Seems 1.0's existence delays psp's hacking

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

konfig

Seems 1.0's existence delays psp's hacking

Post by konfig »

I've been here for some time. People here who care psp's hacking seems much less since the fact that bare elf can run on 1.0 was found.

I ever wondered why sony did not disable bare exe in pbp package. Just disable unencrypted exe in the 1.0 firmware would mean nothing. Maybe sony left this hole just to delay or discourage psp's hacking?

Honestly, I have a 1.5 psp and know little about hacking. I believe that once homebrew software successfully runs on 1.5 psp, we will have no problem in future firmware versions(just exploit the upgrade file). But now I am afraid another 1.0 psp will be necessary in the future.
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

people are just making do with what they can, alot of people have 1.5+
the 1.0 was only on sale in japan for 4-5 months, ever since the us launch all us/jap units are already 1.5, and i would imagine alot of the old 1.0's ended up flashed to 1.5 and 1.51, just be patient, it'll happen, remember every psp bought in the US, and every psp thats going to be bought in europe, will be 1.50 (possibly even 1.51 in europe?), honestly its probably best that a new hack isnt found until the end of september, because if it was, sony would patch it and release a new update, thus most likely quickly applying the update to retail boxed psp's set for europe release)

anyway, the 1.0 existance doesnt slow down development, it just allows one area of development to progress in preperation for when the next area is ready, just think when an exploits found you'll already have so much cool software ready to go :P
Vyrus001

Post by Vyrus001 »

/me hopes that linux is one of those "cool programs" :P

Post by Guest »

I don't see any delays due to homebrew with the 1.0. Things have moved amazingly fast. Sure, not for 1.5 folx, but can't expect people to wait around while people twiddle their thumbs on crypto.
Last edited by Guest on Mon May 23, 2005 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

The main flaw of this view is that people tend to have a 1.0 or a 1.5 unit - not both. So homebrew on 1.0 wouldn't stop the people with 1.5 from still trying to find a way in.

Be patient, it will happen eventually. And as Fluff pointed out there is lots of progress being made so that when you're able to join in you'll have some good tools available.
pyrosama

Post by pyrosama »

Look at it this way:

Not every one working on the psp knows how or wants to work on hacking 1.5 some people would rather wright games or apps and those people have a chance to write the software when they would have just been sitting around waiting for 1.5 to be hacked. And the people who love hacking are working on the 1.5 issue because that is what they enjoy.

It has only been a good thing. It also gave us alot of great information to work with so it has sped things up and will ultimatly lead to the 1.5 being hacked sooner

P.Sama
konfig

Post by konfig »

My thanks to all enthusiastic people above.

With the cool psp in hand, files transfering between psp and pc so convenient, but can't run any code on it, seems I am too eager to wait.

I see 1.0's existence has greatly encouraged homebrew. Once 1.5 become no problem, there will be many good software for 1.5 at once.

As for 1.5 hack, I think once homebrew software runs on 1.5, the firmware and upgrade data will be bare to us. So it will be much easier to hack other versions. Also the bare firmware will give us many useful information about the psp hardware.

Hope that day be soon.
Vyrus001

Post by Vyrus001 »

gorim wrote:I don't see any delays due to homebrew with the 1.0. Things have moved amazingly fast. Sure, not for 1.5 folx, but can't expect people to wait around while people twiddle their thumbs on crypto.
if i had a test clip (or knew how to use one) i would totaly "twiddle my thumbs" with crypto (that i have no idea how to use, or crack)

that is what hacking is, wanting to know somthing, then finding the information nessisary to learn it :P.
agentmark

Post by agentmark »

I certainly think v1.0 actually encouraged hacking.
The development of such a large library of homebrew in such a short time has shown what a versatile platform the PSP is. This is a great motivation to crack the limitations imposed by v1.5x.
I think there is something to be learned from this in that it's not always a good idea to upgrade to the latest official firmware. If v1.5x is compromised (and we all hope it will be) then Sony will almost certainly be trying to force another upgrade with the ability to lock out third party appz again. I'm guessing after what's happened there will be constant stream of official and unofficial "patched" versions with the inevitable casualties of warrany-voiding botched firmware flashes. Still, them's the breaks.....
streethawk

after september

Post by streethawk »

wouldnt it be best if when a hack for 1.5 is found (havent team xecuter?)
that it should at least wait till after the europian launch is over so if, it isnt newer firmware, then uk psp's and others can be hacked, thus increasing the hackable psp community

I know its not progressing it any faster, sorry to delay things for the eager people, i am, but wouldnt it be better?

or am i talking nonsense?
Shikyo

Post by Shikyo »

I think its very possible that if a group like team executer has figured it out already that they are holding out for the Euro Launch. Releasing a hack now would make Sony patch it for UK PSPs. Though it does suck having to wait 3+ months for the release un Europe.
streethawk

STICKY?

Post by streethawk »

shouldnt this be posted as a sticky so if someone does find a hack that they shouldnt share it with anyone they dont know.

that way we should have the upper hand over sony...when a hack is found on 1.5, sony must NOT get hold of it till after the uk launch
jimmygoon

Re: STICKY?

Post by jimmygoon »

streethawk wrote:shouldnt this be posted as a sticky so if someone does find a hack that they shouldnt share it with anyone they dont know.

that way we should have the upper hand over sony...when a hack is found on 1.5, sony must NOT get hold of it till after the uk launch
yea right.

that would never happen in a million years even if the internet didn't exist..
agentmark

Post by agentmark »

No, I don't think a hack would be kept secret either. The whole dynamic of the hacking scene depends on fierce competition.
With luck Sony are now committed to whatever they're doing in terms of the pan-european launch. They'll be gearing up production to meet demand on launch day. They were talking about 2 million units a month last time I saw - that's only about 6 million units before September.

I was thinking about the v1.0 firmware and why Sony would allow it out in the first place. I guess it makes sense if they wanted to produce units for developers to use as well as producing units for general sale. Having one production run instead of two makes good economic sense, especially as they can mop-up the early firmware with forced upgrades (to play later games). There's no way they'd want to give developers the ability to apply a Sony digital signature as that would put the keys outside of Sony's control. Better to give them units that can run unsigned code.
The same is true of the UMD. Sony seem willing to allow third party production of media discs (video, music) but are keeping game production in-house.
I can't help thinking they've got this thing very firmly locked down. Sony, along with the rest of the world has learned what the best hackers in the world have taught them over the years. It's not uncrackable, but whether it's crackable in the lifetime of the product (or any of us) is another matter.