PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

k0nan

Post by k0nan »

OmX, thanks, I'll run some torture test xvid's on it later today and see how it handles. I swear by PMPmod and use it daily, so it'll take some serious horsepower to impress me. :)
OmX

Post by OmX »

Tell me about it. PMPmod handles any converted movie i can throw at it (except my RCE encoded Dude! Where's My Car? DVD curiously). Definitely looking forward to future developments.
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

It still had trouble with my torture xvids (Q3 VBR heavy activity), less popping than pmpmod, but still noticeable. So yes, it is faster to a degree, maybe 1-3%. It's nice that it accepts avi straight up and has sleep mode, it'll be interesting to see how it comes along. But for now, I'm sticking with tried and true PMPmod (with malloc's and raphael's fine additions).
Last edited by k0nan on Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csuper

Post by csuper »

@k0nan :
Yeah "Sleep mode" should be a great addition to PMP Mod... jonny, if you hear me ;) ...
But I noticed that the sleep mode of PSPmT is buggy... yeah the video is well resumed but 10 secondes after a loop occured...

@jonny :
I heard that the PMP format of your next version (April one's) is changing... do you add a way to manage natively subtitle in the format .. ?
Do you plan a PMP demuxer for the next release ?
Will be MP3-VBR supported !! ???? :o ;)

Ok ok enough questions, I'm going to hang myself now, sorry for the mess... ;)

Ciao Lads...

csuper.
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

@csuper

WTH are you talking about ? You got insider news... ??? Sounds amazing ! I´m so tensioned...
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@csuper:
I don't know about the Demuxer and VBR, but I would be surprised if jonny put together some subtitle functionality for his next version, esp. since this can be done independant of the file format (and even more so if he read any of my other posts, where I already let out that I'm currently working on subtitles).
I haven't talked to him for quite a long time now, but the last I knew was he was up to more optimizations. He's probably also the only one around here to be capable of that :)

Regarding the sleep mode - it's impossible for now as long as the ME is used, so currently there would only be the option of speed vs. sleep mode.
And I know which one wins for me :)
jonny

Post by jonny »

subs: no
demuxer: no
vbr mp3: yes (and multi audio tracks)
Noexicaise

Post by Noexicaise »

Hello, I have a problem with tihs soft each time I boot it, I've seen a black screen with somes character and then I go back from main menu of the psp
I ve a 1.5, i create a folder called VIDEO and put somes files (.pmp) and I put PMPMOd on the game folder, so what's the matter
I would like to try this soft please help me
csuper

Post by csuper »

jonny wrote:subs: no
demuxer: no
vbr mp3: yes (and multi audio tracks)
Sorry Raphael, I didn't know (or look the "MOD" thread for a time...)
-- Mea culpa boys --
AUDIO VBR is a great news ! :)
Not related : so how's your tests with the 4GB DATA HARDDRIVE ?

csuper...

Ps : I knew that I sould hang myself after THAT post... sorry again...argh.
jonny

Post by jonny »

the fastest sandisk should have the same speed of the hd in the next version (at least after some preliminar tests i've made)
jonny

Post by jonny »

a new version is out

http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/

First of all, the pmp format is changed.
There is a "remuxer" to convert files from the old format to the new one.
The remuxer is a command line application, the easyest way to use it is to drag and drop files over it (the new file will be written in the same dir of the old one, along with the log file containing the result of the conversion).

And now the changes in this version:

- VBR MP3s are now supported
- Multiple audio streams can be used (use "select" to switch audio streams)
- Reading routines are now optimized, the app is fully usable with the harddisk or a slow memstick
- Volume boost (from malloc)
- Fast seek with left/right+cross (from malloc)

Some notes about the reading routines:

Reads are now sequential and asynched.
Users with the fastest sandisk should expect ~0.5 fps gain (the speed gain goes all in the high bitrate scenes, so should be noticeable).
The speed difference between the fastest sandisk and the harddisk is ~0.5 fps.
All the other memsticks are in the middle (for example the standard 32MB Sony memstick is 0.1fps slower than the sandisk).
Performances can be considered aligned now.
The harddisk speed is around 2MB/sec. So, in the worst case, the app can read around 16MBits/sec of video+audios in a "trasparent way" (so, without hitting the general performance).
Last edited by jonny on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

jonny wrote: - Multiple audio streams can be used
I love you
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

woo~hoo
Just at the same time as a new PBP set from Pochi!
Pic0:
http://pochistyle.pspwire.net/icons/too ... 1_trim.png
Pic1:
http://pochistyle.pspwire.net/bg/launch ... h_BG01.png
Thanks Jonny!
I was thinking, since Circle isn't used on the main screen, can it be used to launch PMPs ? (aka, same fuction as X).
Japanese users & I would love you for this!
See you,

Alcahest
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

In 2.00, can the contrast be changed? Because making the contrast brighter really solves the ghosting problem on my PSP screen. I know Malloc did a mod in the previous version but was it every included in this version?
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

Quick question, will the old video converters released by others still work if I just replace the old muxer with new one?

Oh, and thanks for the new release :)
psp360

Post by psp360 »

jonny just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work, it's people like you that make owning a PSP super cool! keep up the good work dude!!!
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

Hey that´s surprising, what a nice surprise --- we love you, Jonny !!

Also ask myself about luminance, this is very important.

What does the "Debug Level" value do ???

EDIT: After first testing I confirm, the performance is MUCH better....
Indeed it is even better than PSPlayerMT. I got stuttering only with highest top-level full screen demand and many many scenes working now that did not before. I´m just searching for other scenes stuttering but I know it will be difficult to find such scenes. Absolutely amazing Jonny !!!! Now we are just one step before absolutely ALL PAL fullscreen divx vids can be played perfectly. It is just a little little bit missing. Congrats !! .
Last edited by Eingang on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Cheers Jonny for the early easter present.

All the best

J.
manchestorunited

Post by manchestorunited »

is it better if we re-encode our original w/ the new muxer or is it as good as it is if i use the remuxer on my old pmp?
DrNicket

Post by DrNicket »

manchestorunited wrote:is it better if we re-encode our original w/ the new muxer or is it as good as it is if i use the remuxer on my old pmp?
It's always better to reencode from the most original source you've got. That's not to say there will be any noticeable difference with SOME videos.
Dr. Nicket
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my BOOMSTICK!"
- Ash (Bruce Campbell)
GiBBz

Post by GiBBz »

thanx as always "jonny" PMP has never left my PSP since day 1 ;)
(+.[____]·:·)
jonny

Post by jonny »

thanks to all
I was thinking, since Circle isn't used on the main screen, can it be used to launch PMPs ? (aka, same fuction as X).
i hope to remember this for the next ver :)
Quick question, will the old video converters released by others still work if I just replace the old muxer with new one?
yes
can the contrast be changed? ...
about luminance
this is still not here because i'm going to change the color space conversion routines in the next version (luma boost is included here)
it will be included in the next version if i'll not find problems
(anyway i think malloc/Raph version will be updated soon)
What does the "Debug Level" value do ???
It simply print more infos on the log (expecially from the avi parser)
is it better if we re-encode our original w/ the new muxer or is it as good as it is if i use the remuxer on my old pmp?
suppose you have the usual avi and the mp3

1)
- mux the files with the old muxer
- use the remuxer obtaining file1

2)
- mux the files with the new muxer obtaining file2

file1 and file2 will be binary identical
mraeburn

Post by mraeburn »

Jonny - thanks for this update and just wanted to thank you for the "remuxer" which is extremely useful for me as I have so far converted 70+ movies in the old format. Would have been a nightmare to of had to redo them from scratch again. Love the porgram and have been using it everyday since your first release.

To take advantage of the VBR MP3 sound should we be now setting Belight as per below? Also does this now minimise the "background" hiss?

Instead of setting bit rate - we select quality.

Thanks again.
jonny

Post by jonny »

i use the exact same settings used before, but unchecking "Restrict Encoder to Constant Bitrate"
in this way i can control at least the average bitrate
the quality mode could result in a too much higher bitrate
i'll soon do some benchs, i've still not tested how much the mp3 bitrate influence the performace

about the high f. noise, it's still here (you'll be notifyed when/if i'll do something about it)
So Solid Jedi

Post by So Solid Jedi »

Cheers, Johny for this update to an already fantastic program. Keep up The Good Work
imutau

Post by imutau »

Yikes! Foget Aboudit!
Last edited by imutau on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
manchestorunited

Post by manchestorunited »

firmware 1.50 only

PMP MOD V2.0 only works w/ 2.0 pmp files
saarutobi

Post by saarutobi »

Great work Johny! 1 question though. What does this mean: "Error: pmp_file_open: invalid tot_size"? I am using a rip of Spaceballs I made that was encoded in VDUB with XviD. :)
Alucard77

Post by Alucard77 »

Hi Jonny,

First off, I just wanted to let you know what an amazing job you have done. I know this has been said multiple times, but I don't think you know how much your work is appreciated. I commute via train 4 hours a day and I use your program daily. You make my commute a whole lot more enjoyable, and I thank you.

On a completely different note, I was wondering how far do you think you are from having this program be able to resize video. In this way we wouldn't have to encode divx or xvid files we may already have, but in the non compliant size.

That would make rumuxing so much easier, as a lot of the times I spend hours encoding my xvid tv eps just to resize. In either case, this is not a complaint what so ever, just a question. Thank You again!
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

Jonny you've done it again! Unbelievable, this passed my Q3 VBR torture divx flawlessly without a single audio pop! For the heck of it, I did a head-to-head matchup with the same clip against PSPlayerMT and the difference was night and day (the latter was full of pops and out of sync). You're a genius man, keep up the astounding work!