Why is 1.51 larger than 1.50??

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

RATiX

Why is 1.51 larger than 1.50??

Post by RATiX »

If it only adds a "security update" why is it 700KB bigger?

Anyone want to rip 1.50 and 1.51 and see what the update is really all about?
mikeytufftuff

Post by mikeytufftuff »

14 megs to add security? i hope it doesnt kill the wipeout browser exploit.
Histo

Post by Histo »

It can't kill the wipeout pure downloads redirection.
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

mikeytufftuff wrote:14 megs to add security? i hope it doesnt kill the wipeout browser exploit.
How would FIRMWARE affect the insides of the software, unless it specifically killed the WiFi connection, etc...?? And it's not an extra 14MB, it's 700KB more.

Still, that seems a lot for just "security".

Post by Guest »

I don't recall Sony ever releasing a list of what specifically is updated in their firmware releases. For sure, there are security updates and fixes. We don't know what else is fixed.

There is 32MB of flash on the PSP. There is much additional room for Sony to add stuff, and surely they will.

In other news, more games are released for the PSP. Does anyone know why Sony is releasing more games ? Current sentiment is that it is for increase entertainment, but surely the what we currently have is enough ? :)
L0j1k

Post by L0j1k »

I would imagine that Sony is trying to flood the platform with as many titles as possible, as is their MO with consoles. It's what projected the playstation format as an industry leader. 500 million games makes people buy the platform, and then the games.

On that note, I recall vaguely a thread here that posted an informal (perhaps irc) conversation between a member here and a 'dev' who worked for a studio. In the conversation the 'dev' mentioned that Sony was pushing software through the release process while being lax in the rules policy to prevent exploitation. I've searched again and again for this thread, but have come up empty, so I apologize for that.
--
Eyeore, arm photon torpedoes and lock phasers on the Heffalump. Tigger, Piglet, meet me in Transporter Room Three.

This post posted using 100% recycled electrons.
--