PSP Soft Reset DoS via Network Scan

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

sethfogie

PSP Soft Reset DoS via Network Scan

Post by sethfogie »

For more info, check out the blog and video...

http://www.informit.com/discussion/inde ... 73d08ac355
senas8

Post by senas8 »

hehehe :) wicked man wicked.
otakucode

Post by otakucode »

What does he mean by "custom keyboard"?
sethfogie

If you're referring to the browser article..

Post by sethfogie »

...the keyboard is just something quick I came up with to help people enter URLs on the PSP browser. Using the default method is very slow and annoying...

Nothing major, but still very handy (at least I have found it handy)

http://www.informit.com/articles/articl ... &seqNum=11 is the link right to the keyboard section...
cheetah

Post by cheetah »

I used mangleme today and I have a couple pages that cause the Wipeout web browser to shutdown the PSP altogther. I wonder if there is some kind or watchdog the shuts down if a page fault is detected.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

I doubt that there is a watchdog for page fault. There is probably a convention for creating PSP code that the current process must kick the dog or else it gets shut down. So you lock up the browser with this DoS attack and the counter on timer is not reset any more - your PSP shuts down.
What does this button do?
fireether

Post by fireether »

I just ran a nmap scan on the PSP...
nmap -sS -v -v -p 1-65535 <psp ip> - this was during network test mode.

No ports found. Nothing founded except: (1) PSP is up, (2) MAC address is owned by sony.

So either the Ports being found is:
(1) A hoax. (2) Only while playing a certain game, which then begs the question, why does that game open up those ports? May end up being offtopic. (3) A result of older firmware.

In my opinion, the PSP doesnt require any ports open. It would make connections, and then get responses back to a preassigned port, but theres no need for it to sit there with ports open. Why would anybody put a FTP server on a PSP is beyond me, unless a game uses it to exchange data. But there are other ways that are more secure to exchange data than to use a commonly known protocol that would be detected immediately.

Another possibility is that the person who discovered the ports.. His router could've been blocking those ports, and then they turned up as "discovered". When nmap tried to scan them, the packets went through the router and were blocked - causing no reply, and showing up as filtered.

One side note.. After I scanned my PSP and I exited network test mode..
The Network LED remained lit. It didnt go out like it was suppose to.

Switching off the network (via switch) caused the led to flicker once or twice but remained lit. I turned on the network and then switched it off again, and the LED finally went off.

Thus, the network switch is soft and not hard. It may be 100% soft (i.e. program can choose to ignore the switch setting) or it may only be soft to the network processor / API.

Post by Guest »

There are a huge number of threads and conversations about this topic already in these forums. The consensus is that the nmap and other scanners were going through wifi access points / routers and seeing NAT ports opened up that appeared to be on the PSP. I suggest researching back through those threads and then commenting on whether or not any of those make any sense.