Wipeout D/Lable Content Update

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

muerte

Wipeout D/Lable Content Update

Post by muerte »

http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/news3 ... p?newID=87

Looks like we'll be able to download stuff to the mem. stick from the web browser soon enough. Possible buffer overflows here?
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

moved to general discussion, there is nothing dev related, a semi-interesting news blurb.
the ending question is entirely uninteresting and raises nothing but semi-erections from people who want others to find something for them.
Kung VU
jamima69

Post by jamima69 »

i swear this board has some of the nastiest mods around...granted the post should'nt have been in the dev forum,but do ya have to be so rough on the guy?
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

I like it rough. apart from that, it has been stated before, non-dev noise is too high. if it had been posted in general it might have been ok, but barely. there is no need to jump on the "buffer overflow" wagon for each and every goddamn news blurb about downloadable content, it just creates irritating buzz.
Kung VU
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

A few more posts and we'll be able to exploit a buffer overflow in blackdroid's underpants!
senas8

Post by senas8 »

At first I too thought that the mods were a bit too much....but you know it keeps this place in line.
weak

Post by weak »

jamima69 wrote:i swear this board has some of the nastiest mods around...granted the post should'nt have been in the dev forum,but do ya have to be so rough on the guy?
i appreciate the way the mods handle things here. time is precious and i come here to read dev related topics and not second hand news with some presumptions.
eeeeeebobb

hi! stupid newbie

Post by eeeeeebobb »

HI! ima stupid Newbie..
who knows about 2 college courses of programming...
(im getting there)
what, (exactly) is a buffer overflow.
just 'accidentally' writing past the end of allocaed space?
hi there pspeople!
jamima69

Re: hi! stupid newbie

Post by jamima69 »

eeeeeebobb wrote:HI! ima stupid Newbie..
who knows about 2 college courses of programming...
(im getting there)
what, (exactly) is a buffer overflow.
just 'accidentally' writing past the end of allocaed space?
if i were you,i'd be looking for a mod outside your window with a chainsaw after asking that question.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

While it appears like he may be trolling, it is a legitimate question about a development-related topic, specifically one that this thread was created to discuss.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow :
In computer programming, a buffer overflow is an anomalous condition where a program somehow writes data beyond the allocated end of a buffer in memory. Buffer overflows usually arise as a consequence of a bug and the use of languages such as C or C++ that are not "memory-safe". One consequence of the overflow is that valid data can be overwritten as a result. Buffer overflows are also a commonly exploited computer security risk—since program control data often sits in the memory areas adjacent to data buffers, by means of a buffer overflow condition the computer can be made to execute arbitrary (and potentially malicious) code that is fed to the buggy program as data.
jamima69

Post by jamima69 »

sigh.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

If you have to ask what a buffer overflow is, you aren't ready for the answer. Stick to 'hello world' type problems until you get more programming under your belt. This site isn't going to teach noobies how to program. When you come here, you better know more than writing a program that calculates pi to N digits.

The kind of question answered here: How do I setup dma to send gif packets to the gs?

If you have to ask what any of the terms used in the question are, you should keep quiet and lurk until you learn what they are and how they relate to programming the PS2. I suggest learning to program a PC first. Then download existing programs and documents for the PS2 (from sites like this one). Get familiar with the basic architecture of the console, try the demos, THEN come back with questions.

The PS2 is a much more complicated beast than your average computer. Noobies shouldn't be trying to program it. You don't take high-school freshman and put them in a formula-1 racer for their first lesson. You get that beat up Honda Civic. Go learn to drive the Honda Civic, then mess around with a Chevy Camaro, then maybe come ask about the F1 racer. ;)

Ditto for the PSP.
asmodi

Post by asmodi »

It's not the first thread that I'v seen people complaining about the moderators. You know what, Internet Forums ain't a place for democrazy. There is alot of other forums that you can post what ever you want about the PSP, and (I hope) this is not the place to post GUI's of non existent Linux dists.
You guys are lucky I'm not a moderator :)

black and gorim should try to be a little more like ooPo, harder :)
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

im sorry asmodi, but Im not made of maple syrup, I simply dont digest that stuff as well as canadians do. And we all know what excessive use of maple syrup does to a human. Its some scary freaky shit.
Kung VU
amauro

Post by amauro »

Wow, for a bunch of geeks with no real progress to show, you sure are feeling high and mighty...you rag on newcomers asking somewhat naive dev, or "tech support" type questions, but I see no real development progress being made yet anyway, so what's the harm? Obviously this beast is going to take a while to crack, but what's the harm in a guy asking what a buffer overflow is? This is obviously a dev question, and everyone has to start somewhere...I doubt anyone here sprung from the eye of Zeus knowing what a buffer overflow is and how to exploit it.

Also, mods, you might want to read the quote under the PSP General Discussion link:

"Got a question about video encoding? What memory stick to buy? Just need help? Ask here."

Is it any wonder people are asking non-dev questions? You mods are like power hungry bus drivers...no real-life influence, but MASTERS of their limited domain...you guys keep being dicks, and people are gonna get off and take a cab...

chill...
-Andy
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

*sigh*

When can we kill off the PSP General Discussion forum? This is getting too tedious.
"He was warned..."
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Oh, locked.
"He was warned..."
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I guess he missed the ps2dev.org part of the url to get here. *shrug*