I want to make a microcontroller act a RemoteJoy server

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

NeoTechni

I want to make a microcontroller act a RemoteJoy server

Post by NeoTechni »

I've contacted Tyranid but that did no good as he said he has no documentation on USBHostFS which he said I'd need

And I know a few people have implemented it.

Anyone have the documentation I'd need on the protocol?

What I'd love to be able to do is plug any PC controller into a microcontroller, plug it into PSPs USB port and have RemoteJoy just work.

And RJ not crash everytime I want to save but that's another wishlist...
Torch

Post by Torch »

Your pretty much on your own with this, doubt anyone is going to help. It'd probably be easier if you got a microcontroller thats easy to work with USB. The Hitech PICC toolkit has some samples on implementing a USB host I believe.
NeoTechni

Post by NeoTechni »

Thats the easy part. It's communicating with the PSP that gets tricky
Torch

Post by Torch »

NeoTechni wrote:Thats the easy part. It's communicating with the PSP that gets tricky
If your aim is to simply connect a gamepad to the PSP with a microcontroller in the middle acting as a host, then it really has nothing to do with RemoteJoy or USBHostFS.

You can establish communication between the microcontroller and the gamepad since thats standardized and documented. On the PSP just connect to the microcontroller using your own custom device class thats just simple enough to receive button data. Use your own PRX for this connection and for injecting the button presses.

Theres really no need to reimplement something thats fully compatible with USBHostFS' device class. If you do however it could lead to many possibilites like connecting external HDDs etc.

Theres another thread with information on connecting with your own device class. If you are capable of implementing a HID Gamepad host interface on a microcontroller, then a host interface for a custom device class should be trivial.
NeoTechni

Post by NeoTechni »

Well the microcontroller I am thinking about has drivers for USB gamepads already.

But I figure programming something like remotejoy is above me, meaning that I don't think I could do it. Even Tyranid cant get it perfect, his crashes whenever you try to save. I'm sure if he cant do it, I cant.
Torch

Post by Torch »

It propably crashes for other reasons seeing that it captures video as well. It also causes a sizable performance hit in most games. If you use your own PRX for hooking only the controller input and receiving USB data it will have almost zero performance hit. And theres no way it could cause anything to crash unless the game also tries to use USB or something.