connecting a PCMCIA modem on the older PS2 versions...

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Battousai1

connecting a PCMCIA modem on the older PS2 versions...

Post by Battousai1 »

The older PS2 version i.e. SCPH-10000, SCPH-15000 has a "PC Card" at the back instead of a "bay" and a PCMCIA modem fit exactly.. the question is is there a driver to run a PCMCIA modem? or it is not possible to really connect one?
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

If you can get ahold of the network adapter for these machines (it's a PCMCIA card of course) then technically you could use ps2dev9.irx from ps2drv and ps2smap.irx from ps2eth to drive it. In other works, ps2link should work on these machines, but that's never been tested.

There aren't any PS2 drivers for PCMCIA modems that I'm aware of.
Battousai1

Post by Battousai1 »

mrbrown wrote:If you can get ahold of the network adapter for these machines (it's a PCMCIA card of course) then technically you could use ps2dev9.irx from ps2drv and ps2smap.irx from ps2eth to drive it. In other works, ps2link should work on these machines, but that's never been tested.

There aren't any PS2 drivers for PCMCIA modems that I'm aware of.
so theres no use for a PCMCIA modem unless I make a custom driver for it? btw is the PCMCIA network adapter only for broadband? how about dial-ups?

sorry for the silly questions..
Dr.Wily

Post by Dr.Wily »

It exist a module to use the hard disk and PCMCIA card.

PCMCIA card for jap PS2 contain a connetor for external HD and a RJ45 plug for broadband network.

In the FFXI game and BB Navigator (and jap linux kit) there is inevitably a driver for PCMCIA plug and HD.

why it not exist today (after 5 years) a driver for the old models of PS2 ? (10000, 15000, 18000)
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

ps2link works quite happily on my 15k, the network drivers work perfectly.

Of course the 10k and 15k bioses had a horrible bug in ExecPS2 which unless patched generally causes ps2link to lock up, but that is another story.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Shall we implement our own... ?
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Dr.Wily

Post by Dr.Wily »

ps2link works quite happily on my 15k, the network drivers work perfectly.
You can use a HD-A\L on your 15k PS2 ?!
Of course the 10k and 15k bioses had a horrible bug in ExecPS2 which unless patched generally causes ps2link to lock up, but that is another story.
And LaunchELF ? It working on 10k\15k\18k models ?
pixel

Post by pixel »

What the.... ???
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Dr. Wily: Thats against our rules. Some of your other posts were against our rules. I'm in a fairly good mood today but you are still about one post away from a ban.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Dr.Wily

Post by Dr.Wily »

OK sorry.

But my questions is not for copying game or others similar stuff. I already have an other model of PS2 compatible with this.

If I want more information about PS2 10000 and HD, it is only for dev purpose on THIS specific models.

But PS2 scene lack of interest for this olders models. Why ?

Post by Guest »

Maybe because there are so few of them in existance outside Japan. But Tyranid doesn't seem to have an troubles...

Basically it requires someone with possession and motivation to write a patch so that it will work. If none exists, it won't get done.
Dr.Wily

Post by Dr.Wily »

Yes, I want try to write module for PC Card port. But I don't kown if this plug is similar to DEV9.

Maybe the DEV9 plug on 30k models is just a PC card port with specific pinout ?