I think they may of done it on purpose. It'd be a software switch somewhere, I'm sure someone would work out a work around. Similar to the current issue with pal mpegs on a memory card.
Maybe he was talking about UMD LOL.
Energy

Post by Energy »

Mawdsley wrote:
Energy wrote:
Mawdsley wrote: I think he meant with regards to mem stick video playback, were currently having to encode our pal dvds to 29.97 fps.
ok so I don't get hardware all the time lol. I'm learning as I go along. So let me get this right, how does using a UMD suddenly make the PSP understand 25fps, what we know from the memory stick it doesn't. Explain please... :/ surely a movie UMD is just a mpeg (a tad more complex I know) imprinted on the disc???
Mawdsley

Post by Mawdsley »

Energy wrote:
Mawdsley wrote:
Energy wrote: Yeah I'm just wondering if they're using that as a lockout feature... If u brought a JAP UMD movie, played it on a UK PSP it'd go out of sync.... or vice versa... Just a theory. I think they may of done it on purpose. It'd be a software switch somewhere, I'm sure someone would work out a work around. Similar to the current issue with pal mpegs on a memory card.
ok so I don't get hardware all the time lol. I'm learning as I go along. So let me get this right, how does using a UMD suddenly make the PSP understand 25fps, what we know from the memory stick it doesn't. Explain please... :/ surely a movie UMD is just a mpeg (a tad more complex I know) imprinted on the disc???

UMDs are only playable on the PSP. We dont have to worry about international standards to get it to work on certain tvs and such. So all UMD videos are likely to be the same the world over, just different region codes. EU UMD Videos are likely to be 29.97 fps.

The only place where 25fps comes into the process is when we are converting DVDs for use on the memstick. Hopefully sony will resolve this issue in time for EU release.
Energy

Post by Energy »

Mawdsley wrote: UMDs are only playable on the PSP. We dont have to worry about international standards to get it to work on certain tvs and such. So all UMD videos are likely to be the same the world over, just different region codes. EU UMD Videos are likely to be 29.97 fps.

The only place where 25fps comes into the process is when we are converting DVDs for use on the memstick. Hopefully sony will resolve this issue in time for EU release.
I'm not so sure. Think about it, sony original had a TV out built into the PSP. They then withdrew the feature, claiming they'd release an add-on at a later date to make it possible. So surly if they still intend to include a TV out, they will keep the PAL, NTSC, SECAM, NTSCJ standards. Unless they plan to have it so the add on converts it to you local region, which would probably make more sence.
Yoorah

Post by Yoorah »

I doubt that the UMD's resolution even high enough to make this all worthwhile. Video might look great on the PSP's small screen, but on a TV...
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.