How's SDL doing?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Neil Stevens

How's SDL doing?

Post by Neil Stevens »

Because of health problems, I haven't been able to follow over the last few months, so can someone tell me how the SDL port is doing? How featureful is it, how many extra libs are working, and how likely is it that one can port SDL games over to the PS2?

Thank you,
rinco

Post by rinco »

I found SDLmixer works great.
BraveDog

Post by BraveDog »

I have been using Stella 1.4.1 (atari 2600 emu) to test the current SDL.
I had to get pal/ntsc detection working (I submitted a patch to blackdroid for this).
Next Stella uses SDL_getTicks() so I compiled with ENABLE_TIMERS and pasted in timer code from ps2bor. I looked a little into finishing up the timer code, but haven't started it at this point.
I also needed to change the joystick code because Stella uses the AXIS events. So I added code to check and put the pad into Dual Shock mode.
I would submit this change, but I still have bugs in detecting a second pad.
After those changes Stella runs. Without sound it is running full speed, but slows down quite a bit when sound emu (SDL_mixer) is enabled.
I wanted to look into moving SDL_mixer to the IOP.
-BD
Neil Stevens

Post by Neil Stevens »

Wow, thanks, it's sounding very nice.
gawd

Post by gawd »

Hey.

I've been away for quite a while, and didn't commit any changes for SDL. I am very impressed to see that other people use SDL/PS2 for their own projects. I have three/four projects, 90% done, for PS2 and I hope to get around and finish them soon.

As for the post.

SDL_Mixer works with modules, waves and rwops. MP3 requires enabling of a variable in the Makefile, and ogg/midi are completely disabled at the moment. I had problems with my GCC, which is why I stopped coding for PS2 (recently I recompiled the new toolchain under freebsd and it works perfectly.)

Anyway. SDL_Timer is implemented WRONG. And SDL_GetTicks returns 0. I reimplemented SDL as I progressed with my projects. I should have posted an SDL progress bar, but if somebody implemented these, I'd be more than glad to be given the patches.

All in all. I can be contacted via private message or email, as I am __so occupied__ with work and life :)

Cheers!
gawd

SDL status page

Post by gawd »

Hey.

I finally added an entry to my wiki. I will update it whenever PS2SDL is upgraded.
In the meanwhile, you can check the status at

http://www.megidish.net/wiki/index.php?title=ps2sdl

-- gawd.