Memory Stick Protocol

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

plmars

Memory Stick Protocol

Post by plmars »

Ok, I am totally new to this kind of stuff, but does anybody know any technical information, how does devices communicate with memory stick? I have seen some converters that will let you plug in memory stick into CF readers. Will this work the other way? If i build a custom PCB and have it wired to a CF card will PSP read it as it would be MS?
pedroleite

Memory stick is not an issue

Post by pedroleite »

From two observations:
  • Savegames are moved from memory stick to pc to another memory stick in another machine... without problems, so the stick isn't the problem here.
    The downloaded files are the same, from the HTTP server and from the stick...
I believe we gain nothing in looking for answers in the stick... it's just a FAT formatted device laying there.

I don't see any MagicGate in the process... (maybe I'm wrong, prove it).[/list]
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> but does anybody know any technical information, how does devices communicate with memory stick?
There are limited technical documents on the Sony official memorystick.org website

> If i build a custom PCB and have it wired to a CF card will PSP read it as it would be MS?
Yes, it is possible, but you will need to build it from scratch - and program the adapter device yourself.
A homegrown effort has an ongoing discussion at:
http://www.psp-linux.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=134
(more than enough technical discussion to get started, but nothing working yet)

-----
"pedroleite" wrote:
> I believe we gain nothing in looking for answers in the stick...

True. If looking for mysteries of encryption, or an (obvious) exploit or other ways to hack into the core firmware of the the system - the memory stick interface won't help you.
Ignore any mention of "MagicGate" it is a red herring.

=====
This is a hardware device to enhance the PSP experience, overall.
Such a device (if built) would allow you to use CF or SD cards instead of the MS Pro DUO. Also possible is to hook up an ATA hard drive, potentially up to 32GB in size (MS Pro limit)

----
Commentary:
Perhaps a lot of work for little gain, but unlike about 99% of the stuff you read on "PSP hacker" boards out there, this is something concrete that can be done today
[unlike people speculating/dreaming about what could be done, and waiting for someone *else* to find an exploit]
plmars

Post by plmars »

PspPet wrote: This is a hardware device to enhance the PSP experience, overall.
Such a device (if built) would allow you to use CF or SD cards instead of the MS Pro DUO. Also possible is to hook up an ATA hard drive, potentially up to 32GB in size (MS Pro limit)
And thats exectly what i want. :-D
itsdave

Post by itsdave »

hey guys sorry for starting the same topic without looking around 1st :(, i guess im not only one who wants obscene storage with his psp. Any how this may seem a bit dumb, but what are the changes of the duo - cf adapter working backwards? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 4?v=glance

If anyone has experience wit this id greatly apreciate the input.

Thanks
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> but what are the changes of the duo - cf adapter working backwards?

Short answer: no
(connectors are the wrong gender, logic is completely backwards: MS interface Host going to a CF interface Client)

What we need is an MS interface Client (acting like a memory stick) going to a CF/ATA interface Host (which can control a CF storage card or laptop hard drive)

Longer answer: please read the longer thread mentioned above