Tyranid Fire Demo

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

steviedisco

Tyranid Fire Demo

Post by steviedisco »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums, so please be gentle.

I've been learning MIPS assembly with a view to getting some simple demos up and running on the PSP (plasmas and suchlike).

I'm not intending to do any serious development with assembly as I realise it would be too much hard work and much easier/quicker to develop in C/C++.

But anyway, I'd like to give it a go to see if I can put my new assembly skills to good use.

So - as far as I can see, the only available example source code is Tyranid's fire demo. Now, I have read through the source, compiled it successfully and pretty much understand what it is doing, apart from the finer points of the fire-generating code itself.

The problem is, I can't get it to run on my PSP. I have the latest version of the firmware AFAIK (5 or so).

Is this because the syscall addresses are different from firmware to firmware? Is this the same thing as NIDs? (I don't know what that refers to). I understand that something interesting happens to them after a certain firmware version.

I've also tried stripping out everything from the hello world example, compiling it and disassembling the output using PRXTool. I generate a file which is several hundred Kb long, and is very difficult (and somewhat fruitless) to sift through.

So, has anyone got the demo to run successfully, and any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong.

I'd really like to get a foot in the door with the demo as I'm sure I can run with it once I do.

I'd like to create some well-documented example source code so others don't have to struggle to get assembly code running like I have.

Many thanks,
jojojoris

Post by jojojoris »

To run it on your psp you have to use Custom firmware or make use of an HEN (homebrew enabler) to run your own programs. If you have ps firmware 5.03 you can use the recently discovered ChickHEN. If you have 5.50 you have to downgrade using a Pandora battery. But i am not going to tell you how you should use it because a simple google search usually enough to get that information.

Sony doesn't want people to create their own programs in the psp. That's why you have to instyall custom firmware in your psp which enebles you to run your own code.

Code: Select all

int main(){
     SetupCallbacks();
     makeNiceGame();
     sceKernelExitGame();
}
steviedisco

Post by steviedisco »

I should have said, I do have custom firmware on it - I used a pandora battery to do it. I have had plenty of homebrew stuff working, such as the samples included with the PSPSDK but I can't get the ASM fire demo working.
sauron_le_noir

Post by sauron_le_noir »

Steve the firedemo program is for a kernel 1.0 or 1.5 only it haven't be ported to firmware > 1.50.

What you can do is just a simple hello world program in c and ask gcc
to generate for you the assembler file, so you can study him