Has anyone tried using a browser via the firmware update?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Histo

Has anyone tried using a browser via the firmware update?

Post by Histo »

Just wondering if anyone has tried changing the DNS and redirecting a link so that when the PSP trys to download a firmware update it will redirect to a portal? Just like the wipeout browser redirection that everyone is doing?

Just curious unfortuneatly i'm at work and unable to test untill Sunday.

Basically is the update sending a http request or a wget request?

Hopefully you guys understand what i'm talking about I'm tired pulling the third shift right now.

I didn't know if it was completely detirmined if the browser was software based or firmware based on the wipeout pure umd.
angelfly

Post by angelfly »

the network update doesn't use a browser interface like wipeout so if you were to redirect it would be useless.
darkfader

Post by darkfader »

I put the update file on my local server and it could download it. But attempts on exploiting the text files failed. Perhaps I should try changing the PBP file, but that has been tried already a little I think.
Histo

Post by Histo »

No I'm talking of just redirecting it the update process to a different page. I'm wondering how the PSP would react i.e. what sort of errors if any etc...
neonenergy

Post by neonenergy »

it could be part of the wipeout umd itself, but seeing how it matches the regular psp api, it would be probable to say that its part of the psp firmware. Such things can than be shared, like the save data screen, through many games.

as for the data transfer, it is most likely http. i dont think the psp ever loads up a web interface for the transfer however, fooling the dns and making your own file would probably be futile as well, as the eboot file is encrypted.

i sense the admins coming btw :P

Post by Guest »

Its all been done way back last december and january. people were playing with all sorts of ways to research how the psp gets its network updates. This was both before and after the fake update appeared.
Mr_Bogus

Post by Mr_Bogus »

neonenergy wrote:it could be part of the wipeout umd itself, but seeing how it matches the regular psp api...

It is confirmed that the wipeout UMD has the browser in it.
Not in the firmware yet.

This is taken from PSP chat with Product Manager John Koller

John Koller:
Wipeout Pure actually has a browser embedded in the code.

here is the whole transcript:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... sage.id=11
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Observe:
omega_m14: Will the psp offer usb headsets via infustructure mode>
John Koller: To omega_m14: The headset that is included with the Value Pack is the only headset type available...
Now that we have the context of the conversation put into perspective, let's examine the statement at hand:
xJoshx: There have been rumors about the next update haveing a web browser and an email client included in it, is there any truth in this. If this is true when should we be expecting this update, and will the cost be free?
John Koller: To xJoshx: There will be several firmware updates to address upcoming changes. The cost for firmware updates will be free. Wipeout Pure actually has a browser embedded in the code, but you are only able to access their downloadable content page - which will go live within the next 1-2 months.
He never said anything definitive about where the actual browser code exists, and he was mistaken on it only being able to access their downloadable content page. I doubt he has a firm grasp on the technical information answering this question definitively would require.

Its ok, though... he's just a product manager answering random questions from random people. He answered stuff a lot better than most other managers I've seen. :)