BIN files

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

piercer

BIN files

Post by piercer »

First of all apologies if this is useless - still finding my feet.

OK I initally thought a brute force dictionary attack on the BIN file in my save game directories for Hot Shots golf and wipeout would be fairly simple. The bin file for wipeout is even called PROFILE.BIN ( ;-) ).

Both these games have saved cames with my name Conrad (hot shots) and CONRAD (wipeout) associated with them.

Assuming that these files contain a key somewhere in them (like data2.bin) and assuming that they use the cyclic sha1 stream ciphering and assuming the seed for this SHA1 is the one given in the java download agent - then I can search throught these files systematically picking out keys (of lengths 15-40 say) from the file in order until I find one that produces some decrypted output with meaning.

HOWEVER after fruitlessly looking for CONRAD in the wipeout PROFILE.BIN (got a CONR at one point - exciting!) I realised that my name was in clear type in the PARAMS.SFO file (hahahahaha). Sooo this got me to wondering - what are the BIN files?????

At the moment I am at a loss but I am asking if anyone can think of meaningful sequences of bytes that might be worth searching for?

Any suggestions would be useful.

Thanks

Conrad

Post by Guest »

I think that may be the file that contains the splash screen data for sound/music, mini-video, and still-image, that is displayed whenever you highlight a save in the memory stick.
Shine

Re: BIN files

Post by Shine »

piercer wrote:Assuming that these files contain a key somewhere in them (like data2.bin) and assuming that they use the cyclic sha1 stream ciphering and assuming the seed for this SHA1 is the one given in the java download agent - then I can search throught these files systematically picking out keys (of lengths 15-40 say) from the file in order until I find one that produces some decrypted output with meaning.
You don't need to do this any more :-) see see http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2218
Danj

Re: BIN files

Post by Danj »

Shine wrote:
piercer wrote:Assuming that these files contain a key somewhere in them (like data2.bin) and assuming that they use the cyclic sha1 stream ciphering and assuming the seed for this SHA1 is the one given in the java download agent - then I can search throught these files systematically picking out keys (of lengths 15-40 say) from the file in order until I find one that produces some decrypted output with meaning.
You don't need to do this any more :-) see see http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2218
Actually I would say that it is still useful to pursue this since it could eventually lead to a PC-based utility for extracting save file data, which would be of use to people who have already updated to 1.51 or 1.52 (either because they didn't know it would block homebrew or because they got a game which required an update to play). The SaveDataTool that you linked to can only run on a PSP, and only a 1.00 or 1.50 PSP at that. It should be useful in that it can provide the "plaintext" that matches the "ciphertext" encrypted BIN file, but I do not think that reversing the encryption should just be given up on.
Dan Jackson