Video Out?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

theBishop

Video Out?

Post by theBishop »

Is there any hope for a video out either from Sony or through hacking? Could any of the jacks on the PSP be possibly used for an output?

What about through hacking? I would think it would be possible to find the wires that connect to the LCD and split them so they go to an output jack as well. Obviously, that would be less than ideal though.

Anyway, i wondered if anyone has seen anything about this. I saw some E3 videos where the PSP was going out to a TV display, but its unclear if those were "special" units.

Now that 2 UMD movies have sold over 100,000 copies, it seems like Sony has to do something about this.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

If the internal LCD screen uses something called LVD as a connector/protocol, you can buy boards that plug into it and output as DVI. That would work fine for connecting to HDTVs.

Keep in mind that the screen is most likely digital and would need some sort of conversion to display on a normal TV. You can't just splice in.
theBishop

Post by theBishop »

Heh, i was just about to fall asleep and it occured to me that the connection was probably digital so, it would me more difficult than just a 2 wire solder job.

But with a laptop LCD panel, they are sort of custom to their model, i would guess this is sort of similar.

But there's no reason to believe it could be done with the existing jacks? What about inside the headphone jack is there any addictional contacts besides the standard stereo?

I don't mind opening my PSP up, but i'd hate to void my warranty so soon after getting the system. I already had to return it once for dead pixels and sticky shoulder buttons.
toddz

Post by toddz »

I wouldn't bother opening it up, besides voiding the warranty you won't find much useful except two flat cables connecting the main board to the LCD panel. I assume the smaller one is for power and the larger for all the digital signals.

Also, once you try to get the front cover back on, you are going to find it hard to not get dust inside on the LCD or the backside of the clear portion of the front cover. And if you get a smudge or something else on the inside of the front cover and try to wipe it off prepare to scratch the clear portion permanently. It seems that the inside is not coated like the outside. I found that out the hard way.

Todd
Squall333

Post by Squall333 »

is it possible to have a video in? like plug your ps2 cables into your psp and play a game using only the psp screen
spiral

Post by spiral »

maybe with the PS3 there will be some sort of interactivity that uses the screen.
agent_stewie

Post by agent_stewie »

u know that umd movies wouldnt even look much better than SVCD's right?

the psp games/movies are only for the psp screen. outputing it to a display would only distort the image and soo on.

Post by DigitalFoundry »

toddz wrote:I wouldn't bother opening it up, besides voiding the warranty you won't find much useful except two flat cables connecting the main board to the LCD panel. I assume the smaller one is for power and the larger for all the digital signals.
Can any one with an open/bricked PSP tell me what the dimensions are for the LCD connector? The pic below shows the PSP's LCD connector on the motherboard, and it does look rather like the LDVS connection seen in my laptop. However, I've no idea of scale so a measurement would be very helpful :D

Matrixdub

Post by Matrixdub »

agent_stewie wrote:u know that umd movies wouldnt even look much better than SVCD's right?

the psp games/movies are only for the psp screen. outputing it to a display would only distort the image and soo on.
Incorrect. UMD movies are confirmed to be 720 x 480 i.e. same as DVD
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

Care to link that?

The big problem with your statement that UMDs are the same res as DVD is that the media engine would choke on such content without a dedicated decoder chip.H264 content in software on a 1.2Ghz processor plays 480p just fine, but the PSP's ME is at 222Mhz... HUGE difference, and last time I checked there weren't any dedicated H264 decoders available (Sony and Apple were the first to jump on H264 in the consumer market, IIRC).

Edit: Ignore me... I failed to notice that the PSP does have a dedicated H264 chip. :P

Although that brings up possibilities if someone comes out with a player for TVs or a cheaper, or larger screen dedicated movie player.
DigitalFoundry

Post by DigitalFoundry »

Sony want UMD to be the next MiniDisk, but more, um, successful.

They have publically stated in the past plans for standalone UMD players, but I can't help but feel that the whole exercise is a total waste of time.
Warren

Re: Video Out?

Post by Warren »

theBishop wrote:I saw some E3 videos where the PSP was going out to a TV display, but its unclear if those were "special" units.
All of the PSP demos at E3 that were connected to a display were running off of devkits which have a DVI out on them.

As for connecting similar looking connectors to the PSP motherboard, be prepared to fry your display or PSP. Just because connectors are the same does not mean that they are compatible.
Josh1billion

Post by Josh1billion »

agent_stewie wrote:u know that umd movies wouldnt even look much better than SVCD's right?

That didn't stop the Super Gameboy, which is pretty cool.
Josh1billion - PHP, C++, PSP programmer.